2017 Morel Update HERE

Morels.com Forums Indiana 2017 Morel Update HERE

This topic contains 152 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  FinderOfTheShrooms 7 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 153 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
March 18, 2017 at 9:17 am #93948

vern

Any body need a job ? looks like IU is looking a head coach… :mrgreen:

March 18, 2017 at 10:48 am #93952

tommyjosh

When should the greys start popping in southern Indiana :roll:

March 18, 2017 at 12:17 pm #93955

mmh

Vern

My wife has a lot of experience coaching from the couch, any idea who to contact at IU?

March 18, 2017 at 1:40 pm #93959

vern

Her coaching from the couch should produce at least as good as they have up till now…lmao…check Craigs list…job probably posted there..he-he.

@ tommyjosh, i live down in Clark Co. and last year it was around April 8th before anything started to pop. just need a few 70 degrees daytime with night time temps to stay above 45-50 degrees. if you see any May apples start then its time to get busy my friend.

March 18, 2017 at 3:02 pm #93964

pamorelsxs

Afternoon Vern and everyone — Like you, waiting on the spring weather . . . again. I told myself I’ll make good use of this down time to get things done around here while I wait. Weather over my way is lookin’ like a slow but steady warm-up with lots of precip predicted. I’ll take it and whistle while I work . . .

March 19, 2017 at 7:02 pm #93989

FinderOfTheShrooms

We needed that cold snap we just had, it slowed things back down a little bit.. The ground temps in my area were getting very close to critical conditions for fruiting.. If we would have gotten just a couple more warm sunny days before that cold snap moved in, our season could have been a total loss this year.. I’ve been watching the old farmers almanac and they hit the nail pretty much right on the head about the weather we’ve had the last few weeks.. According to them the weather is supposed to be pretty much normal for the rest of March and all of April.. Mother nature should start waking up here in the next couple weeks.. We don’t have much longer to wait fellas..

March 19, 2017 at 7:51 pm #93991

MorelsandManners

@finder i agree, this is what March is supposed to feel like. We were heading for an early and short season. This weather has got me amped for this season, it finally feels like it might be on time for once. I call it a friends get some too season, not just the family.

March 19, 2017 at 10:54 pm #93993

FinderOfTheShrooms

@MorelsandManners, I was starting to freak out over those southern IN finds posted on Matherly’s page.. His post are normally pretty reliable.. Thank God the snow came when it did.. It’s been a few years since we’ve had what I would call a normal season.. Last year started out great, but then temps climbed into the high 80′s and shut everything down a couple weeks early.. I’m stoked about this year also.. My grandpa always used to say, a mild winter means there will be plenty of morels for dinner.. My goal is to stuff my deep freezer completely full of morels and ramps this year.. Last year 40lbs filled my freezer up halfway.. So to hit my goal this year, I’m going to need 80lbs of mushrooms..

March 19, 2017 at 11:45 pm #93994

vern

hay FinderOfTheShrooms, how do you prepare you shrooms for the freezer ?

p.s…last time i hoped for a cold snap was in August…lol

March 20, 2017 at 9:47 am #93999

shroomtrooper

About ID for black morels, I was taught if the ridges are black or even darker than the body its a black morel. Some ridges are very black, some black morels not so much but are darker. If the body looks like a black Morel but the ridges are not black its not a black Morel. I am no expert tho

March 20, 2017 at 11:29 am #94002

ricard76

Very often the young newly popped blacks will be tan in color with no black ridges immediately. They will show black ridges after growing for a couple of days.

March 20, 2017 at 7:06 pm #94020

FinderOfTheShrooms

Vern, I learned this trick from my grandmother, and it’s by far my favorite method of preserving morels.. You prepare them exactly like you are going to cook them.. I cut mine in half, dip them into an egg and milk mixture, and dredge them into all purpose flour.. Then instead of cooking them, I arrange them in a single layer on cookie sheets, and place them in the freezer until they are frozen.. It usually takes about three hours or so.. You want them to be pretty much rock hard, so they won’t stick together when you put them in freezer bags.. If they stick to the cookie sheets, just slide a thin spatula under them, and they’ll pop right off.. They’ll keep in the freezer for a year, and you cant tell the difference between frozen and fresh when you eat them.. Just throw them into some hot oil right out of the freezer and cook them until they are golden brown..

March 20, 2017 at 8:22 pm #94022

vern

Thanks for the reply my friend. as it turns out you, your grandmother, and i are all on the same page. that’s exactly the same way i do it.
as for eating them, i always use a deep fryer. fresh oil highly recommended. add some horseradish sauce and Coronas and you are in business…

March 21, 2017 at 9:42 pm #94056

noskydaddy

@Finder

No pre-cooking before freezing?

Just want to clarify.

Thanks buddy

March 21, 2017 at 10:11 pm #94060

FinderOfTheShrooms

My dad puts horseradish on his morels.. Im not a big fan of horseradish though.. I like dipping mine in a tangy BBQ sauce, or the juice of a nice medium rare steak.. I tried something new with a few pounds of my smaller shrooms last year and they turned out pretty good.. I left them whole and stuffed them with a mixture of cream cheese, cooked Italian sausage, and diced ramps.. Then I breaded them and froze them like normal.. They didn’t last in the freezer very long, all three bags were gone before the end of May..

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.