Is 2016 gonna be a bust in MO?

Morels.com Forums Missouri Is 2016 gonna be a bust in MO?

This topic contains 45 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Jean Marie 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
April 2, 2016 at 8:13 pm #70913

KIRBY PRO

I predict the mothaload is coming this year. Rain chances 50% Tuesday and a small chance Wednesday!! If they’re correct it should get them poppin real nice!! It’s still gonna be good in the spots that always stay moist. ITS ON SHROOMDAWG!!! THE POSSE NEEDS TO BE PREPARED!!

April 2, 2016 at 11:18 pm #70947

ShroomDawg

kb, what we found today was huntin in the KC area. Some of my family has found shrooms on the bottoms in the St Joe area so it looks like they’re just getting started around here but we still need some rain. Heading out in the morning, I’ll give a report on how the Posse does tomorrow evenin.

April 3, 2016 at 12:24 am #70970

kb

thanks dawg, yeah i have picked some here in the hills and bottoms, not as large. They got more rain in the last week down that way. Things from here to Iowa could use a drink. Makes me think to go somewhere south like tomorrow, like I should have today.

April 3, 2016 at 8:26 am #70983

ShroomDawg

Kirby, the Posse is locked and loaded ya know it! Let me know if y’all find any this afternoon, we’ll be in touch………..l8r :wink:

April 19, 2016 at 11:35 pm #72602

kb

dawg. your title seems somewhat prophetic now. I can’t believe how few morels i have picked in Mo. so far. It may end up lower than since before i could drive. I hear about someone finding #10 , or more here and there. I have worked my —– off to get into double digits in pounds. Usually thats one trip.in a good year. that bunch you picked way back on April 2 look better all the time. We will see how things are up north now the season is old here. the rain to late. It actually made the ones i found tonight worse.

April 20, 2016 at 7:45 am #72619

ShroomDawg

kb, I kept on watching the extended weather forecasts starting in late March and everything was pointing towards a dry pattern with temperatures above normal, not a good mix. Some of the Posse is headin north today to see if they can pluck enough for the families. I’m working today but I’m off startin Thursday, I figure there is enough moisture in the ground to keep any that pop the next day or two in decent shape through the end of the week, hell maybe through Sunday.

So far this has been the worse year in decades, so yeah, it’s officially a bust unless I just happen to get lucky Thursday or Friday and walk up on a 50 ft Elm tree that died this past year and throw down on 30lbs, yeah right! LOL! :wink:

April 20, 2016 at 8:29 am #72622

NewB87

As optimistic as I was trying to be with the lack of experience I have got me off my ass and in the woods more then I would of. This only being my 6th year hunting for the fungus among us it’s definitely been the worste of any I’ve experienced. I’m starting to feel pretty lucky for the lbs I was able to track down but like you mentioned kb it was for the faint hearted the miles I had to put down to find them. Even with the predicted knowledge of a poor year from seasoned vets didn’t stop me from getting poison ivy already 3 times this year lol.

Funny thing is I’ve followed this site for a few years prior to becoming a member and have a select few I can count on less then one hand who I pay more attention to that’s taught me most of what I do know. I’ll never forget reading a comment from you Shroomdawg when someone was asking you for advice on where to find morels and you told them in that thick lol… “When your so deep off up in them woods and you look down and notice even the ticks are starting to jump off you your getting close” lol. I’ve covered some pretty brutal terrain and tell my self each time I get back from a 5-6 hour hunt how the hell do these vets do this days on end sun up to sun down weeks on end.

I did take a look at a few spots yesterday and found about a dozen 1 – 1 1/2″ fresh shrooms that popped after the rain Monday but the forest floor is coming alive more and more almost so that I sware it grows at least a inch before I get back out of the woods. Have a area I pulled almost 10lbs from last year hasn’t even produced a single morel this year. Still plan to keep checking a few spots in my area but not for very much longer. Just now seen my first box turtle yesterday witch I saw at least 5 last year before I started really getting into them. I’m sure its as good as over as its going to get but I’ll give up when I can’t lie to my self about it any longer. Witch isn’t very much longer lol good luck yall.

April 20, 2016 at 8:44 pm #72681

kb

New, i went back and found a few in the bottoms where i had been, but not as nice as those. You look like you are doing pretty good to me. been skunked more times this year than the last 20 combined. Don’t know if you don’t go though. Been a hard year. Goin north tomorrow to dawg, Reports are not good, same bad dry, I hear bottoms are best, but I did pick 2 dozen across the line last Thur. in the hills. Very small.

April 20, 2016 at 8:47 pm #72682

NewB87

I hope yall did as good as this guy did today… It wasn’t any motherload but picked 7lbs in 3 hours.

April 20, 2016 at 8:53 pm #72683

NewB87

Some fatties.

April 20, 2016 at 10:35 pm #72703

NewB87

Found a handful of fresh ones that didn’t look to have popped up that long ago.

April 21, 2016 at 8:57 pm #72824

kb

went a ways north in Iowa. walked for 6 hours in the hills. covered 7.35 miles. hit over a hundred elm. picked #7.75 of the best i have found this year. a good year that’s a #15-20 with all the trees i hit.. so not as bad as i anticipated. don’t miss any trees though. I picked almost two hundred of those on 2 trees. most had nothing or a few. size was perfect, not small, not blown out. rain had sogged some. if i was 10 years younger i would go back tomorrow and do it again. have to see how the feet and legs are come morning.

April 21, 2016 at 11:02 pm #72845

NewB87

kb this should of been a reply to the “shroomin ain’t for wussies” that’s some miles you put down today. I’m 28 and after a day like that im even questioning going out the day after, but also have a 6 and 4 year old that stop me from going when I want and go when I can. I found a spot yesterday about 50 miles wesr of olathe that was about a 200×200 yard patch that had medium to large sized morels every where I went and only covered less then half the spot I started finding them at. Ran out of day light plan on going out tomorrow and checking the other hlaf.

April 21, 2016 at 11:03 pm #72846

kb

new, those white ones do appear to be much fresher. Nice pics. I need to learn how to post pics. My buds will laugh if they read that, considering a minor phone upgrade takes me years. You could drive a couple hundred miles north and pick for another week in more bottoms, looks like you don’t mind the mind numbing walking. I went to the hills for a change.

April 21, 2016 at 11:13 pm #72847

kb

wow new, is that in a bottom? Surprised so many still down there,I know how it is. My son just finished college, and started working as an RN at the local hospital. I’m proud as heck of him. No loans either. It can be done. but i have a little more time, the problem is i am closer to 60 than 50. Long as there are shrooms to pick within a couple hundred miles or so I can make one day trips. Much further gets tough in one day. Wife does not like me to stay overnight.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.