Missouri Message Board 2016

Morels.com Forums Missouri Missouri Message Board 2016

This topic contains 126 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by  JeffSchre 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 127 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
April 3, 2016 at 12:17 pm #71004

SWI Shroomer

Dawg: Are you a hill hunter or river bottoms? I hunt a couple of counties north of the Iowa-Missouri border in southwest Iowa in the hills. I track the Missouri board to help time my first hunts, plus for all the great stories and pics. 80 here today. KB knows me from years on the morel boards.Need rain

April 3, 2016 at 2:45 pm #71012

blarneystone

I couldn’t take it any longer, i have cabin fever Went out to a conservation area in Saint Louis County today. Hunted form 10 am to 1:00 Pm and found 5 small grays. They were in a creek bottom on the southern bank side of the creek.
Still probably a week or two before the big yellows arrive.

April 3, 2016 at 4:06 pm #71016

trotline

[URL=http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/stepfount/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5pbryf8r.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r656/stepfount/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5pbryf8r.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]

April 3, 2016 at 4:12 pm #71017

trotline

Well will figure out how to post pic later. Tromped around for a couple hours, sat down to drink my water and take a break. Found one while sitting. Little smaller than the cap on my water.

April 3, 2016 at 6:29 pm #71024

kb

that was a question i forgot to ask SW. I picked some in the bottoms and the hills this week. 90 miles south of the border. Real dry between me and the border. Got skunked 30 miles south in Weston Bend today. Lots of sweating though. Came home when it became more work than fun. Strange year so far,

April 3, 2016 at 6:38 pm #71026

Jhoward1

Found one tulip morel under some honey suckles in jefferson county.I usually find them first, then grays about a week later, then yellows a week after.

April 3, 2016 at 6:59 pm #71028

trotline

April 3, 2016 at 7:51 pm #71036

ShroomDawg

SWI, today the Posse went out on the bottoms between KC and St Joe and found it was too dry, went back to the early spot (private land not in the bluffs) where we found shrooms yesterday and found another 1 1/2lbs, so in two days that early spot put off around 5 lbs. When/if we get some rain we’ll be back on the bottoms and then into the MO river bluffs working our way north towards IA. We need rain boys!

April 3, 2016 at 8:34 pm #71038

jmerx

Hey jhoward what part of Jeff county r u in? I went to wildwood and union today last couple days it’s been Festus and desoto.found them on the east side of jc.

April 3, 2016 at 9:12 pm #71041

kb

dawg, i hear you on the dry. I went a little north yesterday and there is not a lot of moisture on south facing areas left. Your other spot must be a good one, I need to get a tracker on your vehicle.

April 4, 2016 at 12:23 am #71065

SWI Shroomer

Dawg and KB: Thanks for the info. I’ll keep you abreast of extreme southwest Iowa when I get out into the woods. I’m a hill hunter if I hadn’t mentioned that. Feels strange this year as kb noted. Maybe because it is early onset but dry and such up and down temps. Time will tell. Good luck all!

April 4, 2016 at 9:33 am #71073

Shroom Dog

I found 15 grays 3/31 Missouri River bottoms in Boone County.

Found one little bitty gray 4/1 on my creek ~20 miles north of the river in Boone County.
I left that one to grow up some.

This is the earliest I’ve found morels in either spot in 40 years of shroom hunting. That said, it appears to me that, in general, things are moving along about the same as always. I normally don’t even start looking until April 7, but with the early spring I couldn’t resist.

General observations – good moisture in the soil right now. May apples just starting to peek out of the ground. Haven’t seen a snake or box turtle yet. Ferns and other low greenery just barely getting started.

April 5, 2016 at 8:04 pm #71177

jmerx

I was only able to pull 2 small greys from the wood yesterday! Hope the rain tonight is a good one.

April 5, 2016 at 11:33 pm #71191

NewB87

Let’s pray thoughs fellow hunters who were doing the rain dance these past few days secretly so nobody seen you looking like you had some type of medical emergency and need medical care immediately pays off… I was only caught twice the 5 times I attempted it, witch if I was someone else spectating what it looked like I would of been tempted to call for medical help lol. Calling for rain from 1-6AM tomorrow morning, hope it’s right.

April 6, 2016 at 10:28 am #71211

JeffSchre

Went out a little south Sat. 4/2 to a new area for me Crooked River Conservation Area (description on MO Conservation page sounded promising).

Was really hoping to find a public use area with similar “topology” as the Excelsior Springs/Crystal Lakes area that I had so much good luck on two years ago (that I unfortunately lost access to when guy that allowed me to hunt lost the house in a divorce). Stuck hunting public access land again now, which rather sucks.

Anyway, it looked like a potentially good spot (mostly sandy soil river bottom) but was too dry (only found may apples in one location and they were already starting to turn brown, mosses were starting to turn brown also), some areas had good moisture but don’t think it’s been warm enough yet.

After spending 3 hours tromping around and seeing a whole lot of nuthin’ (outside of watching an Eagle soaring around in the updrafts for 10/15 mins.) I called it a day…was thinking to myself Weston Bend might have been a better choice…but seeing KB’s post about getting skunked there on Sunday also…makes me not feel so bad about trying to new area.

Might try it again in a week or two if we get some good rain…maybe.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 127 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.