Missouri Message Board 2016

Morels.com Forums Missouri Missouri Message Board 2016

This topic contains 126 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by  JeffSchre 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
May 9, 2016 at 5:25 pm #74784

OldElm

Really……

May 9, 2016 at 11:23 pm #74814

taterqueen913

Well, here’s a wrap up of my experience this year. in reference to an earlier post– No, the lightening did not help my friends site in her yard. So that theory is busted this year. LOL In fact, nothing…BUST in all of the areas we usually find together & what we did find were not in our usual spots. I know it as just too darned dry here & we couldn’t really travel to follow the rain due to our jobs. Wish we could’ve. We walked for hours and miles & probably ended up with 3-4 lbs to split between the 2 of us. Only to then find probably a pound in my yard where I never find any. And that was not in 1 trip– that was compiling the findings of several trips. Towards the end they were getting really big & we thought with the last rain maybe we’d all get another flush. But to no avail. By then the grass was getting pretty tall . It was definately a sad season here for us. :cry: But I did still get out & be one with nature & I do always enjoy that. I enjoy hunting them more than eating them–so we definately got plenty of excercise this year & we’ve been spoiled the last few yrs– so I guess you can’t always have the pot o gold. :-)
Many we did find were stunted – we assume from frost bite earlier at the tops & were very pretty oddly shaped in comparison to what we usually find.
Still love it & look forward to it all winter–and it’s a challenge every year & I guess that’s the main thing isn’t it? They are a mystery & let’s face it –if we all had it perfectly figured out, well they wouldn’t be a treat anymore–we’d all be growing them in our gardens like cucumbers.
I hope that the folks up north of us have a much better season than we had here. good luck!

May 10, 2016 at 6:27 pm #74852

kb

taterqueen, like your attitude. The hunt is always the best part for me to. Just a screwed up morel year. If it makes a difference, the season was screwed up for us travelers to. Had to be the worst year in Kansas in my life, and i’m 56. Mo., Iowa, Neb. , S. Dak. very poor. I have friends who have been back to illinois and up to Wis, and MInn., and things don’t sound much better. The mountain burns are loaded, but that is a real long ways away. Well there is always next year.

May 10, 2016 at 10:22 pm #74878

SWI Shroomer

Tater: Your comment about the “odd shapes” really resonated with me. I found very few this year, and the ones I did find were all irregular looking, such as being more squat and round rather than long and cylindrical as they are in more normal years. I also noticed this feature in a lot of morels I saw in pictures posted at various outlets online. I was hoping someone else would make this observation. Anyone else have this experience? Thanks!

May 11, 2016 at 10:20 am #74908

JeffSchre

I’m just going to have to get access to more private land…that’s all there is to it.

I have yet to actually find any on public conservation land yet…although I’ve seen other hunters out with finds in their bags…that is “the problem” they’re in someone else’s bag already.

Have seen some awfully shroomy looking sections of timber while out on my cycling training rides, going to have to “keep a lookout” for land owners this year and see if I can catch them outside.

May 11, 2016 at 3:38 pm #74932

kb

SW, I think it was the uneven temps. Many very cold mornings and frost will keep them from maturing. Also a lack of sufficient moisture at the right time. Jeff, my entire off season, every where i go, my eyes are open to new places. I drive my family nuts on trips. they roll their eyes when” Look at that elm” comes out over and over. I spend the fall hiking new spots to keep in shape and tag trees. My version of fun. Addicted I am.

May 16, 2016 at 1:01 pm #76650

JeffSchre

Dammit…where was all this rain at 6 weeks ago, when we really needed it…now it’s just going to make me have to mow my yard more.

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.