Morels -2016

Morels.com Forums Minnesota Morels -2016

This topic contains 433 replies, has 84 voices, and was last updated by  OldElm 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 434 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
March 15, 2016 at 6:34 pm #70022

jdk32581

Old elm

I use tinypic.com to load pics from my computer and the tinypic app in the app store to load from my ipad/iphone . The app is a lot quicker

March 15, 2016 at 6:41 pm #70023

OldElm

THX’z Chelios.

It’s always a game with the weather, but over here we got to be patient cause it’s still a long ways til they pop. Soil temps will come up fast as we’re in for rain, and the leaf canopy isn’t out so the sun will do its job. Fun to be getting out in the woods though.

March 15, 2016 at 6:49 pm #70024

OldElm

” jdk32581 ” thank you for the tinypic tip. It’s always good to see pictures posted.

March 16, 2016 at 7:04 am #70039

shroomtrooper

I am sorry to hear about your father, I am sure you will be thinking a lot about him this year, hopefully with a smile.

March 16, 2016 at 9:01 pm #70064

shroomtrooper

Boris, I have yet to find fresh black trumpets, I am jealous. And Chants. Did find my 1st hedgehog last year, they are really good, firmer good flavor.

March 16, 2016 at 9:39 pm #70067

jdk32581

My chants and trumpets all come from beech trees here in Ohio

March 18, 2016 at 10:09 am #70143

Boris_the_Beard

Shroomtrooper, I am hoping to receive permission again to go on the land that I found some of the black trumpets again. It was the first weekend in Sept last year. Found the chants at a nearby mn state park mid summer. and i’m jealous of you finding morels. First year trying so I will use that handy tiny pic app mentioned earlier if i do. everything is probably a month away at least.

March 27, 2016 at 8:39 pm #70455

OldElm

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Buckthornman, the hummingbirds are starting to head up our way,although they haven’t quiet got into KY yet. Really looking forward to your first “WrenOmeter report! Shaping up to be a banner morel season for us.

March 29, 2016 at 2:09 pm #70540

Buckthornman

Wrenometer is still on defcon 0. I have a funny notion that the ground cover might be less than in years past? Might be like hunting snowshoes in a brown forest! That snow you received is gift. Hoping the train of mild air starts after this week. Oldelm you sure know how to fire people up! Bags plastic or mesh. Lmao…I use both. Buckthornman shreds plastic:-)

March 31, 2016 at 1:02 pm #70681

Kelly

At what soil temp do morels start appearing?

April 1, 2016 at 2:07 pm #70749

Caitlinw19

I’m going to be a first time hunter out this year…can someone clue me in as to the “wrenometer”? I get that it has something to do with the behavior of wrens. Is it just that morels tend to pop up when you start seeing wrens that have migrated back up north, or is it some other trend in their behavior that seems to be a good indicator?

April 1, 2016 at 4:58 pm #70765

OldElm

“Caitlinw19 ” The WrenOmeter, is a highly specialized measuring indicator/ predictor, of just where the morels season progression is at.

Just kidding, actually you hit it all pretty close, it’s one of a few pieces we put together to know when the flush is really on and to be out harvesting. Hope you have a GRAND time, and enjoy your first successful season, good luck.

Kelly, the soil temps can vary so much in the woods that I don’t go by them at all, but rather by what the woods themselves are telling me. I believe the book people will tell you the temp should be around 53 -56. Who knows/cares, better to look for things like, lilacs, fiddle heads, ramps, wrens, pheasant back, ….ect. Like “Buckthornman” says nothing to do with the calendar. This is a progression, and it’s awesome to participate in it. Good luck & Enjoy.

P.S. All, The “TICKS” are really out in force!!

April 4, 2016 at 2:27 pm #71093

Caitlinw19

Thanks OldElm! Had a feeling that was what the super high tech wrenometer is all about.

Looking forward to giving this a try! Wishing you a fruitful season as well!

April 8, 2016 at 6:12 pm #71426

mushroom_mentor

Hi everyone! If you’re just getting started and need help finding your first morels, check out this super informative video on getting started. This is my passion and hope to help others discover their passion for mushrooms as well!!! Good luck! Here is the link to my video: http://youtu.be/ismIK7GhmP8

April 8, 2016 at 10:02 pm #71442

OldElm

” mushroom_mentor ” Oh my goodness that was some video! However that was a big O’le cotton wood you were showing the bark on, and the two dried out leaves were def not Elm, but rather cotton wood. Oh well, we sometimes find morels around cottonwoods, if there are dead elms close by. Do you need help identifying tree’s?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 434 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.