Morels -2016

Morels.com Forums Minnesota Morels -2016

This topic contains 433 replies, has 84 voices, and was last updated by  OldElm 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 434 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
May 22, 2016 at 9:30 pm #87566

OldElm

StumpJumper ,if yer still after them key in on dying/dead Elm trees. head outta R.F. in an Ellsworth direction, then swing on over Prescott way. Trembel river, Rush river, Kinni river ect.

May 22, 2016 at 9:48 pm #87567

kb

stumpjump, I just got back to nw. Mo from up in Minn. I spent 8 hours sat. and another 6 today hunting between HW 14 and the twin cities pretty much. I ended up with a little over #8. There were some on north slope elm still good. But it was a grind. I will not be walking well for several days. Nothing i would call fresh. a big shout out to Mo.shroom mate if you are reading bud, on your tip on cottonwoods. I got the best of both worlds,i found a little grove some utility company cut on a right of way, right next to a road in some kind of thorny nightmare. I got half of what i ended up with there. don’t seem to have a lot of cottonwood bottoms in Minn. or i would have switched to them and left the pheasant back loaded elms entirely.

May 22, 2016 at 10:25 pm #87571

StumpJumper

The mushrooms is the only reason I’m up here… I will be here until I can find no more then will move on to other types of mushrooms :-D thank you for the tip old elm I’ll keep that in mind! I’m really hoping to hit the mother load weather their old or fresh

May 22, 2016 at 10:26 pm #87572

StumpJumper

It’s nice just exploring the u.s.

May 22, 2016 at 10:36 pm #87573

StumpJumper

kB you say you just got back to nw mo well I’m from a little tiny historic town called Weston… you ever heard of it? And that’s a lot of walking you did, I plan on doing as much as I possibly can

May 23, 2016 at 9:40 am #87581

kb

not many morels by weston this year, at least where i was looking. We should have car pooled.

May 23, 2016 at 9:47 am #87582

MissouriShroomMate

kb, I’m glad you were able to get into some. I was chomping at the bit thinking I should have gone back up there. But I was lured on the road 11 weeks in a row and it was time to call it quits for me.

Good luck ShroomMates!
Mitch

May 23, 2016 at 3:41 pm #87587

Kelly

I have 2 spots from last year that I have been checking weekly. Nothing, no stumps/no one beat me to them. Do morels skip some years if they don’t get that right temp and moisture combination? Has anyone else seen this?

Q #2: 53 degrees is known as the prime soil temperature. If it gets too warm will that prevent them from blooming? Do we know what that temp is?

May 23, 2016 at 6:20 pm #87591

shedberg123

Kelly:
They don’t always repeat year after year. If you hit the mother lode on a tree one year, its probable you’ll get a few to a dozen the next; but not always. Always good if possible to let a few spore out for the area to repeat on other trees. Same areas, different trees generally is my rule; although I check a lot of them over and over. I’m finding a lot of pheasant backs on the older trees and generally don’t find the two together. But that’s maybe just me. also, I’m always scouting potential dying trees that may produce the following year; a hand held GPS works dandy for getting back to those areas.
I went out today having missed the past two weeks with a fractured foot and found 2 pounds; made the pain worthwhile I guess. Found them just in time as they were starting to dry out; big 12 inch yellows and blacks; all but 3 on one tree.

May 23, 2016 at 8:05 pm #87596

masterhunter3000

700 in Michigan in north. Whites just starting, reply dry. Keep shrooming,

May 23, 2016 at 8:37 pm #87600

kb

Mitch, thanks again. You are a road warrior. Next year you will kill them down south on those tipped cottons you found. Where did you say they where again? Ha! You have earned time to sit and eat morels my man. Maybe you can show me how to find some of those fungi you hunt in the summer. Keeps me in shape for next morel season and allows me to tag elm. Always leads back to morels for me. Shed had some good advice there, I sure have not seen pheasants and morels together, and i bet i have seen 300 elm with no morels and pheasants. Always carry a GPS. I had 500 tagged elms for certain timbers to work with this spring. I will clear it now and start over. Some were over 2 years old so i don’t have a choice. Kelly i had great spots that were for sure skipped this year, just had real crappy timing on the moisture and temps. so i had to get in the old grey camry and keep on truckin to somewhere else. Keep an eye on accumulated moisture on the NOAA web site. Usually more is better, but not always. Some places require less moisture than others it seems in my experience, and the timing means everything.

May 23, 2016 at 8:43 pm #87602

kb

master, what do you guys pick on in your area? Pine? What are your tells up there? I have picked on cedar down in my area and all you do is wonder around. Dead or alive does not matter. If they are there they are there. Mind sharing a little information? I have never been in N.Mich. just the south.

May 23, 2016 at 9:21 pm #87603

Elmgirl

can anyone help me out… just wondering if the season is completly over, we will be heading up to wisconsin from indiana this weekend we will be there early friday morning and want to hunt morels anychance we might find any perhaps in the northern part of the state?

May 24, 2016 at 9:16 am #87607

Tundra King

Elmgirl, I spoke to friends up north around Cook, MN and they said that it was just getting started about a week or so ago. Plus with the rain showers, it should be a good time to go.
Maybe someone else on here that is also from northern MN could chime in. Someone had posted earlier that they were up there a week ago, and they thought it was over. On the contrary, its just gettin going.

May 24, 2016 at 9:54 am #87608

shaneshroom

Elm Girl, I was titting great ones this weekend just north of the twin cities on the dry hilly slopes – northern MN is definatley gotta be going strong.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 434 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.