Northern IL

Morels.com Forums Illinois Northern IL

This topic contains 393 replies, has 132 voices, and was last updated by  Carpet Crawler 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 394 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
April 17, 2013 at 10:12 pm #38347

Shroomstalker

I’m in DuPage and I’m going to agree with u Sean. My ramps aren’t even starting yet.

April 18, 2013 at 9:47 am #38432

lizweb

Well hopefully with all this rain they we will have a better season than last year!

April 18, 2013 at 9:56 am #38435

lizweb

I’m in DuPage county. Not thinking anything for a couple of weeks. Lilacs are just budding and no dandylions yet.
I so can’t wait.

April 18, 2013 at 9:09 pm #38667

Got no morels

Thanks a lot guys dwak and Sean appreciate the info dwak I’d love to tag along I used to pick mushrooms with my dad who has passed.when I was a kid .I’d love to start that tradition again with my son who is two but I figured if I can just learn how to find some of these it would bring that good ol feeling of being with pops let me know if you wouldn’t mind? A lot of reading that I’ve been doing on morels say to go with experience folks so I’m very serious and I would love to go

April 19, 2013 at 9:48 am #38743

Sponge

Tired of all the rain and cold.It’s gotta start warming up soon.I’m guessing to pick shrooms on mothers day this year.Are any of my old buddys on this new board ? Amfit,Stump,Coyote,Bocephus – what do you guys think about the season this year ?

April 19, 2013 at 10:25 am #38749

Got no morels

If April showers bring mayflowers and morel mushrooms then what in the hek does this snow bring unreal!

April 19, 2013 at 11:26 am #38768

Shroomstalker

Oh that’s an easy one….. Frustration!!!!!! :twisted:

April 19, 2013 at 9:17 pm #38879

Got no morels

I’m gonna walk some trails tomorrow what should I be looking for to give me signs of good possible spots. Is that even possible it’s my first time ever hunting for morels I’m very antsy so I just want to go talk to Mother Nature and beg her for beginners luck

April 20, 2013 at 9:08 am #38936

Got no morels

Suposed to be sixtyz and low fiftyz dies this mean mushrooms or do I still have to wait?

April 20, 2013 at 9:39 am #38947

Papa Smurf

This year will be different for Northern Illinois. Every year is different. There is NEVER an exact time they will come out. But those looking in Northern Illinois towards late May should be right in the middle of the season. Should be able to find both Grey’s and starting of Yellow’s, Blonds.

Morels progress at a rate ( on average of ) 100 miles per week and progress North. So realistically, if southern Illinois has found some, figure where you are and time accordingly. Remember that it will NOT start with Blonds/ Yellows but with Greys and Blacks.

April 20, 2013 at 10:46 am #38963

Got no morels

Makes sense thanks

April 20, 2013 at 1:29 pm #38987

Dwak

Around me its mostly mid sized trees, dead, but still standing, with the bark pealing off, showing a light grey wood under neath. Usually if the bark has come all the way off to the point that the tree doesn’t even have it lying at the base of it it’s too old. No hard and fast rules for where they grow though. But tree’s like that I will always check out.

April 20, 2013 at 2:04 pm #38993

Got no morels

Appreciate it dwak

April 20, 2013 at 3:16 pm #39003

morelmoocher

Yes, last year was the earliest ever on our calendars too! We have plenty of moisture this year :lol: Hopefully your woods aren’t washed out. We’re going out today for a little recon mission today, our ramps are up in the sunny spots only so far about 4 in. Reserved this weekend for a hunt for greys, but ground temps aren’t quite toasty enough yet. Maybe we’ll find some sheds. Husband’s been tracking some giant turkeys lately and coyotes are getting pretty bold in our woods, never had to keep an eye out for them in these parts before. Enjoy the hunt, stay tuned.

April 20, 2013 at 3:18 pm #39004

peckerhead

yeah get in woods weeks before mothers day goodness miss all the grays and then comes the big yellows good luck all!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 394 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.