Northern IL

Morels.com Forums Illinois Northern IL

This topic contains 393 replies, has 132 voices, and was last updated by  Carpet Crawler 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 394 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
May 7, 2015 at 5:40 pm #67207

morehel

@ Morel Rat, The theory is when the dandelions go to seed. Not to Flower. The other part, and I think someone already mentioned it here, when the dandelions hit the middle of the lawns its warm enough for morels to start popping, then when they become the white puffy seeds pods, the season is ending.

With that said, I’ll have to visit my my brother in Wisconsin in a week or two.

May 7, 2015 at 7:50 pm #67222

Labman

Lilacs seem to be a reliable for me. I have had dandelions in my backyard for two weeks. Lilacs bloomed yesterday and I found 41 yellows today about 3 to 4 inches tall. Before that, one small grey on the 3rd and 4 yellows on the 6th.

May 8, 2015 at 8:24 am #67271

gans jager

3 lbs of greys on the 5th
1/2 lb of greys and one yellow on the 6th

Extreme southern Kane.

May 8, 2015 at 11:43 am #67292

Moe Rell

I have always found the lilacs blooming to be a very solid indicator of when they’re popping. My spots are primarily the Drift less Area of WI – Trempealeau, Buffalo, and Iowa Counties. Last year I went out 5/21 at my Buffalo County spot and found about 4 lbs of greys – the lilacs were just BARELY blooming. A week later I picked 20 lbs of blondes and yellows at the same property on all direction slopes- the lilacs were in full bloom and some past full bloom.
Here in WI a few of the lilacs are just starting to bloom.

May 8, 2015 at 11:45 am #67293

Papa Smurf

Found 3-4 pounds of Yellows in Northern Carroll County Illinois yesterday .

Found another 3-4 pounds of LARGE Yellows in Whiteside county this morning. All are very fresh .

A few of these Yellows were MONSTER SIZED , about the size of a persons hand wide , and as tall as 6-7″ . They are popping up everywhere .

Be sure to get out NOW and look , and don’t forget about some for Mom on Mothers Day !!

May 8, 2015 at 11:50 am #67294

doncarlsoni

I just found my first morels ever. Yesterday afternoon I came across about 25 in the woods in my backyard in Winnebago County. They were all around a dead elm where the bark was just starting to slough off but had not yet fallen.

I spent about an hour going through some woods on a friend’s property this morning and only found 1. He has plenty of dead elms, but the undergrowth was already pretty thick, so it was tough to spot anything. He’s got quite a bit of garlic mustard. I’ve heard that is an invasive species that inhibits some fungi growth. Does anyone know whether that effects morels?

Thanks everyone for the great posts- I’ve learned alot by reading through this forum. I’m heading out right now for a long lunch break to see if I can put any of that knowledge to good use.

May 8, 2015 at 3:30 pm #67310

Papa Smurf

May 9, 2015 at 2:28 pm #67413

xvrickh

This is my first year hunting and on my 6th try in 4 different areas I finally found some! This little batch was found in McHenry county. With talk in the forums about the season potentially being over I thought I missed it. Went out this morning after the light rain we had last night and finally found a spot. I didn’t follow any of the typical rules: they weren’t around an elm and the tree was still alive. Hope to find more soon! Good luck out there, mushroomers!

May 9, 2015 at 10:13 pm #67444

Labman

Places get picked clean fast which could lead to people thinking its over if there late getting to the local hot spots.
Or, you have people telling you its over when its just starting to keep you out of the woods. Food for thought.
Yellows are getting real big right now, you have another week to find them, stick with it ;-)
Found five monsters today of the beaten path today compared to the quantity found earlier in the week.

May 10, 2015 at 5:18 pm #67493

I prefer Hen of the Woods

I spent 8 hours in Allegan State Game Area in Michigan this Saturday searching. Almost no other hunters even though the woods looked beautiful. Apparently the locals know something I don’t. Only found four small grays(four inches or so) and a half dozen “half-free” morels which I didn’t take because I had forgotten my National Audobon Society Field Guide and wasn’t confdent enough to say for sure that they weren’t one of the poisonous falsies. Kicking myself now that I am back home in Mchenry County. Woods weren’t really shroomy at all, just some young shelf type mushrooms like Pheasants Tail and some slimers and some weird little marble sized pods that peel open like a flower bud and blow spores. Wild stuff. And several Hen of the Woods cores that had been nibbled down by deer. Bastards. Assuming we are having a late season? Going out locally in a few minutes to maybe find some morels or Hens or maybe a chicken mushroom hopefully. Regardless, gorgeous woods right now, the greenery is spellbinding.

May 10, 2015 at 6:03 pm #67503

morehel

Found three, two black and a yellow, and a pecker-head. Beautiful Fresh Chicken of the woods, But didn’t harvest it.

May 11, 2015 at 1:09 pm #67568

tapples

hoping this rain stays for this week so i can pound some big ones this weekend :-P

May 11, 2015 at 1:11 pm #67569

tapples

i got two that were a beer can and a half tall
8-O

May 11, 2015 at 4:56 pm #67594

Astral-Morel

My apologies about saying dandelions are the best indicators. There are other variables that come into play, for morels. Especially if you live in different regions with other factors involved(Ground temps, ph(Acidity), moisture, etc). I found 8 blacks & 1 yellow from last time. Went with my folks to hunt some in a nearby forest(Legal to flora hunt). We found around 130 blacks, greys & yellows(Including hybrid variations(Grey/Yellow)), combined. :-)

Quite shocking, but yeah, there weren’t many dandelions around as indicators, rather, moisture was the key factor. Some were quite large(almost hand sized). The snails were almost getting to them, but we snatched them up(Cut the stem, left some of the base, for mycelium growth). I’m sure the hollow interiors make good homes for the insects. ;-)

Got a nice tick on my leg, but luckily I took some good old nail clippers & un-attached the mouth from the flesh(Never burn or tear the body, it’ll spew all it’s guts into your blood system if you do(Lyme disease)). Overall though, it was a lot of fun. Never under-estimate briar-thorn patches(Morels galore & other goodies). Definitely will go hunting for them again this weekend. 8-)

Good luck to my fellow mushroom hunters! B-)

May 13, 2015 at 9:39 pm #67844

tapples

I think I caught the last ones of the year for me. 3/4 of a pound but all big ones which let’s me know its almost over. And has anybody else caught them in weird spots? I found a solid 3 pounds in between rocks. I’m so confused

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 394 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.