Oklahoma Message Board 2014

Morels.com Forums Oklahoma Oklahoma Message Board 2014

This topic contains 887 replies, has 100 voices, and was last updated by  morelmaster22 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 888 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
February 19, 2014 at 11:50 am #47648

thefarmerman

Hey again everyone ..what’s a brother from another land have to do to get a reply …from Washington state..AWesone season here…picked morels from may to august. …no yellows here…I want to come visit and pick mass amounts of your okie morels…I’d give up 20% of my harvest if someone wants to take me to some great spots… I’m no greenhorn in the bush and know my trees pretty well …and can pick a lot of shrooms…..what’s up.?

February 19, 2014 at 12:59 pm #47649

lurkinlizard

farmerman, Oklahoma may not be the best state for you to commercially harvest mushrooms. Oklahoma is Native America, and even those who aren’t Indian tend to adopt the “no one but the Creator owns the bounties of Mother Nature, so let’s leave some for everyone” philosophy. Also, OK doesn’t have much public land. Most of it is either Indian land, or private land. I don’t think the Indians will help you do commercial level harvesting. You’d probably have to get permission from a farmer or rancher, and trying to get someone like that to give you permission to harvest on their land…well…No offense but a place like Washington or Oregon where there is a lot of commercial picking may be a better location for you.

February 19, 2014 at 12:59 pm #47650

morchellica

hey farmerman. you say you will be in oklahoma in april? if it is indeed a later year for them than you may be right on but i think there’s a good chance getting here then could limit your hunting to just northern oklahoma. i’ve got a few hunting buddies for picking central and southern oklahoma but not up north by the kansas line

February 19, 2014 at 1:28 pm #47652

Okie Shroom Hunter

Sorry thefarmerman but all the places I hunt are private land (but 1) and I cant usually bring others on the. Hope you do find someone that can take ya though and good luck this season.

February 19, 2014 at 5:11 pm #47653

sapworm7979

Get a public hunting map. Lot of public land in central OK. Lot of folks don’t think of looking in the obvious places like golf course edges and city parks. I don’t mind picking them in a manacured lawn setting.

February 19, 2014 at 5:56 pm #47654

lurkinlizard

I’m afraid it’s illegal to forage in WMA–wildlife management areas/public hunting areas, in OK.

http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/department-managed-area-rules/

“It shall be unlawful to cut, dig, damage or remove any crops, trees, shrubs, timber (including dead standing trees), water, gravel, sand, earth, rocks, minerals, shed antlers or other natural resources other than legally harvested fish and wildlife from Department-managed lands without prior written approval from the Department.”

February 19, 2014 at 6:38 pm #47655

Okie Shroom Hunter

Wonder how hard it would be to get written approval from the Department ?

February 19, 2014 at 7:52 pm #47656

thefarmerman

Not really a commercial picker…on a big level…just looking to get in a killer picking in OK….permission from anyone is possible ..I’m an optimistic…looking to get some weight for sure in yellows…but whatever…I’m a friendly hip fellow…peace owt y’all…hope ta see ya in da woods…!hit me up if anyone is wanting to hook up

February 19, 2014 at 8:24 pm #47657

Nixtr

Just carry around a bag of trash you are picking up. Green jeans wont bother you on public and WMA land if they see you doing a good deed. Stash morels in paper bag within the trash bag. Sometimes rules need to be bent a little. Or get night vision googles, if they dont see you….out of sight out of mind!!

Even places where its OK to hunt, I would rather not be seen….especially carrying around a spore boy full of sponge.

Good luck!

February 19, 2014 at 10:29 pm #47659

francisshroomer

I would like someone to take me mushroom hunting for other mushrooms. I have never tried Chicken Mushrooms or Oyster Mushrooms. I mean I have come across alot of shrooms that look similar to these but don’t want to try them without someone giving some guidance. Oh man, I am craving some yellow morels.

February 19, 2014 at 10:39 pm #47660

Morel Belle

How many days does the soil temperature need to be in the fifties before you will see mushrooms.

February 20, 2014 at 12:56 am #47663

thefarmerman

@ morel belle Usually after about 4-5 days of consistent soil temps above 50 will start bringing them on….then after that it depends on the weather..if its cooler they will grow slow of course…and if the weather continually gets hot as you probably know , will end the season quickly..!!

February 20, 2014 at 1:03 am #47664

thefarmerman

Morchellica..I have no specific date yet ..but I’m coming when the hunting is good …ima free bird so I’m getting my plane ticket when I know they are popping…hence my inquiry as to connecting w another avid hunter…I never rape the land but am respectful of the mother..as I am a steward of the land …only looking to hunt aggressively and find the bounty ..!

February 20, 2014 at 11:12 am #47667

sapworm7979

I seen a sign on a wma that said just what you posted and had an exclusion for fungi. So pick on.

February 20, 2014 at 5:10 pm #47673

sapworm7979

Anybody else have trouble getting on morelhunters.com site?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 888 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.