Oklahoma Message Board 2014

Morels.com Forums Oklahoma Oklahoma Message Board 2014

This topic contains 887 replies, has 100 voices, and was last updated by  morelmaster22 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 888 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
April 24, 2014 at 8:54 pm #52741

Iwonagain

You’re welcome garden ! poison ivy are starting to invade most morel spots…went out today and grabbed ~30 more morels..all along the road.

April 24, 2014 at 10:35 pm #52763

morchellica

Iwonagain, cottonwoods+cedars was where I found the majority of my finds this season. And oilfield trash, Osage co. was a complete bust for me as well. It’s usually where my best picking is

April 25, 2014 at 11:46 am #52859

OKshroomer

Congrats on all the finds!!!
Still nothing in the Caddo County area. I have been out more times than I care to say.
Spoke to only one person that found 4 so the weather must have kept them from growing around here. Strange season.
After the rain I have a tiny bit of hope to keep looking but the optimism is running low. LOL

April 25, 2014 at 1:06 pm #52873

Iwonagain

Morchellica: It is ironic but wherever a road dips and has on its side cottonwoods+cedars, you can be almost 90% certain to find at least one morel there. Yesterday was no exception; I checked google maps for country roads south of the Norman area with those features, drove there and found a bunch. Only ~30 were edible, however.
So far I’ve gathered ~ 1500-1550 morels, about 600 short from last year. I gave away already more than half.
I do not think these new rains will trigger a new flush because the soil is starting to get covered by vegetation and most importantly the 2-4 inch soil temps are near 70F, which is too warm. It is yet still possible, however, that thick E and NE facing cedar patches might produce a few more. Thou shall see.

April 26, 2014 at 8:46 pm #53145

Okie Shroom Hunter

Only had enough time for about a 30 min hunter today.Checked one spot I checked a week ago and found 31 (2lbs), had to leave some that were too far gone most of them are alittle old and did find 3 that is say we’re about 3 days old gonna give it a longer try again tomorrow

They may not be the best looking morels but thell eat :D

April 26, 2014 at 8:50 pm #53147

morchellica

Iwonagain, I’m really surprised you found 30 that were edible! I’ve found a few morels under just cottonwoods but they don’t seem to be great producers by themselves. I think the cottonwoods give a spot in the cedars for more light and warmth to come in and make it more favorable for morels which are still mainly associated with the cedars. If my cedar spots near the Arkansas river get a soaking rain I will go have a look since none have come up in those spots yet and maybe the cool down this next week will help.

April 26, 2014 at 9:00 pm #53149

morchellica

And another good combo I have found are plum thickets within cedar groves

April 27, 2014 at 12:48 am #53185

Ricomorelo

Does anyone know how fast a blown down tree will produce morels? Say for example we have all the right conditions. Soil temp, moisture etc….

April 27, 2014 at 12:50 pm #53248

Iwonagain

Morchellica: Yep: I agree that plum thickets with cedars (and elms) usually are winners. I did not know what those small shrub trees were but always noticed that their presence always seemed to indicate a rich moist soil with the morels usually growing under these. Briar patches sometimes are mixed in too making it a crawling expedition to reach for the mushrooms.
Ricomorelo: Depends on when during the year the tree fell. If the latter fell in June or Summer, it is very likely that morels will sprout in force the next season (assuming the latter tree was inoculated). If the tree fell/died during late Winter / early Spring then I would presume that morel production would only start the following year. Now if the (inoculated) tree is slowly dying this process might take years.
My 2 cents-

April 27, 2014 at 1:09 pm #53253

Ricomorelo

Iwonagain thank you for the info. I appreciate your time. Its been a weird season. Gound a couple fresh ones yesterday. So im still hoping the rain we got will flush at least one of my honey holes. Good luck to everyone be safe

April 27, 2014 at 4:37 pm #53296

morchellica

My spots in Osage co. didn’t produce due to lack of rain but has got close to an inch over the last week. I’m going to try my luck and see if I can find anything over the next couple days. It’s pretty obvious on here that oklahoma is pretty much done

April 27, 2014 at 4:39 pm #53297

morchellica

Ricomorelo, what area are you hunting?

April 27, 2014 at 6:33 pm #53319

Ricomorelo

I have been all over central OK with no luck. The past week mainly hunting Segwick and Butler county in kansas.

April 27, 2014 at 8:56 pm #53361

newbie shroomer

after finding just a pound, I give up. Anybody selling their findings. Fresh or dehydrated, doesn’t matter.

April 28, 2014 at 8:38 am #53441

oilfieldtrash

Morchellica did you you have any luck in Osage ? How bout you bstarr5 ? I found a few on Bird creek but none in my other spots. I’ve heard of small finds around here but no where near normal. Hope you guys did’nt miss out on the crappie like I did! But on the bright side, all the walking did’nt do me any harm.

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 888 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.