Oklahoma Message Board 2015

Morels.com Forums Oklahoma Oklahoma Message Board 2015

Tagged: 

This topic contains 674 replies, has 97 voices, and was last updated by  Duke 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 675 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
February 12, 2015 at 1:28 pm #60444

Iwonagain

Yep, soil temps have been unusually warm lately:

http://www.mesonet.org/index.php/weather/soil_temperature/okcn/7d

However, an arctic airmass is forecast to sag all the way down to the Gulf coast early next week, bringing icy precip, perhaps some snow and, most importantly, lows in the lower teens – Good news, though, is that models are hinting for 2 subsequent rounds of precip. The more precip we get, the better; to maintain that soil moist under those leaves!

February 16, 2015 at 10:08 am #60458

Okie Shroom Hunter

Well the warm spring, morel picking feeling is gone this morning. Atleast its some moisture though ill take all we can get.

February 16, 2015 at 5:11 pm #60461

Santa Shroom

Agree, MOISTURE is what we need

February 24, 2015 at 3:19 pm #60480

Iwonagain

Models and NOAA climatic outlooks:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

support colder-than-average temps and a wetter-than-average scenario for the next 14 days. Given this, I wouldn’t be surprised if, once again, the morel ‘shroom’ season in central OK would start kicking on the 2nd third of March-Have been browsing through my morel photos & videos the last 2 weeks (total of ~4000 morel finds in 2 seasons –> $0 made and many happy bellies :) ) and cannot wait to hit the woods ! One of my easy, productive spots (close to work) has been bulldozed to build a gas station…Boo.
Good luck to y’all and wishing you a fruitful foraging season !

February 25, 2015 at 12:13 pm #60484

lifelong_morelman

Checking in and subscribing to the thread! Can’t wait for this cold weather to head back north so we can warm up and the shrooms will start poppin!

February 27, 2015 at 5:16 pm #60494

Okie Shroom Hunter

Glad we’re getting some moisture, gotta around 4 1/2 inches so far and still lightly coming down. Don’t look like the morels will be coming early this year, but till then this snow makes for some easy rabbit hunting ;)

February 28, 2015 at 5:33 pm #60498

Okie Shroom Hunter

Decided to take a look through some past morel seasons today and man the past 3 years haven’t been to good with last year being the most at a surprisingly low 869. I’m very grateful for what iv found knowing some people didnt find any was still shocked though. and on that note I Hope everyone has a record breaking poundage this year!

March 3, 2015 at 1:01 pm #60516

Iwonagain

Very quiet message board this year …The forecasts are hinting at a decent warm up for the next 14 days with highs in the mid to upper 60′s and lows in the mid 40′s (with a possible rain event next Wed/Thu):

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/model/displayMod.php?var=gfs_sfc_temp&loop=loopall&hours=

So looks like the Morel season might be ~2.5-3 weeks away (providing no surprise late season cold snap from the Arctic) ! – Can’t wait -

March 3, 2015 at 1:45 pm #60517

lurkinlizard

Thanks Iwon! I always find your posts knowledgeable and definitely informative. Hoping for a good season! Going to dedicate some time to the hunt this year, for sure. Thanks again for all you showed me last year! I am paying it forward.

March 3, 2015 at 1:55 pm #60518

Iwonagain

Hey Lurkin’ – most welcome and wishing you a successful shroomin’ season (and no tick bites !). For short term, 15-h forecasts, the best available free product over the US is this one:

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRRsubh/Welcome.cgi

Basically useful to check whether rain will occur (or not) and/or where storm initiation (SI) will take place when frontal systems arrive the same or following day (in the last years SI was overall biased east of us!). Cheers-

March 3, 2015 at 9:33 pm #60522

Okie Shroom Hunter

Gotta agree with you Iwon, very quite this year, And thanks for the heads up on the warmer weather, I cant wait :D

March 5, 2015 at 1:08 pm #60539

morchellica

i started getting on here waaay too early last year and it just makes the wait to go hunting that much harder. just stepped outside and spring is in the air! anyone think that places that were a complete bust last year might be prone to produce higher yields this season, given sufficient moisture?

March 6, 2015 at 11:25 am #60551

Nate

Hey morchellica! Glad to see you. I think that we will have a better season all around this year. Last year wasn’t bad for me, but this feels like the kind of winter were the ground has just stayed moist/muddy/damp all through the fall/winter. I think it will be really good for those spots that don’t hold water and require more moisture for sure, and the low spots may still be fine too if we don’t get hammered by too much more moisture. I feel the same way as you. I always start glancing in, but try not to start posting too much til closer to time. Talking about it gets me even more excited. This time of year usually has me foaming at the mouth, but it seems like we are still in the dead of winter. I think it will be three weeks at the earliest if conditions warm up perfectly. Could be longer. The latest I have found my first Morel though in Oklahoma was the last day of March, and I think the couple of years that has happened I was too busy to be out much so I wasn’t covering much ground. I’m sure they were out even those years in parts of the state a bit earlier.

March 6, 2015 at 11:48 am #60553

Okie Shroom Hunter

I think its gonna be around 3 more weeks too. Past few years iv noticed when Georgia finds their first its around 2 more weeks for here and I haven’t heard of them finding anything yet. Just hope we don’t have anymore artic air come on down.

March 6, 2015 at 12:07 pm #60554

Nate

Plus the next 3 days..Fri. March 13, Sat. March 14 and Sun. March 15
Hi 66 Lo 44 Hi 69 Lo 40 Hi 58 Lo 36
30%/Rain 40%/Rian 30%/Rain

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 675 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.