Oklahoma Message Board 2015

Morels.com Forums Oklahoma Oklahoma Message Board 2015

Tagged: 

This topic contains 674 replies, has 97 voices, and was last updated by  Duke 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 675 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
March 6, 2015 at 12:24 pm #60555

Iwonagain

For longer term (and more accurate) forecasts, I’d suggest looking at:

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/model/index.php?model=gfs

or:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model%20Guidance&model=gfs&area=namer&cycle=20150306%2012%20UTC&param=precip_p06&fourpan=no&imageSize=M&ps=area

Longer term outlooks at:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

-Based on these data and as mentioned in my 1st message on March 3rd, 2.5-3 weeks seems a reasonable bet. The outlook for moisture, however, is currently slim on the long term (10-14 days). We would need a good Spring-like storm system bringing some Gulf moisture (and rain it out) over the state during the week of Springbreak . If this occurs, the week of the 23rd will likely be game on (again, provided no surprise cold arctic air intrusion behind the system – which could only delay the season). Last year in fact we succumbed to one of these surprise cold air blast with lows well in the teens. The end results were: frost bitten first batch of morels and death of almost all the pecan blooms yielding a meager pecan harvest in central OK.

March 6, 2015 at 12:26 pm #60556

Nate

I agree I always use noaa myself, but I thought that was a nice cheery picture that the board viewers wouldn’t have to link to.

March 6, 2015 at 1:13 pm #60557

Denny the Mycophile

Greetings fellow shroomers….looking forward to a great season!!

Iwonagain;…I picked the first Shiitake off of the oak logs I inoculated last spring…and the ones I inoculated with pearl oysters look like they’ll be ready to fruit in a couple more months….I’m going to soak all of my Shiitake logs for 24 hours, hit em a couple times with a sledge hammer, and stack em in the house this next week!!

March 6, 2015 at 1:56 pm #60558

Iwonagain

Hey Denny – Neat ! The last 2 years I have been disposing of morel slurries (stew of water + old/past morel specimens found in the woods) at the base of our old American Elm in the backyard. Some say that it may take at least 5 years to get any results from it. Have you tried this method yourself (with other fungus species) ? Cheers-

March 7, 2015 at 9:37 am #60564

Denny the Mycophile

G’morning Iwonagain….Your “slurry” inoculation method is not a technique that I am familiar with…..All of the fungi I’ve worked with over 45 years require near “lab” conditions to be semi successful……not having access to a lab, with all of my experiments, I expect a 30-40% failure rate due to contamination issues…..but, there is so little info about successful morel cultivation so who knows……I’ve been piling up ashes from my brush fires this winter with hopes of sourcing some morchella spawn this fall so I can start a morel patch!

March 7, 2015 at 10:53 am #60565

morchellica

Hey nate! it’s nice to be back but this message board makes me anxious! and yeah, i think the saving grace of this season will be the good moisture we got in the fall that stuck with us; definitely wasn’t the case last winter. all my best spots are higher up and sandy so that’s why last year was such a bust for me. most of my southern and central oklahoma spots did all right last year but i only picked enough for a few meals up north. come on rain!

March 7, 2015 at 3:38 pm #60568

Okie Shroom Hunter

Drove around today and noticed some of the daffodils are blooming. Know its still way to early and Probably Need to stay away from the board myself, being on here and this warm weather has got me raring to go though.

March 8, 2015 at 10:48 am #60570

Santa Shroom

It is getting closer

March 8, 2015 at 1:15 pm #60571

Shroombandit63

I agree with those of you who are predicting a bumper crop this spring. Monday I’m going to go look at some of my best spots to see just how wet those places are. I’m also going to go scout some new spots. Good Luck to everyone and please be careful while you travel!

March 9, 2015 at 11:04 am #60594

Iwonagain

Hi Denny: OK – that confirms my estimate of about 50-60/% chance of success. it certainly does not hurt making a slurry with a handful of old/past morels found in the woods and dump it at the base of our elm (Cheap and easy) – Some folks add in sugar to help the spores spread/thrive in the media and salt to prevent bacterial contamination – but I do not feel comfortable watering our tree with a salty mix (as it will dehydrate the soil) – if the mycelium colonizes the root system of this tree it will also be beneficial – thus a win win ! Last year I found several pounds of morels that did not make the trip back home (became slushy and opened at the top) —> several gallons of slurry ! …..woke up to a nice surprise: MOISTURE ! :)

March 9, 2015 at 1:49 pm #60595

francisshroomer

I’m pumped. Here’s to hoping for the best year ever.

March 9, 2015 at 8:03 pm #60603

sapworm7979

What are the selling for this year?

March 10, 2015 at 5:42 pm #60628

Nate

I saw on another site where Georgia found some today. Six of them. LOL I guess that means we should be getting some early ones here in about two weeks.

March 10, 2015 at 6:15 pm #60631

Iwonagain

Long-term forecast hints at a wetter and cooler-than-avg scenario for the next 14 days – With this long lasting moisture already in the vegetated/leafy soil (since November) I remain confident that this year will surpass the last 2 ones by large – bring it on Mother Nature ! :)

March 10, 2015 at 8:55 pm #60634

sapworm7979

If we don’t get the dreaded cold spell or the 80 degree days ad 25 mph winds.Two years ago I could fill a 48 qt myself in less than two hrs right off the road. So that is saying a lot.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 675 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.