Oklahoma Message Board 2015

Morels.com Forums Oklahoma Oklahoma Message Board 2015

Tagged: 

This topic contains 674 replies, has 97 voices, and was last updated by  Duke 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 675 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
April 16, 2015 at 8:42 am #64038

2232br

life long _morel man….just wondering how your doing over to the west? I found 39 keepers yesterday, all but 2 were mature yellows, other 2 were nice greys….probly found another 7 or 8 that were to old and past

April 16, 2015 at 11:35 am #64055

morchellica

i went up near the kansas line yesterday and picked around six lbs, all of which came from full sun and around two fallen trees. i’m happy with my finds but it seems like i could have picked a hundred pounds b/c the area i hunted was a good mile of tornado damage from what looked to be from last year. elms, ashes, sycamores, birch, and oaks completely demolished right down the creek i was hunting. i’m wondering if all my finds were just earlies for that spot b/c i didn’t find a thing if there was even a hint of a tree canopy.

April 16, 2015 at 12:20 pm #64063

Iwonagain

Morchellica: Based on my finds yesterday and VC’s the day before- which were in the same area (E of I-35 and S of I-40), there still are plenty of spots in town producing fresh morels (with some occasional giants): Just look in thick cedar patches that are located on sloppy terrain. There you’ll find nice large fresh greys. The nice thing about dense cedar patches is that when one tree is inoculated it is likely that most trees in the patch are (because the root networks intertwine): Thus you can easily fill a sack of fresh greys if you find such a spot: Other good thing: no ticks there as they do not seem to like needle-only soils ;) + morels generally are easy to spot + lack of briars.

April 16, 2015 at 6:50 pm #64128

vc

3 more lbs this morning….

photo 003_zpsogmsh4ng.jpg

photo 001_zps5arb8qmu.jpg

April 16, 2015 at 8:40 pm #64150

jodydt

If I find some that the edges of the ridges look a little dry is that too far gone?

April 16, 2015 at 10:03 pm #64169

morchellica

iwonagain, most of my cedar spots are in pawnee county, which until only recently, has received good rains. checked one spot and nothing yet but i think with the possibility of rain over the next couple days plus the warm up, i may have some good hunts ahead of me in the next week or two. there are lots of deer in the area i’m hunting now so i usually pick off about five or six ticks every time i go out. set my all time record a couple weeks ago: 15 ticks on me at one time; luckily i grabbed most of them off before they could get a drink. also, gonna go back to the storm damaged creek near kansas on monday or tuesday and will report what i find!

April 17, 2015 at 12:38 am #64199

vc

Joydt….if i can can give them a good squeeze and they are firm and dont crack/blow up there still good…
Morchellica….I would look in to

https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-premium-insect-repellent/

Ticks are not to be taken lightly…

April 17, 2015 at 1:04 am #64205

morchellica

vc, i may give that a try, i definitely don’t want to get anymore. i swear ticks used to not get on me but i’m realizing that i’m usually on my way to alaska by now and i’m not in ok when they get bad. there are no ticks or poison ivy in alaska, but it makes up for it in mosquitoes and devils club.

April 17, 2015 at 12:14 pm #64250

Iwonagain

Morchellica: Let us know what you find up there – I am curious to see how the season unfolds in your neck of the woods. Luckily OK does not have many reports of Lyme disease cases (http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/). However, these little devils still can transmit many other unpleasant diseases. It is always good to ask your wife/family member to scan your entire body 3 to 4 times before and/or after the shower. This year, I only got bitten once (and not all the way through) in the scalp. Also learn how to ID ticks: OK has 3 main species: Dog ticks, Lone Star ticks and the dreaded Deer ticks – The nymph of the Deer tick is the most dangerous as it can transmit Lyme and is very hard to spot. I was told that if you own a pasture, chicken will get rid of ticks on your land rather efficiently as, apparently, they love to feast on those.

April 17, 2015 at 12:27 pm #64251

jodydt

If they are real fragilr like that will hurt you to eat? Or will it just not have as good as a taste? I finally found some after alot of searching with no luck and have been craving them for a few years. So, some not quite up to par wont bother me any.

April 17, 2015 at 12:52 pm #64257

Iwonagain

jodydt: I usually leave them if they starting exhibiting that ‘wet cardboard’ smell and/or if mold is present. Some morels dry out naturally without apparent signs of decay and can remain fresh inside – but I usually peel off the outer dry/brown-ish layer with a pair of scissors (which can be quite a bit of work but worth it). If they break apart when you pick them and appear brownish and slightly transparent then then usually have that foul ‘cardboard’ odor. Eating a decaying mushroom is very much similar than consuming a rotting fruit. it won’t kill you for sure but the taste won’t be there ;)

April 17, 2015 at 10:21 pm #64329

Iwonagain

Last few 65 fresh shrooms of the season – Found about twice this amount that were past/rotten including some neat clusters…ouch:

April 17, 2015 at 10:30 pm #64332

Okie Shroom Hunter

Finally got the time to go out and ended up getting 137 (4.25 lbs) Don’t know how many ended up leaving cause they were to old. Funny thing was all the little grays I left last week just stayed the same size and turned black and old. Surprised they didn’t grow.

Area where around 50 were found

April 18, 2015 at 10:19 pm #64489

ShroomDawg

Nice haul Okie, Iwonagain you got a recipe for that spaghetti/mushroom dish? That looked mighty fine.

April 18, 2015 at 10:26 pm #64490

Iwonagain

ShroomDawg: Here goes the recipe for the morel reduction sauce:

A) Reduction sauce (best when morels are dehydrated but also works with fresh morels):

1) Cut each of them in ~2-3 pieces. If fresh, soak them in salty water for ~ 2-min sec to kill all the little insects (e.g, springtails) – For 2 people I’d use about 25 medium size morels (~3 inch with the foot). Dehydrated morels should be first soaked (‘revived’) into whole milk for ~10 min.

2) Fill in a small pan with heavy whip cream sauce and 25 g of butter (for 2 ppl maybe 350-400 ml) and place the morel pieces (+milk these were soaked in if originally dehydrated) into the sauce (for fresh morels make sure to remove as much water as possible from the morel pieces).

3) Add (grinded) ground pepper and sea salt.

4) Let the mix simmer for ~30-40 min at low heat (2-3 out of 10), stir occasionally every 1-2 min or so and add some more cream if necessary.

5) Optional: add one small spoon of white wine (anything will do but sweet wine).

Serve on butter-sauteed asparagus or green beans, oven roasted potatoes, pasta and/or a juicy steak.

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 675 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.