Oklahoma Message Board 2017

Morels.com Forums Oklahoma Oklahoma Message Board 2017

This topic contains 241 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  morchellica 1 hour, 12 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 242 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
January 2, 2017 at 8:25 pm #93267

Okie Shroom Hunter

Well a new year is now upon us so you know what that means!!, morel season is fast approaching and will be here for we know it!!! Excited to hear from everyone again and hope everyone has a great bountiful season this year!!!!

January 3, 2017 at 1:03 pm #93268

Nate

Happy New Year’s. I just told the grocery store paper for the first time yesterday. Starting to stock up. It won’t be long now.

January 30, 2017 at 9:19 pm #93297

pratherpea52

Hope this season is better than last year didn’t even find 1 Okmulgee-muskogee area

February 5, 2017 at 5:33 pm #93306

morchellica

Hey ya’ll! I feel we’re due a good morel season after the last couple of springs. Picked probably twenty morels in Oklahoma last spring but was rewarded with 250 lbs in Alaska last June.

February 6, 2017 at 1:57 pm #93307

Okie Shroom Hunter

Spring is around the bend, robins are out, turkey’s are strutin, trees are starting to get tiny buds, Hope this year is better, last year was my worst year but they have been getting worse the past few years hopefully last year was rock bottom. I’m beginning to wonder if the cold winters help them, seems like when we have cold snowy winters Iv done the best. Morchellica what time do you find them in Alaska?

February 6, 2017 at 2:46 pm #93308

tonsoffungus

I’m getting all kinds of fired up for this year. Concerned about the warm dry weather we’ve been having in DFW and along the state line but still time to get some moisture.

On the cold winters question, I’ve heard plenty of anecdotal evidence that a hard winter is good for morels. However, some of that anecdotal evidence has said morels won’t pop in the spring without a hard freeze the winter before. But I’ve found good flushes in central TX in winters without a good hard freeze. So lots of the info you’ll find out on the web just doesn’t apply that well to TX and OK.

In my experience (and according to the best advice I’ve received), the key around here is the late winter/spring weather profile. Season starts when it gets warm enough (soil temps steadily over 53 for about a week and accumulated degree days of at least 1000 seem to be popular metrics around here), assuming there is enough moisture. Too dry, and not much will happen. If it gets too warm before we get moisture, we get a bad season. So hope for some moist weather ahead (though not looking that way in Dallas).

February 6, 2017 at 2:56 pm #93309

morchellica

I started finding them in late May, they peaked about the second week of June and found some on a trip in July where the forest didn’t burn as severely so there was still shade. I think snow just provides a good moisture release at a critical time for morel growth. Big snowpacks are one of the reasons morels grow so good in places like Michigan.

http://imgur.com/a/Mbj8G

February 6, 2017 at 3:05 pm #93310

tonsoffungus

If you really want to get nerdy, check out this link. Not very TX specific, but an in depth discussion about when morels fruit.

http://www.namyco.org/is_it_time_for_morels_yet.php

February 6, 2017 at 7:32 pm #93311

Okie Shroom Hunter

What part of Alaska morchellica? Southeast? Im planning a trip up through BC and Alaska this year but not till August, wondered if they had morels up there, iv always considered moving up there and still am.

interesting link tonsoffungus ill have to save that! It was just an observation that iv made through the years I didnt know if there was any science backing it or not…..

February 6, 2017 at 8:35 pm #93312

morchellica

Central Alaska, between Anchorage and Fairbanks. August is too late to do any good but as long as a cool/wet summer persists then there may still be some stragglers to find. Just have to find an accessible forest fire site from one to two years earlier, which is definitely the hardest part.

February 7, 2017 at 3:44 pm #93315

Nate

I wish that groundhog would have said early spring…

February 7, 2017 at 7:44 pm #93317

Okie Shroom Hunter

Wow didn’t expect morels to grow that far north, may have to plan a trip up there just to pick morels ;)

And with temps this high we may be picking morels before the end of the month if it dosnt get cold again

February 8, 2017 at 10:02 am #93321

morchellica

Okie Shroom Hunter, they grow as far north as there are trees which is well north of the arctic circle. There wasn’t much fire activity this last summer but there were a few large remote fires. My business partner and I may be chartering a float plane in June to one of the fires and drying them on site. If you find yourself in Alaska in mid-June and want to throw in on a charter, you are more than welcome to join the hunt. But it’s not so much of a hunt and more like a mushroom picking marathon.

February 9, 2017 at 10:07 am #93323

Silvermorel

Morchellica I want to go too! hehe

February 9, 2017 at 12:03 pm #93324

Iwonagain

Howdy again fellow shroomers ! I see the board is starting to come back to life :) – Only about 6-7 weeks before things start to light up in our neck of the woods. Juneau, Alaska is only a few degrees (latitude) farther north than northern Poland, which is Europe’s mushroom capital with Czech Republic – Alaska is largely covered by evergreens and, hence, are prime grounds for the Elata type dark/black morels – which is grown commercially in China now. As far as taste goes, I tend to lean towards the less pungent and more delicate flavor of the Esculenta (grey/yellow morels) associated with ashes/cottonwoods/elms/junipers. Esculenta in general are more prized for that reason and aren’t easily found dehydrated in supermarkets. Counting the days folks and hope we can get some serious rains to get out of an ever-growing drought !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 242 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.