Oklahoma Message Board 2017

Morels.com Forums Oklahoma Oklahoma Message Board 2017

This topic contains 241 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  morchellica 1 hour, 6 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 242 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
March 18, 2017 at 10:26 pm #93971

morchellica

I put in a few miles yesterday walking some woods south of I40 that has gotten some of the largest amounts of rain in the last 30 days and no morels. Lots of big sickly looking elms and ash, perfect looking mushroom ground but the soil was bone dry. Did find a couple of old homesteads that were really cool. Was looking down and walked right up to the edge of an old water well that was easily 25+ feet deep. Spooky.

March 20, 2017 at 11:59 am #94003

RanGo

Never I seen May apples this big and this thick and no morels??

March 20, 2017 at 12:07 pm #94004

RanGo

March 20, 2017 at 1:48 pm #94005

Iwonagain

Morchellica: That is why I opted to save gas/tick bites based on what I saw last week ;) – The models hints at some chances of rain for Central OK – Wed night and Thu night [for some unknown reason, the weather service keeps on maintaining a zero chance for the former - but I believe there is actually chance for Wed night]. My concern is that when the rains come the ground may be already too warm (>62-64F) for morels to fruit in most places. If I am wrong, then they might just come out in mass and it will be a short 2 week season. Warm winters usually are surrogate for below average morel season. Some pubs have also found that warm winters also stems for a delay in the season…Will see what this year brings (if we can just get a quarter of an inch of rain that is !).

March 20, 2017 at 2:01 pm #94006

Okie Shroom Hunter

I find old home steads about as exciting as finding morels, I know of a guy that found 2 sacks full Saturday but I haven’t got the chance to go look anymore, but may try tonight, iwon how do the rain chances look for thursday night – Friday local channel shows 70% chance

March 20, 2017 at 2:10 pm #94007

Iwonagain

Okie: Given that most of your neck of the woods hasn’t received more than 0.15 inches in the last 10-days, I find it hard to believe that morels could thrive/grow in such a hostile environment. Strangely enough, North Central and NE OK has received decent rains in the last 10 days [0.3-0.7], but very sporadic-to-no reports there…Do you know where [ie, county] this person found them?
To return to your question, your area (Ada, right?) has a good chance of seeing a line of strong storms by Thu night/Friday morning. I’d say that central OK has a 50-50 chance because some models has a line of storms initiating far West, then dissipating, followed by a re – invigoration on Thu night farther East. Basically leapfrogging Central OK. If this happens; I’ll be quite aggravated to say the least …

March 20, 2017 at 2:33 pm #94009

morchellica

I spent about five hrs Sunday exporing a large area near Tulsa and found zero signs of morels. However, most every “morelly” looking spot sill had a surprising amount of moisture in the soil and even with it as hot as it was, it still felt cool in the woods. It may be too late for a lot of places but I feel like there is still gonna be a season for NE OK, just need a soaking rain to bring them up. Soil temps have been running a little cooler up here as well and thankfully this is the last hot day, bc a few more days of this and we would be toast for sure.

March 20, 2017 at 3:15 pm #94010

Iwonagain

Morchellica: While some trees are already ahead of schedule, some of those that I usually associate with morels aren’t: E.g., most baby cedars still are ‘sleepy’ or just start to wake up. Most American Elms do not have squirrel-sized leaves yet [most are still seeding]. None of the ‘markers’ near my house have reached their peak yet with the exception of the redbuds in my backyard. Half of my daffodils are either already past or blooming – In a nuthsell, nature seems confused by this wacky weather and I hope that the morels are in the sleepy side of things. I also hope that most spots under cedars will remain cool enough for the next rains to trigger them there. Come on RAIN !!!

March 20, 2017 at 4:05 pm #94013

bdlyons26

Found well over 100 today in an early spot on a South facing slope.
She generally produces 30 to 60 shrooms but double this year. only picked a hand l full as the majority were under and inch or 2. Give us one more decent rain please. Creek County.

March 20, 2017 at 4:06 pm #94014

bdlyons26

can’t remember how to post pics

March 20, 2017 at 5:29 pm #94017

morchellica

bdlyons26, congrats! that’s the kind of report i’ve been waiting to hear from my neck of the woods!

March 20, 2017 at 9:15 pm #94025

Okie Shroom Hunter

45 in about 1:30 left 21 little ones still out there so far all but 1 this year was found on the same place guess it’s time to start checking others, under the leaf litter it’s still moist but still need rain!!

http://imgur.com/HgqA1oI

29 in the pic because I picked 5 that I left last time

March 20, 2017 at 9:20 pm #94026

Okie Shroom Hunter

Well I’m having probs with the pic so I’ll just leave the link

Nate,Luke, VC, Santa y’all finding any yet ?

March 20, 2017 at 10:55 pm #94028

ndwoods

Right now is when I start finding them…….just my opinion, but the cool snap last week, just put us back on schedule!!

March 21, 2017 at 2:19 am #94030

RanGo

[URL=http://.photobucket.com/user/RanGo58/media/IMG_0756_zpsaqehhlva.jpg.html

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 242 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.