Oklahoma Message Board 2017

Morels.com Forums Oklahoma Oklahoma Message Board 2017

This topic contains 33 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Sparky2453 8 hours, 10 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
February 9, 2017 at 4:17 pm #93325

morchellica

The flavor is definitely more intense but it would be interesting to cook the different black species seperately and do a taste test to see which is the strongest. I really loved picking and eating m. tomentosa; they are really beefy and dense for a morel bc they are double walled and stemmed.

February 11, 2017 at 3:39 pm #93327

morchellica

Anyone ever worked on enhancing the forest to promote morel growth? I noticed an ash that recently snapped do to wind damage but there’s a thick understory of smaller trees, briars, and other weeds and a fair amount of leaf depth surrounding it. I’m thinking about thinning out the brush and then raking the leaves away in a big circle around the tree.

February 13, 2017 at 8:29 pm #93336

Okie Shroom Hunter

Wow and thanks morchellica! I probably wont happen to be up in that area this May or June but very well might be next years ;)

Loving this rain!! 8-14 day forecast seems to show above avg temps and kinda straddling the precip line and the month outlook pretty much the same …… my guess would be an early morel season if it dosnt get to hot to quick

P.S Snakes are already out

February 13, 2017 at 11:51 pm #93337

luke_creekwalker

Yo my fellow briar bandits…….kinda feel like ima beat my previous early find of march 17th…..sure has been warm round these parts…….

February 14, 2017 at 12:17 pm #93342

dennispowers

I am looking for a mushroom buddy here in Oklahoma. I am experienced Colorado mountain mushroom hunter but need morel buddy (man or woman) to trek and talk with. I’m in Oklahoma city area but can drive anywhere in the state. I know morel people tend to be very secretive about their spots. I can keep a secret or you can drive me to your spot blindfolded! I have studied mushroom hunting extensively.

February 14, 2017 at 7:47 pm #93343

Oldpicker78

Hey man I am always happy to take someone out with my family to our honey hole !!! Me and kids and wife enjoy this time together and with friends it’s even sweeter !!! My place is 40 min. West of OKC and is always worth it !!! Hit me up if interested !!!

February 17, 2017 at 7:42 pm #93347

rodneyp64

The mountain fire hunts out west were epic last year. Montana in May, Idaho in June and we picked our last morels in Kettle Falls, Washington on July 30th. The fire hunts are a lot of work and you have to be willing to out walk/climb the commercial pickers, but once the fire morels aka conicas are gone the commercial crews leave and the mountain grays and blondes are plentiful.First find in OK could be in February this year if the weather forecast holds true.!!

February 18, 2017 at 10:58 am #93354

morchellica

Rodneyp64, I got to pick a fire this last summer in Alaska and grays are awesome mushrooms. Those and blondes were definitely the thickest and the choicest to pick. I found my first small blacks on May 24th, grays peaked around June 10th, blondes around the 20th and found my last on July 17th. From what I could tell there were five different fire morel species. I had to drive my suburu down ten miles of the roughest, waterlogged and rutted roads I’ve ever driven on in my life but I literally had about fifteen thousand acres of burned spruce to myself and managed to pick around 250 lbs while working six days a week at two other jobs. So mad I didn’t quit one of my jobs bc it wouldn’t have been anything to get a thousand lbs.

February 18, 2017 at 8:49 pm #93357

HunterGatherer

after a rough midwest season last spring i came back home to AZ and had a great time picking Fire Morels in my home state, wish i had never left, not sure what this year will bring, you never Know, shroom on

February 18, 2017 at 9:01 pm #93358

Okie Shroom Hunter

Im defiantly gonna have to do some burn sight hunts next year, I love remote areas and hiking on top of morel pickin so it sounds like a perfect combination!!

As for here in okiehoma I seen a pear tree in full bloom out in the country side today 8-O

February 19, 2017 at 12:36 pm #93362

Arkanshrooms

Hey you Okies! Good luck to all my neighbors out west. I’m expecting an early season in Arkansas too, I always watch your message boards because you guys get them up in Texas/Oklahoma border first. Arkansas morels are always at least a week later. Trees are budding in Arkansas now, pears in bloom, seeds sprouting from the ground. I think it may be the earliest season ever. I pick morels from Arkansas all the way to Minnesota but I have never been to the west in the burn areas in summer. It’s on my bucket list. I need a friend to help show me how to get started in western fire morels. I travel for a living as a photographer so I can make a trip in summer when morels end in the mid-west. Do you stay out west Morchellica?

February 20, 2017 at 1:05 pm #93369

morchellica

Arkanshrooms, I spend most of my winter/spring in Oklahoma and then go work in the Alaska every summer. If you are interested in possibly picking in Alaska mid-June then there’s a couple possibilities, one of which requires chartering a plane to a remote burn. Looking for a few other pickers than can help share the cost of the charter which really isn’t too outrageous. Beautiful scenery abounds for photographs as well. If you would like me to share some more info please email me. zayshaeffer@gmail.com

February 20, 2017 at 7:22 pm #93372

Arkanshrooms

Awesome! Thanks. I’ll email you, subject Alaska morels.

February 21, 2017 at 11:16 am #93374

morel tornado

So I know it’s hard to believe, but a guy in McDonald County, Missouri found a grey morel already. He posted the pic with a newspaper on the ground so it looks legit. I know they’re not up in masses yet, but I’m sure there are a few micro-climates here in Oklahoma where a few greys are starting to pop. I knew it would be an early season but this is crazy!!

February 21, 2017 at 2:08 pm #93375

Iwonagain

Last year, the first young morel specimens in central/E OK were found on the first week of March with some spots already having mature (3-4 inches) specimens by March 9-10. Last w-e soil temps (at various depts) were well over 50F and this week is no different [+ moist soil over a deep layer]:

http://www.mesonet.org/index.php/weather/soil_temperature

http://www.mesonet.org/index.php/weather/soil_moisture

Next Mon/Tue is also expected to bring temps well into the 70′s and lows in the 50′s [with soil still moist in leafy areas], so it may not be surprising that the first young specimens be found by March 1st in our neck of the woods [central and eastern OK]. Some of the red buds in my backyard already are starting to show their purple colors [swollen flower buds but not fully bloomed yet]

Can’t wait !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.