Shroomin aint for wussies!

Morels.com Forums Missouri Shroomin aint for wussies!

This topic contains 160 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  kb 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 161 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
April 24, 2016 at 10:40 pm #73186

KIRBY PRO

Shroomdawg! I was laughing so hard I was crying on that story!! I’m thinking we need to make a long haul north somewhere if we want to get the freshies. I havent found enough shrooms to satisfy my addiction yet, so lets get that muthaload weve been waiting all year for!!! :lol:

April 24, 2016 at 11:00 pm #73188

NewB87

I’ve never looked at it like, I guess this hole time I was thinking It was luck it was bc even after the poison ivy and the blood sucking ticks it was not giving into being a quitter. I’m going to pass that along to the next newb shroom stomper that needs light at the end of the tunnel. Worked a 12 today and normally I would be tempted to check a spot on the way home but the only thing I was pickin today was pickin up a 6 pak at the honey hole that produced fresh cold 9″ bottles 365 days a year guaranteed not come home not empty handed.

Don’t know about you dawg but I think this shroom hunting hound dog printed on this bottle is trying to point me in the right direction? This hour glass is ticking with the prednisone running through my veins like I have a get out of jail free card with a expiration date. Seeing some pictures going around on Facebook of some nice Iowa morels being picked yesterday and today. Off Thursday to Saturday the porche will have to keep on waiting.

April 25, 2016 at 9:49 am #73221

ShroomDawg

Well, went out Sunday and we almost got blanked, maybe 1-2 lbs. Not sure what to think now but with the rain last night there’s a chance if a shroomer was to go the extra mile and hill that a few more could be had. I like the beer bottle NewBy and you’re right the Dawg is thinkin the porch is where my ass will be very soon. After Sunday I’m thinkin it’s getting close to the end but like most hardcore shroomers I’ll probably get out one more time.

April 25, 2016 at 11:22 pm #73297

kb

madman, i don’t see a change on the west side. i think the rain came to late to make things good . in fact it rained so much up towards Sioux City anything up got soaked. The east side may still be better is the thinking around here, Maybe. I just doubt it. First time in since i can’t remember where i could not just drive a few hundred miles in some direction and pick a box or two of morels. Has really made no difference this year… the Mo. river bottoms have really been the best place to be this year. And they were not great. So, what to do? I may go north a few hundred Thur.just to see. One pound pays my gas, the time away from work is priceless. Next year is a loooong time away. who knows i may hit the MOTHERLOAD.

April 26, 2016 at 1:18 am #73301

NewB87

Stopped after work to check a spot in the olathe area on the way home sense I can’t seem to accept it’s a wrap in this area and didn’t find even a single to old, burnt up or moldy morel. Was dam near on my hands a knees hoping to of just found a single lonesome shroom. I still feel it’s soon enough there could be a small flush with a little more heat but am probably just to optimistic. Places im checking look like they should be prime to, although I did score my first chicken of the woods today.

April 26, 2016 at 1:22 am #73302

NewB87

Had a heck of a time carrying it out of the woods, first time seeing it and trying. The boss lady said it’s her new favorite, the name first it quit well. It’s meaty like cooked chicken and tasted pretty dam close to chicken.

April 26, 2016 at 6:52 am #73313

ShroomDawg

I need to broaden my shroom knowledge Newby, I’m probably passing up a lot of shrooms that all them upper crust people would pay phat money to get their hands on. I’m guessing they serve these exotic shrooms for snacks at their fancy dinner parties….., I think the 1%’ers call them whoredervs. Anyway now that I know what a “chicken in the woods” looks like I’ll pass the info on to the Posse. I have seen quite a few dryads this year but have never taken one home to eat, guess I need to check the inter webs and see how to cook some up. Takin one more trip north just so I can sleep tonight, can’t stand thinkin I left some out there to rot. :wink:

April 26, 2016 at 12:45 pm #73348

kb

whoredervs? do you eat em or what?

April 26, 2016 at 12:48 pm #73349

kb

shroomdawg, have you seen that one goofy show where that Matherly dude from Minn.mushroom club runs around the woods with a picnick basket picking those upper crust fungi. I think i can see you with one of those baskets, only full of brew.

April 26, 2016 at 6:09 pm #73381

ShroomDawg

kb, I think it is spelt “hors d’oeuvres”, but that’s to damn much spelling when I can just go with whoredervs, besides that frick them 1%’ers and their dinner party’s…….., well unless they’re wantin to pony up $40/lb, at that point it’s all good.

Went just south of the IA line today with Kirby Pro and got about 4-5 lbs, most were still in very good shape and nice size. Ran into a turkey hunter and he said a couple of his buddies went out on the MO river bottoms over the weekend near the line and found 4 grocery sacks so now I’m thinkin one more trip towards Omaha somewhere on the bottoms but I still have to talk myself and the Posse into the roadie……., it’s hard breaking the mold, being bold and taking the risk that we’ll waste a day of vacation from work and get our asses handed to us……, but as Benny Franklin once said “nothing ventured, nothing gained.

April 26, 2016 at 8:17 pm #73397

ShroomDawg

Some pics from the last couple of shroom stompin journeys.

A “Shroom Bow K”

photo IMG_1165 1_zpsa0toefpd.jpg

Posse checkin out the bounty from 04/22/2016

photo IMG_2789 2_zpsvajrrnnk.jpg

Hopefully this aint the last pics for 2016 but if it is I aint gonna complain considering how bad it was looking 2 weeks ago.
:lol:

April 26, 2016 at 8:23 pm #73399

ShroomDawg

kb, I’m gonna google this Matherly dude to what the hell goin on with a pickanic basket……, LOL, only a shroom yuppie from Minnescrotum would be carry a pickanic basket.

I probably ought not make fun of this Minnescrotum shroom yuppie……, he’s prolly bankin serious jack off of those exotic funguy! :lol:

April 26, 2016 at 8:44 pm #73409

kb

Matherly came down here a few years ago and hunted with some buddies of mine. IN THE HILLS. HA. He was toast from the start,then lost his phone and spent the rest of the time looking for it. But he ‘s got some convinced he is an expert so they put him in a show. If he tried to go where i picked mine this weekend, he would have had to be air lifted out. Anyhow, i hope to get annother hunt or two in. I was going to go where i think you went today after work, but i quit challenging storms a few years ago. Can’t run from the timber as fast.

April 26, 2016 at 9:05 pm #73416

NewB87

That fancy mushroom put a crisp fresh off the press Benjamin in my pocket today lol, didn’t know what to do with it all and was telling a buddy at work about my findings yesterday. His eyes grew big as he asked if I would sell some, asked him what a walmart sack full was worth to him and shook hands shortly after. I do must say it was a very exquisite taste and made me feel like I should of been sippin some fine bubbly ha joke. If you see it say pick it, it’s pretty tasty but can’t see my self stompin around looking for it.

Didn’t that matherly guy just get done doing a forray this past weekend in our neck of the woods?

Them some pretty nice looking shrooms no doubt dawg has me wanting to take a sick day to try and get a head start lol. Half day tomorrow and then off Thursday-Saturday, patients isn’t something that’s on my side this time of year but give me time to plan a search and rescue. Pretty sure it’s the last run I’ll be making so have to make it count.

April 26, 2016 at 9:06 pm #73418

ShroomDawg

Everything we found was below the line and in good shape. We could not get on any pattern, checked a ton of killer trees but did not get many off the trees. The most we found in one spot was 7-8 but due to the larger size I think it’s over in MO by this weekend. Might head towards Omaha tomorrow for one last look.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 161 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.