St. Joseph/ NW.Mo

Morels.com Forums Missouri St. Joseph/ NW.Mo

This topic contains 87 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  trotline 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
April 29, 2015 at 9:55 pm #66154

kb

weston, blufffwoods, mostly north facing slopes.

April 30, 2015 at 3:58 pm #66252

NewB87

Thanks kb! I’m hoping this last attempt tomorrow will be something worth talking about. I might even try and drive a little farther north if I can. Is it still mid season in bluffwoods weston area would you say kb or is getting to the end?

May 1, 2015 at 9:49 am #66361

kb

Well it is late. that just means there are possibilities of morels on any slope. Just many will be bad. I picked my first morels in town on April 7 and I picked some big north slope ones on the same bluff 2 days ago. been a long season in N. Mo. Look for places down here with less sun. With the warmer temps. and rain coming what is up will get ruined so get them now. You need to get across the Iowa line to see good ones on all slopes in general

May 1, 2015 at 2:04 pm #66393

ShroomDawg

Dawg posse is headin north tomorrow towards IA line, may be the last hunt, momma nature gonna let us know.

May 1, 2015 at 5:46 pm #66424

kb

Dawg,go poach some of those good Iowa morels, The hunt never ends, just gotta drive farther. Hey you took that one picture in disguise in St. Joe? I recognize the school in the background.

May 1, 2015 at 5:55 pm #66425

kb

NewB, Look at it this way. I drove over 500 miles in one trip south this spring to pick 20 morels. that sucked. But I did find new places to hunt in the future and ruled out some others. If you like picking morels like I do that is worth something. Go north at least until you hit good lilac blooms still. I know St. Joe still has good ones.

May 1, 2015 at 11:45 pm #66498

ShroomDawg

Shhhhh KB, the Dawg has to be keepin his anonymity, but you’re right that was taken in St Joe. You may even know who the Dawg is but lets keep that amongst ourselves. :wink:

May 4, 2015 at 4:06 pm #66788

ruthead

So is it over? Found 0 yesterday around Cameron while chasing turkeys.

May 4, 2015 at 10:00 pm #66823

kb

pretty much over here rut, check north facing slopes with cover and you can prob. still get some good ones.

May 5, 2015 at 10:40 am #66867

NewB87

Appreciate all the advice you have given me kb this year, last year and even the year before. i get a good laugh at seeing posts from new mushroom hunters just getting into it for the first time and how frustrated they get from not being able to find any can’t understand why like I was when started off. Only being my 5th year and still wet being my ears I learn more and more each year. Each year I find more then the year before and have been lucky enough to even find clusters of 10-15 and even 25 morels all bundled together.

Update from Fridays adventure I didn’t do so well as I decided to go 71 North east of St Joseph instead of staying on 29N like I should have seeing how beautiful the hills looked passing threw about a hour ago. Came back with 20 decent ones but didn’t even find thought until i was on the way back in a creek bottom off a dirt road from 71. took a vacation day today and are north bound as we speek. Stopped around hamburg to stretch my legs and took a look around the MO river and only seen 1 nice sized blonde laid over assuming bc of the rain. It’s definitely pretty wet up here and hope to have mother nature on my side when I decide to stop when I decide I’m done driving lol. Going to hit the slopes somewhere between Nebraska city and Omaha around the IA NE border. I’ll update later if mother nature was good to me today.

May 5, 2015 at 8:30 pm #66941

kb

good luck new, there are some up there. Hope you pick a thousand. Oh, and call me and tell me where you are at, because I have not found that spot this year yet.

May 5, 2015 at 9:11 pm #66951

ShroomDawg

Damnit NewB87, you’re gettin to close to Dawg stompin ground but ya seem alright so good luck son. :lol:

May 7, 2015 at 8:26 pm #67227

kb

Dawg, any good or did you drown?

May 8, 2015 at 7:55 pm #67347

ShroomDawg

Around 6lbs but you could tell it was over, checked the same spots we found fresh stuff on Sat/Sun and not many new shrooms were up so we’s calling it a year, ya know we did not really deal with any rain so in that regard the huntin was pretty good conditions.

:wink:

March 31, 2016 at 9:04 pm #70705

kb

OK, time to go look NW. Mo. Ignore the calendar. Global warming must be a reality, since two of the three times in my life picking morels in March around here has happened in the last 5 years. Wish we had not missed the rain yesterday though. The little ones I left need it. Early spots with moisture. Many early spots were too dry.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.