St. Joseph/ NW.Mo

Morels.com Forums Missouri St. Joseph/ NW.Mo

This topic contains 87 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  trotline 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
March 31, 2016 at 11:11 pm #70721

taterqueen913

Yes we definately could’ve used the rain. My usual first find spots are kicking up dust when you walk, thought I’d take a look-see but nothing so far.

April 6, 2016 at 11:29 pm #71298

kb

Picked almost a half a bushel of morels this evening before it got to dark. Right place at the right time.

April 7, 2016 at 12:32 pm #71333

JeffSchre

You lucky bastard. :mrgreen: I’m hoping I can go out this weekend and find something other than May Apples…I may need to up my Tree Identification game

April 11, 2016 at 11:16 pm #71784

kb

What a mess of a season. Best spots I have in the midwest are to dry to pick much if any. Got lucky to get close to #10 so far between bottoms and hills. The season is passing us by I think. Lilacs are in full bloom, dandy lions are seeding, I have had to cut my yard twice. I picked my first 2 weeks ago today. Means that this week will show what there is left to grow. Nothing new, its to dry.

April 11, 2016 at 11:32 pm #71785

NewB87

kb thanks for the response I’m used to hunting the bottoms around fallen over cottonwoods but for some reason the bark appears different then the cottonwood’s I’m used to seeing. I’m more familiar and educated on my vegetation then I’ve ever been but still catch my self questioning my self. Top was broken off right above the pic and was at the bottom of a hill close to a creek.

April 12, 2016 at 12:17 am #71791

NewB87

Yikes just noticed I peeled to the wrong topice 8-O

Sorry gent’s

April 12, 2016 at 5:11 pm #71839

HunterGatherer

Just walked for 3 hours at lewis and clark sp, one large bunch of false morels, never see that many in one spot, fist sized, not a good day, with my luck I’ll reach in the cooler and get a false bud light

April 12, 2016 at 8:49 pm #71855

kb

hunter, beats a stick in the eye. My grandpa used to eat those false ones, guess he was lucky and never poisoned himself. Usually they appear before real morels, this year who knows. I got skunked on a late run out in some bottoms and hills east of me today.

April 12, 2016 at 9:27 pm #71860

HunterGatherer

Boy. This has been a strange year, plenty of moisture, soil temps in the low 60s, prime lookng grounds, everything but morels . Oh well can’t have everything

April 13, 2016 at 8:39 pm #71925

kb

Season is ending in NW. Mo. I picked my local north slope trees today. 8 lbs last year, same trees only 6 morels this year. South slopes started 2 weeks ago. Anyone still waiting, whats up is up, better find what you can. Worst I have seen it around here in over a decade, maybe two. Just my opinion, but If you somehow find a box full send me a picture. Hope northern states are better.

April 13, 2016 at 11:01 pm #71946

NewB87

It’s getting dryer and dryer every passing day, have a few spots still holding good moisture that’s not to over grown yet. Hopefully this heat will make them pop in thoughs areas, if this rain were hopefully going to get is a good one I have a little hope it will turn things around. It’s stayed pretty cool for this dry spell, the soils moist enough a couple inches below the surface it might be enough to turn things around. April 30th will be the last week I’ll be in these woods before headed to Iowa for a weekend in thoughs woods.

April 13, 2016 at 11:25 pm #71949

HunterGatherer

Hunted hard around mound city for couple of hours this morning, soil temps in the high 60s, found nothing

April 14, 2016 at 6:39 pm #72054

trotline

You may be right kb. Taking dad out Saturday to a couple spots I haven’t checked yet along the platte river. Everything is so dry, even the May apples looked a little droopy.

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.