1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Big horn mountains

Discussion in 'Wyoming' started by A-A-RON, May 9, 2017.

1. A-A-RON

A-A-RON Young Morel

When do most people start looking in the big horns for morels?

2. butchbob

butchbob Morel Connoisseur

Aaron - We target the top of the central/northern Bighorns in mid-June. We do much better around ponderosa pine and aspen than lodgepole pine or various spruce w/softwoods. North facing moist slopes also productive then. Rain is key. Latest black morel find there is June 30, few yellows. Good Luck!

3. butchbob

Once this dump of snow melts we'll head to the Big Horns about 5 days post melt. Roughly a 3 hour drive, but worth it for black morels.

4. kb st.joe.mo

kb st.joe.mo Morel Enthusiast

butchbob, do they pick many naturals/yellows/greys in the Bighorns and if so when do they start coming on? Are you hunting burns or just general spots? I have relation in Sheridan and have thought about a trip west to try something new. I have friends who hunt burns up in Montana and Idaho but my mother was from Wyoming and it would be kind of cool to pick some there.

5. butchbob

kb - we harvest almost exclusively natural black morels, oysters and King Bolete in the Big Horns and focus on highest elevation aspen groves on steep N facing slopes...key on leaves just starting to form on the aspen and moist areas. The NE half of the range (Sheridan) is much more productive than the SW half (Ten Sleep) - we have no luck around lodgepole pine or rocky soils. Plenty of moose to avoid especially moose w/calves. ATV's are a substantial help w/access as this is big, isolated and very remote country where cell coverage is sparse. Take your fly rods as white fish and trout go great w/fresh mushrooms. Let us know how you do!

6. butchbob

Will be NE of Burgess Junction at 5 AM Sunday.