1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

hunting in Grant county

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by steph_n_darrin, Apr 4, 2013.

1. steph_n_darrin

steph_n_darrin Young Morel

PLEASE HELP!!! I moved here over the winter from Nebraska and do not know where or when to start looking for morels in this area. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. rosiertroop

rosiertroop Young Morel

Hunt only on your own property. It is illegal and extreamly rude to trespass on other peoples property. The parks are usually picked out within a day.

3. sweats71

sweats71 Young Morel

go to your local chamber of commerce, or dnr station and ask for a map of public land.. buy a plat book if you really want to learn the are and who owns where... then ask for permission to hunt the land you want too...

4. steph_n_darrin

steph_n_darrin Young Morel

Thank You, I got permission to hunt on someone else's property with them. Is it too early to try this week after the thunderstorms? We are forecast to get rain/storms Tuesday and Wednesday.

5. leonlafever

leonlafever Morel Enthusiast

I live in Jay county, straight east of Grant... It will probably be another 2 weeks before they pop up. I have my own woods and I usually find them the 3rd and 4th week of April. Last year, I didn't find any, because it was too dry, but the year before, I found over 400. You might want to start doing your rain dance.

6. leonlafever

leonlafever Morel Enthusiast

As for 'where' to look, I have a creek and they love to grow on the ridgelines of the high banks. Also around apple trees.

7. kellyc

kellyc Young Morel

Welcome to Grant County Steph n Darrin. I moved here from Michigan 3 years ago. It's a little tougher to find the mushrooms here than where I came from but they are out there. There is plenty of state land around the reservoirs and I think we all know they don't grow in one day and don't get picked in one day either! I don't expect to see them for a few weeks, either, but this warm weather is sure putting me in the mood to hunt! Good luck!