Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Minnesota morels 2017

182K views 771 replies 95 participants last post by  Lisse Michaels 
#1 ·
The time is close! Waiting for morels. Hoping to make a south trip good luck to everyone.

#125 ·
Anyone in the south metro, like far south metro??? New to posting, not the forum. I've been stalking this forum creepily for some time now and figured I should start pulling my weight.

Thought I'd share some pretty useless information. Went out looking once in the far south metro area but had no luck yet. What I did see made me think to wait till warm weather showed up before venturing out again. Seems early still... and cold. Or should I keep getting my boots muddy as ***k?

#127 ·
I am new to this site and mushroom hunting. I found 1 morel last season while i was working construction. It was amazing I didn't even cook it I just washed it and ate it. Anyway if i am unable to find any mushrooms this year would someone want to sell me a pound? I am in the NE Minneapolis.

#128 ·
Can't help you with morels for sale but I can tell you that you don't want to eat them (or almost any wild mushroom) raw. Morels contain hydrazine (and possibly other) toxins that are destroyed during the cooking process and can cause upset stomach or worse.

Eating wild mushrooms is not something to be taken lightly, even morels. There are poisonous lookalikes that the untrained hunter could possibly mistake for a true morel. You need to know 100% exactly what you're doing, be 1,000% certain in your identification, prepare them properly and sample slowly when trying any new mushroom for the first time.

#157 ·
I could maybe sell you a pound. I am certified by the state of MN department of Agriculture to accurately identify some wild mushrooms and sell them (including morels!). However, it's hard to say if I'll have enough to sell you until I get some! I live in uptown. private message me with your number and as soon as I have enough to hook you up, I'll do it! $30 a pound though, just to give ya a heads up!

#131 ·
Israel, welcome a board. I'd believe you if ya said ya saw a wren, cause I know your old man brought you up right & would expect you to know the diff between a wren & a sparrow!! You could find some smallish ones down there this weekend, & Ramps for sure. Good luck.

#132 ·
That beak on that fast movin sunofabitch. Wrenometer still at defcon 2. Nada have fun hunting this weekend oldelm. Probably see walmart bags all over the forest! :) people caring walmart bags that is. Someone said they found some in monticello, so I herd. Said on the app tracebook. Oops I ment facebook. I think cannon falls on Sunday just a hunch. Bucky

#134 ·
No worries. Its gonna be a good season for mn and wisconsin. Its all coming together out in da woods! Lilac o meter has got me thinking this year. Leaves almost wide open with purple buds showing. Reminds me of last year except we had all that cold shit which stunted that first flush. This year is mild no hard freezes. Thank god! So lilac o meter is ahead of wrenometer which is usually the otherway. Bucky

#140 ·
Welcome MorelMonkey. I am South of Elmo/New Market. I checked a public honey hole of mine in the metro and nothing, just new signs about harvesting plants. I haven't really checked anything else yet. Yes it is soggy and muddy. Need some 60's low 70's. Are you hunting public land? Or do you have access to some private property?

#144 ·
Btw, when people say they found morels in "the metro" what specific suburbs are they referring to? I'm never sure where the metro ends and the rest of mn towns begin?
I think it depends on who you ask. I pretty much consider more or less continuous city between the location and Minneapolis/St Paul. I live in southeast Ramsey. I can see Anoka from my deck. I consider it suburbs here, but if you get further out in Ramsey, maybe not. I don't consider St Francis or Elk River suburbs, but some people do. Some people think Stillwater and Forest Lake are suburbs too.

#196 ·
Very clever handle bud. You're O'le Dad has called a couple times,but I can't hear so well on these damn little phones! Ya gotta teach him how to txt. Can he give me yr #? That way I can keep in touch W/U about the progression of the season. Don't post yr # on here,ok.
I'll Prob hook up with him this week sometime.

#145 ·
I have never been stopped by the authorities, but I glide in and out like a Ninja, just a slight breeze and a whistle of a knife blade, then silence. like your new name Israel, if I had to get another one maybe shroom Ninja. Metro area? good question. But even then, South Metro really heats up faster than North or west Metro from what I noticed all these years. even watching the temp gauge while driving there is a difference notice it.

#146 ·
As far as Southwest MN/Mn River Valley goes Id give it another 10 days. The reports on Facebook (besides Blacks) are the very earliest of pops, and only tiny ones being found. Ive made a couple quick scouting forays and it's definitely still super early. Not saying you wont find any but these cool temps are going to cause a nice, long, slow flush. What these overzealous guys stomping around in the woods are finding is just the tip of the iceberg. Unfortunately they're also probably stepping on dozens if not hundreds that just aren't visible yet. If temps maintain like this we are in for a long season, patience is key right now. We still have nighttime lows in the 30s on the way.

Im betting even with the early start, May 10-15 or thereabouts is going to be "peak" in southern mn, pretty close to what it is every year.

#150 ·
took some temps by a sunny spot yesterday 47-48. went out in the woods 43-44. way early I agree. no dandelions at all. did see some dutch-mans breeches flowers today, and some young jack in the pulpit . no fiddle heads in my spot either. The way its going with these cooler nights we might be looking at a very long growing cycle. maybe the year of the big-foots

#151 · (Edited)
I am not encouraged by your run in with the Three Rivers folks BigRob. Sad that they made you dump them, but I suppose it may have helped distribute some spores at least! I frequent many of their parks and did know that morels fell under harvesting law.

It seems to be getting harder and harder these days to find land that you can legally hunt on. Unless you have the owners permission or land of your own it almost always seems like their is a law prohibiting what your doing.

Does anyone know exactly which types of public land we can legally hunt on in Minnesota?

PS. So far my season has produced,
0 = Morels
2 = Ticks (one had started to latch on and took some skin with him, bastard!)

I am hoping to improve that ratio but we need warmer temps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.