1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts and predictions for 2017

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by shroom god, Nov 8, 2016.

1. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Counting down...from where I'm at, only 223,200 minutes, or 3,720 hours, or about 155 days. Hope springs eternal.

Of course this is based on an average of conventional weather cycles aggregated over many years. However, standing assumptions are increasingly unreliable in the context of climate change and the cycle of extreme events we are in.

But we contend with what may be. More importantly, 40 days ago at this very moment I lost a dear friend and comrade, a young man of the woods--my son-in-law, age 32--who was killed instantly by a deer that leaped from the ditch and came through the windshield. He was on a salmon fishing trip near Ludington, Michigan.

Change is a fundamental law of existential reality. We must each continuously adjust and adapt in rhythm with the change around us, although at times more is required of some than of others. I'll be compelled to make more profound adjustments in the coming year than past ones but am reminded of how precious the moments we have are and must be.

That now said, autumn and winter will bring more change. And though nothing is certain I'm starting to think about and feel the coming of spring and tug of the woods. In a peculiar sort of way the season is always on.

1 person likes this.
  2. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Well we'll we'll! Sounds like music to my ears. Have you wrote something of length so I can read something than our old posts! I enjoy reading your stuff. Sorry about ur son in law. Nobody knows when. It's not to question. Only to live.with that said it's hard coming into life. And it's rougher going out sometimes. Any who I did ponder for a few yesterday that it is only 6 months away!!!!!:) peace to all! Buckthornman

3. shroom god

Thanks, Thorn. As of late I just haven't possessed the spirit essential to embarking on a literary flight of fancy. I've got a few ideas in mind but just haven't committed them to paper yet.

Christmas nears, and I hope you're ready. Do you have traditions? Here, I'll fry up several batches that I froze this spring (although pickin's were slimmer this year). I've got plenty though. My son-in-law used to really enjoy our Christmas brunch with 'shrooms. It will seem strange with him gone. I wonder if any of us will be able to enjoy them in his absence, as he lent a special flavor to any gathering.

My clan's karma sucks. Since that deer burst through the windshield and instantly ended his life in late September, my daughter (his wife) was hit from behind by a tipsy driver causing $8000 damage to my van that she was driving. And my youngest daughter--a great shroomer herself--totaled her car in the fog. Neither was hurt or at fault. And just 10 days ago my wife slipped on ice, tore her quadriceps tendon, underwent surgery, and is largely immobile, on crutches, for several weeks/months.

I'm tired. It's the first day of winter, but spring awaits. I long for the spring and the smell and sounds and sights and every sensory awakening that it entails. 164,000 minutes until they pop, give or take a few.

Have a great Christmas and keep the fires of enthusiasm stoked!

--matt

1 person likes this.
  4. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL !!

5. shroom god

Back at ya, Jack, and I second the motion!

6. shroom god

75 days or so.

Keep on rockin' in the free world.

:cry:

7. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Sorry about your son in law, way too soon. I hope the clans Karma turned its self around. I am starting to get the itch myself, after the tough season last year I am ready with full enthusiasm. Hey bucky nice to see your around. Old Elm and myself would like to hook up with you this season. Well good luck all.

8. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Enthusiast

Shroom god, {Matt} So sorry to hear bout your loss, puts our complaints about everyday issues in perspective, hope your daughter is doing ok, can't imagine how tough it must have been for you and your family, quail season is over here in AZ, so my thoughts have moved on to mushroom time, already planning my trip up your way, Cleaned up my truck and trailer, all packed up and ready to go, i have some stuff to take care of here and can't leave till the 22nd of april, hoping the timing works out, but you never can tell, raining like crazy here, so i guess that bodes well, I'll keep ya'll posted on my progress or lack there of, hang in there, good times are coming. cary, HG

9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

SG, real sorry for your family's loss. I hope you find some peace in the timber this spring. HG, do you pass through MO?

10. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Enthusiast

kb, last year i spent a few days in western Mo, lake osage, big lake, and mound city area, april 12 13 and 14 looked nice, but hot and dry as you what, , found a few, lots of ticks and a few of them scary looking black water snakes, the farther north i headed the better it got, when i got up to the sioux city ia area things were just ok till the 26th of april, then it was over, hoping for better things this year, good pickens to ya'll, HG

11. sci shroomer

sci shroomer Morel Enthusiast

In South Central Iowa, Lake Rathbun to be exact, and its starting to look like an amazing season this year. Plenty of rain, steadily increasing temps, and a whole lot of motivation. I will update as much as possible with results when the season jumps off. Keep your head up SG, gettin in the woods will help more than anything. Mother Nature will take care of you.

Shroomtrooper 1 likes this.
  12. shroom god

The cool, damp environs of the late Pleistocene in what, some twelve thousand-odd years later, would become a place named "Iowa" offered unparalleled bounty for the hunter gatherers who traversed the bogs, rolling hills, forests, and abundant streams of fresh-flowing water. After a terrible winter and the starving of youth, spring had finally arrived. The last snow had melted some time ago and the welcome sun now gave lease to the first hatch of flies. A profusion of exotic flowers--many no longer extant--were in various stages, some in bloom, in which ants and bees found particular delight. And so it was, one cloudless day in that Eden of virtual timelessness, 10,473 before present, that the primal grunting of a distant giant ground sloth alerted the senses of a ragged band of hunters. Seizing upon its peculiar proclamations, they cautiously wove their way through dense thickets that made even their leathery skin bleed. Drawing ever-closer to the sound, they finally espied the sloth, likely one of the last. There, in mid-morning light bathing a gentle southeast slope, the hulking beast grazed lazily upon the herbaceous feast of a youngling elm amid a grove of what had obviously been its ancestors: massive, dead and dying elms whose twisting, white branches reached to the sky as if clinging desperately to existence, and whose bark peeled and curled in long, broad sheets, downward to the ground which was littered with an infinite profusion of smaller limbs and twigs. The forest was in perpetual renewal, always giving sustenance; it was an altogether idyllic moment and scene. Spears readied, the group crouched and moved furtively, prepared to seize upon the massive creature whose claws tore at the young elm, bending it down to savor its fresh, green foliage. Suddenly, the leader raised her arms, stopped in mid-stride, and pointed excitedly to the ground. "WHOA!! WE'VE HIT THE DAMN MOTHER LODE!" she shrieked (in her late Paleo dialect). Now, startled by such a strange multisyllabic sound, the sloth looked quizzically upon the odd creatures nearby as they dropped to their knees and, amid a cacophony of the strangest sounds imaginable, excitedly began to gather the porous, conical shaped fruits from the forest floor. The sloth, realizing its good fortune in an opportunity for escape, beat a slow but certain retreat into the deep recesses of the woods and into its lair in a nearby bog. In this manner, the last giant ground sloth to inhabit the place escaped becoming the hunters' quarry and lived to see another beautiful day in prehistoric Iowa. And morel season had begun.

I have no doubt it will begin again, but without the giant sloth. Hope everyone is ready for the hunt.

1 person likes this.
  13. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

I was kind of rooting for the sloth.

1 person likes this.
  14. shroom god

Yeah, I thought the sloth should live to see another day.

In an alternate, imagined scene, the band of hunters encounters the giant ground sloth as it happily munches away on big yellows. It just so happened that the late-paleo hunters considered the morel sacred, and the ground sloth much less so. So, enraged at the sight of it ravenously devouring morchella esculenta, they charged the poor thing and slayed it.

But that's not a very happy ending, and as the season approaches it's preferable to err on the side of optimism.

15. buckthornman

Hey there is god! Well thank the good heavens. Thought everybody up this way got censored or shut down! Good to here from you sgod. Bucky knows mmmm come early, they will.... mmmm for the time doesn't care mmmm...my yoda....just when I think they won't come earlier than last they do...always a guess but I have a funny feeling in my gut. great to here from you hope time is slowly repairing your family. Time...its always always time...any way just wanted to say thanks for the blue writing and all that jazz! buckthornman. P.s. get ur gauntlets out and hit the thorn hard:)

16. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

Sloth with morels hmmmm.

1 person likes this.
  17. buckthornman

Slugs and sloths never really enjoyed em as food that is...have to try em again..

18. shroom god

Yeah, we're repairing, and it takes time, but as my grandpa said, "Time is all I've got." Gotta love that gritty and resolute, Depression-era thinking. Death can't keep the living down! Good to hear you're rarin' to go and ready to bust the briars. Buckthorn is some wicked weed, but have you ever noticed how the shrooms on the other side of it taste twice as good? I'm ready to pay my dues and bleed for 'em but hope they hold off until about the 20th. BTW--ever hunt 'em by flashlight?

19. shroom god

Well, I'm basing this on my experience in a distant, former life. Things were fairly decent 12000 years ago. We'd come to know the lay of the land and where to move seasonally among local rock shelters. And we'd discovered a hell of a good supply of high-quality Burlington chert and had perfected the Dalton point. Children were a burden on us, but if they didn't starve or die and lived past 10 seasons, they stood a fair chance of living to see 100 seasons! Alas, one never knew, for even an infection from a thorn could end a person's time. In the spring of the year we'd listen for the grunts and groans of the giant ground sloth and follow the sound. I swear, those beasts feasted like hogs on shrooms! Wherever there was a springtime sloth, there were assuredly shrooms. Back then there was nothing better than sloth bacon and shrooms cooked in sloth grease. Taht was some gooooood eatin', my friend. As I think back on it, sometimes it just kinda sucks to be living in 2017. :(

20. shroom god

Hard to believe, but if a person closes their eyes and opens their mind's eyes, it's plain to see: the ground sloth--famed herbivore as it was--must have found morchella deliciosa, esulenta, or crassipes quite amenable to its palette. These large, lumbering beasts, low to the ground, would have been quite physiologically suited to ground foraging (hence, "ground" sloth); as such, they likely scoured the forest floor and open savanna for anything remotely edible. Their enormous size foretells of a ravenous appetite and near-constant quest for herbs, berries, greens, and fungi. They likely possessed a remarkably keen olfactory sense, enabling them to sniff out morels in the manner of a truffle hog. Of course, I'm speculating on all of this, but...I bet they ate shrooms.

It's sure shaping up to be a good season. As long as we don't get some erratic swing in temps and a late-April frost or blizzard. But there's always May! Bring 'em on!