20 YEARS A GROWER

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Mar 3, 2018.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Pink oyster grow on toilet paper rolls. Don't think this one went really well. Got some fruiting off this but contams took over early. TP is hard to control moisture for myc run.
    DSC03442.JPG DSC03443.JPG DSC03559 (1).JPG

2. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Living vicariously thru you, for now, Trahn. Was s'pose to start my logs in 2016 and had my damn accident. This is the year. Steep learning curve and lots of reading to do . . . again! Can't wait to inoculate my logs . . .

1 person likes this.

3. trahn008

@morelsxs never give up brother!!! Hope you are healing well. Any help I could offer just ask. Happy Growing!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  4. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Thanks much, Trahn! I'm never afraid to ask a dumb question! :D

5. judymoon

judymoon Morel Enthusiast

6. trahn008

I also make tinctures! Yes, as good as wild. I grow all my mushrooms organic (NO Chemicals add).

7. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

i
    I have been thinking about trying to grow some kind of mushroom. what kind would be the most simple to do, and which method for outdoors. I have access to tulip poplar logs and can get other types if needed.

8. trahn008

Shiitake plugs. Oak works the best for shiitake.

beagleboy likes this.
  9. beagleboy

Thanks, is there a place you recommend to get shiitake plugs and when is the best time to start them.

10. trahn008

Field and Forest Products the best for shiitake plugs. Try a cold and warm weather strain. Now is the best time to start them if you have oak logs that have been cut already. If you fresh cut logs you will want them to sit inside for a month before plugging. Happy Growing!

PickinFungi and beagleboy like this.
  11. beagleboy

Thanks that really helps. The area that I hunt morels in was timbered in December do you think if I get some of the bigger limbs that they would work. some of them are 6 to 8" in diameter. they left the elm so I hope there will still be morels.

12. trahn008

That would be perfect. Try to mix some small size 3inchers in your patch. You might get a fall flush on the smaller ones this year if you do them soon. Happy Growing!

beagleboy likes this.
  13. beagleboy

I will try to get the logs by next week then it will depend how quick they deliver the plugs.

14. beagleboy

I just saw where the Snyder county conservation district is selling shiitake inoculated logs during their spring tree sale. They said they will have 3 flushes this year 16 days apart.

1 person likes this.
  15. supplyguy1973

supplyguy1973 Morel Connoisseur

Awesome pics. I would love to learn more about growing all kinds of mushrooms

16. farsouthsider

farsouthsider Morel Enthusiast

Cool pics, trahn008!

I'm fascinated by the idea of morels forming sclerotia as they encounter a barrier or run out of nutrients. I wonder if lining the bottom and sides with brick would help a morel bed prosper?

Where my morel bed is, I don't have anything that qualifies as a barrier - they're 2 soil trenches in the backyard, no other features nearby. I planted morel spawn for the first time this year, in the spring. I'm following Tradd Cotter's layered bed technique from Organic Mushroom Farming and Mycoremediation. I put in 2 trenches, one with a little ammonium sulfate for nitrogen supplementation (saw some deer mushrooms appear on that side by the way - perhaps they've consumed the original spawn). I'm hopeful for spring.

I've read that Chinese cultivation methods involve a top application of a perforated spawn bag on top of the prepared bed. After 2 weeks allowing the spawn to grow downward, the spawn is entirely removed - forcing the morel spawn into expanding and fruiting as a survival strategy. I've often wondered if microbial/pest attack on top-laid spawn accomplishes the same thing in Cotter's strategy. Source: https://plantpath.psu.edu/research/news/2017/china-trip-unveils-morel-cultivation-mysteries

Oysters and commonly-cultivated varieties are what I'm actively focused on now. I just birthed 19 blocks and I'm hoping to get out to the local market and sell oysters and a few lion's mane mushrooms for the first time on the 18th of this month. (crosses fingers)

FYI on another topic, I know there was a flurry of some legit spam posting yesterday and 2 threads I posted on were deleted, one a classified ad - but that was later corrected. I believe you mentioned elsewhere that this might be your last day on the site. Yesterday was my first day actually. This morning my posts were reinstated after a message to a quite reasonable admin. Hang in there, and it was nice to have a chance to meet you, either way.

3 people like this.
  17. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Trahn - I liked your idea and also ask if a Growers Thread could be started that stood on equal ranking as other Forums. Then it would have equal standing as any state, under Forums.

Right now they are hard to find because they are hidden within a particular state like your "20 years a grower" being under PA and the "Morel Cultivation" being under OH. Or for that matter, the "dinner Plate" thread for recipes being under OH also.

These are not geographically defined and they would be easier to access and participate in if they stood beyond a single state (in my opinion).

So they are harder for people to find because they roll down and off the list of recent posts if they go a few days with no postings.

Before the currently used software, Jack responded to my similar and previous request by saying the software at that time didn't allow for the creation of a Thread on the Forums level as it was set for just one Forum for each state, with many topic thread under them. Maybe it is different with the newer software nowl.

18. trahn008

Very important, Yes would help with fruiting at those barriers. Wouldn't worry with the bottoms but the side for sure. Happy Growing!!

1 person likes this.
  19. trahn008

SB, I know the forum game very well. Traffic, ad selling, sponsors, traffic control, spam control, money flow for upgrades, ranking major search engines, featured threads at the right time etc. I've done what Jack does and he does have his hands full. I offered my help...so lets get back to TALKIN MUSHROOMS!!

20. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Trahn -- Good idea!!

This was this morning's Chanterelles. (Central OH)

DSC04912.JPG