20 YEARS A GROWER

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Mar 3, 2018.

1. ladybug34

ladybug34 Young Morel

I'm impressed Trahn. I would love to learn how to grow something.

2. PickinFungi

PickinFungi Morel Enthusiast

Bump past the spam.

3. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Trahn do you sell mushrooms or is it a hobby for you? I'm interested in growing oysters.

4. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Pan, just a hobby. Happy Growing!

5. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Trahn008: Thanks for all your sharing on here.

What's the best alternative for getting a jar of Morel mycellium growing on grass seed to carry forward to October?

My intention is to do a "Trad Cotter" style vertically layered trench this Fall/Oct in my back yard to carry forward through winter to next Spring

I originally wanted to have black Morels to try the vertical layered trench this Fall-October. However, I ate my first find (28 perfect blacks) from creek behind the house thinking Id find more. When I did, they were past their prime. Ha!

As luck would have it, I had a tan Morel come up in the back yard, the first since 7 Morels 3 years ago, which were also in the same spot.

DSC00146.JPG

I tried using the boiled grass seed and cutting up the Morel cap into little pieces and adding to two jars with the boiled grass seed.

These pics below are today 5-26, 18 days after harvesting, cutting the tan Morel and seeding the boiled grass seed on 5-8.

DSC00300.JPG
    DSC00298.JPG
    DSC00295.JPG

Again, I want to do the trench in Oct.
    What help can you offer? Freeze? Refrigerate? Do a further grow-out?

I also did a spore print into a jar before cutting up the Morel cap as below.
    DSC00159 cropped.JPG

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  6. PickinFungi

Sorry for the thread hijack. I could not find a generalized growing thread in the PA section.

So I finally got my KIng Strapharia/ wine cap mushroom spawn in and got my bed put together. Layer of clean cardboard. 2-3 inches of soaked oak and poplar saw dust - mostly oak. Sprinkle of spawn . Few inches of straw. Sprinkle of spawn. Layer of straw. Packed down a bit . Good watering. I will water daily for the next couple weeks unless it rains. We'll see what happens in a few months. I will try to update once/if the spawn takes and runs.
    KIMG1896.JPG
    KIMG1898.JPG

7. trahn008

Looks good Pickin, I love the smell and look of King MYC. Thick and rope like threads. Happy Growing!

8. PickinFungi

1 month update. Mycelium is 2-3 inches thick in the whole patch. The pulled back straw is just the surface of the growth.
    KIMG1943.JPG

2 people like this.
  9. trahn008

Pinkin, looks good. Happy Growing!

PickinFungi and (deleted member) like this.
  10. PickinFungi

My first garden giant / wine cap mushrooms! Just past 3 months from patch inoculation.
    KIMG2297.JPG KIMG2296.JPG KIMG2295.JPG

beagleboy likes this.
  11. PickinFungi

beagleboy, Gibz and (deleted member) like this.
  12. PickinFungi

I'm having a great morning! My first shiitake ever!
    KIMG2302.JPG KIMG2301.JPG

Gibz and (deleted member) like this.
  13. trahn008

Pickin, Congrats looking good. Notice how those kings are growing at the edges of your patch... Happy Growing!

beagleboy and PickinFungi like this.
  14. PickinFungi

I see . The low/no nutrient barrier helped with fruiting. Just like with your morels.

1 person likes this.