20 YEARS A GROWER

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Mar 3, 2018.

1. ladybug34

ladybug34 Young Morel

I'm impressed Trahn. I would love to learn how to grow something.

2. PickinFungi

PickinFungi Morel Enthusiast

Bump past the spam.

3. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Trahn do you sell mushrooms or is it a hobby for you? I'm interested in growing oysters.

4. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Pan, just a hobby. Happy Growing!

5. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Trahn008: Thanks for all your sharing on here.

What's the best alternative for getting a jar of Morel mycellium growing on grass seed to carry forward to October?

My intention is to do a "Trad Cotter" style vertically layered trench this Fall/Oct in my back yard to carry forward through winter to next Spring

I originally wanted to have black Morels to try the vertical layered trench this Fall-October. However, I ate my first find (28 perfect blacks) from creek behind the house thinking Id find more. When I did, they were past their prime. Ha!

As luck would have it, I had a tan Morel come up in the back yard, the first since 7 Morels 3 years ago, which were also in the same spot.

DSC00146.JPG

I tried using the boiled grass seed and cutting up the Morel cap into little pieces and adding to two jars with the boiled grass seed.

These pics below are today 5-26, 18 days after harvesting, cutting the tan Morel and seeding the boiled grass seed on 5-8.

DSC00300.JPG
    DSC00298.JPG
    DSC00295.JPG

Again, I want to do the trench in Oct.
    What help can you offer? Freeze? Refrigerate? Do a further grow-out?

I also did a spore print into a jar before cutting up the Morel cap as below.
    DSC00159 cropped.JPG

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  6. PickinFungi

Sorry for the thread hijack. I could not find a generalized growing thread in the PA section.

So I finally got my KIng Strapharia/ wine cap mushroom spawn in and got my bed put together. Layer of clean cardboard. 2-3 inches of soaked oak and poplar saw dust - mostly oak. Sprinkle of spawn . Few inches of straw. Sprinkle of spawn. Layer of straw. Packed down a bit . Good watering. I will water daily for the next couple weeks unless it rains. We'll see what happens in a few months. I will try to update once/if the spawn takes and runs.
    KIMG1896.JPG
    KIMG1898.JPG

7. trahn008

Looks good Pickin, I love the smell and look of King MYC. Thick and rope like threads. Happy Growing!

8. PickinFungi

1 month update. Mycelium is 2-3 inches thick in the whole patch. The pulled back straw is just the surface of the growth.
    KIMG1943.JPG

2 people like this.
  9. trahn008

Pinkin, looks good. Happy Growing!

PickinFungi and (deleted member) like this.