2013 morel finds

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by jerry ludwig, Mar 25, 2013.

1. jerry ludwig

jerry ludwig Morel Enthusiast

A friend of mine and I went north of Russelville in the National Forest and found a total of 44 yellows of two species and a half-free morel. Found some others that were too old but almost all of the 44 were in good shape. This is the latest that either of us have found morels in Arkansas.

2. jerry ludwig

Well it looks like I'm done for this year unless I get up to northern Wisconsin in late May. Got just over 100 morels, quite low for the season.

3. kay0213

kay0213 Morel Enthusiast

HI! I used to live near Ft. Smith and still have friends near Mountainburg. Are these good areas? Russellville is a bit of a haul from there and it takes me 8 hrs or so to get to my friends in MB, don't really want to drive another hour if I can avoid it. I'm preplanning for next year :wink:

4. slim

slim Morel Enthusiast

Hi friends, I hope everyone got out and had good morel hunting. we did alright in NWA. Now that the season is over we can focus on another delicious fungus called the chantrelle..we can find them mid june after a good rain.I recommend we research and get after it. Good Luck..I would like to hear from yall

5. pomoxis64

pomoxis64 Morel Enthusiast

Hey Slim - we can find tons of info on how to find Morels. This was my first year and I found about 150 (ate em all also). Also chicken of the woods and and oyster schrooms. Ate a few puff balls. Now I'm ready for the tough stuff. Chantrelles and Boletes. Can you pass any info that would bring us closer than "walking through the woods looking at the ground"? I really want to zero on chantrelles but I have no clue. I know they're yellow and don't eat the Jack-O- Lanterns. I think I can identify them, chantrelles, but I just have no idea where to look. Oaks, Poplars, Pines, Ash? Any suggestions.

6. slim

slim Morel Enthusiast

In Arkansas, chantrelles can be found in oak-hickory forests. They can be found all summer if the rain cooperates.. and doesnt dry up. Look for yellow and orange funnel shaped shrooms, the gills will be dull and rounded and the edge of cap will be wavy or obtuse. I havent seen any growing in clumps,like the jack-o-lantern, but individually scattered in damp areas..The best way I ID them is their fruity aroma, like oranges or apricots. I found a lot north of Dover in the N.F. below a wet bluff that was dripping water on June 17(my B-day). Found plenty in Lake Wedington area June-August..depending on the rain..I live in Rogers, Ar.

7. jerry ludwig

I've found lots of golden, cinnibar and even black chantrelles in the L. Ouachita area while camping at the lake in June and in the Beyou Meto area in early summer too. I've also found a lot of golden chantrelles in the Greer's Ferry Lake area in June too. I've found that the golden chantrelles without the ridges are much less tasty than those with ridges. A plate with golden, black and cinnibar chantrelles and a tender steak makes a great presentation that doesn't last long. Good hunting.