2013 Morel Finds

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by mbdola, Apr 16, 2013.

1. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Let's try to get everyone posting finds and counties on one thread.

2. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Found 1 black yesterday walking my dog. The soil is very dry we need rain!!!

3. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

North West Harrison County: I found about 70 in 3 hours on Sunday morning. 40 something big blacks high up on the ridges, and some small immature greys in the thickets and near White Oaks of all trees.

The greys were 2-3 days old. I spotted and marked at least 5 times that many shrooms in the woods and I was amazed at how thick they seemed to be. I've got a couple days of waiting and working til I get back out to hopefully find some nice mature shrooms. Cool temps combined with a shot of rain tomorrow should keep them fairly fresh.

I think the greys and yellows will be good to go here thru the next week.

This is shaping up to be a really really good year.

[/url]

[url=http://s546.photobucket.com/user/Banana3243/media/Facebook/Afield/375979_846115033029_732570821_n.jpg.html][img][/url]

[url=http://s546.photobucket.com/user/Banana3243/media/Facebook/Afield/902467_846110841429_582508519_o.jpg.html][img][/url]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  4. ejoseph

ejoseph Young Morel

I found three small greys and about ten half frees on Saturday. Most of my hot spots have yet to produce, but I usually find quite a few yellows when they start coming up. Hoping to get into some in the next few days. Barbour County.

5. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Went for a walk yesterday through a east to west valley. Found 19 egg size greys in 1 of my early yellow spots. :) They just poped up and most are bent over from pushing up through the leaves.Its going to be a great season. I think its the first time ive found greys in that spot...

6. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

PBWV - I had the same experience but I'm finding bigger clusters of greys, and I'm finding huge blacks in places I've never found blacks. It's really crazy. I found a section of a flat that was more or less carpeted with small greys that just popped. It was pretty crazy.

I think the worst part is sitting here at work staying out of the woods until they have a chance to develop.

7. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Your right the hard part is the w8ing. I have never found huge patches but have 12 areas that produce small amounts. So far this year 3 of those spot have more shrooms than the last 3 years combined. Im geting hungry hehe.Going to pick my blacks tomorow and check a few other spots.

8. petey5

petey5 Young Morel

Where is a good place in Fayette co to find em?

9. heresone

heresone Morel Enthusiast

tore up the blondies in Mon County this afternoon...high atop a northeastern facing hill amidst a poplar stand and then again in a somewhat swampy bottom...... good day....

10. brian

brian Morel Enthusiast

found 25 blondes yesterday ( Kanawha Co.) WV...same area i found blacks two weeks ago, but lower on the hill, thats approx. 100 in three trips....we only measured 2.0" of rain for the month of April...really surprised ive found that many..its getting dry up on top.. going out today to a location, thats private property.( with permission of course). havent been there since 2009, and found 500 that weekend...hope its loaded this yr too!..with drying conditions, our season may be coming to its end...better get looking ALL.