2014 Morel Season

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by morel mulisha, Apr 25, 2014.

1. morel mulisha

morel mulisha Morel Enthusiast

Now you don't have to click through 13 pages to get to the most recent post. Start you 2014 conversations here. Keep it Morel's only please.

2. morel mulisha

Looking at the forecast and judging by the current ground temps around the state, looks like the metro area is still about 2 weeks out but we are getting close. <span style="font-size: large"> </span><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> </span><span style="color: blue"> </span>

3. tickcollector

tickcollector Morel Enthusiast

I agree with that timeline. Very close, but not quite. I found my first baby on May 16th last year, and started picking the following week. I'll start looking in my early spots next weekend depending on the condition over the next 7 days. Keep it moral and fun everyone. Watch for deer ticks and good luck to all!

4. tickcollector

tickcollector Morel Enthusiast

I don't like my avatar :( The picture only depicts the way I feel about my avatar... and poison ivy.

5. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Should be close in southern Mn. Getting 70s today. Lucky buggers.

6. buckthornman

Jst out of curiousity where did the 50-55 degree ground temps stem from? anyone?

7. buckthornman

Sounds like central Iowa is gonna be hittin. Hope they post some pics.

8. morel mulisha

I heard about the ground temp from some old time Morel hunters. We're talking guys that have been picking Morels since the 70's. I don't like my AVI either. I don't even wear glasses. Check out this website, this is what I use to track the ground temps... http://gis.mda.state.mn.us/csgsoil/

9. buckthornman

Thanks MM! Think the crop will be small if it stays cold? There will be many but small? Lilacs have buds but still a ways to go! That philosphy has been accurate in the past. Last year was the 18th of may. Maybe by mothers day if it warms up! Moisture shouldn't be a problem looking at the forecast for the week. Wish i was in indy or kansas. O well the will come the always do. Patience. The anticipation is a good thing. Reminds me of waiting for x-mas as a child...Good memories.

10. buckthornman

Has anyone found that greys dehydrate the best? seems like blacks and blondes don't hold up. get blk?

11. stcroix rob

stcroix rob Morel Connoisseur

Morel Mulisha; Started picken in the 60's not sure about bein an old timer.... Anyhow that was way before the internet,and gov. agencies tellin us the soil temp. we'd learned from the folks to tune into the signs around us in the woods. Here's one of the first bloomers, usually about 3 weeks from then,but the fun part is ya never know for sure.Ya got toget out lot's &amp; then some more tp find em. :p [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  12. stcroix rob

Pay attention, when these guys arrive the picken is in full swing. [​IMG]

13. morel mulisha

OleElm... Learn something new every year. Thanks for sharing the wisdom! It's much appreciated. Look forward to sharing a successful season with you guys!

14. brenson

brenson Morel Enthusiast

Was out yesterday not anything going in the nw mn only good thing is one of my spots got burned off should be awsome when the weather warms up

15. stcroix rob

April Showers bring - "MORELS" We're getting the perfect set up, it'll come on fast once there are a couple warm nights in a row.... Yeah!

16. stcroix rob

These guys will be right behind the morels / maybe even the same time this year! Good luck to all who venture out. [​IMG]

17. crazymushroomguy

crazymushroomguy Morel Enthusiast

thanks for the tips Old Elm, always nice to hear some information that doesn't revolve around todays technology.

That said, anyone else a little down over this weeks forecast? Highs in the 40s, lows in the 30s...at least the rain is working in our favor!

18. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Iam very depressed about the forecast, I have been waiting too long. I haven't been able to scout much even tho I have enough spots I always like new places. Hurry up warm weather.

19. iland99

iland99 Morel Enthusiast

All this rain is bad for morale, good for morels!

20. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

to cheer myself up I re hydrated some morels in red Chianti wine dug up some leeks and seared a roast and added morels, leeks, heavy cream, more red wine beef broth salt pepper and garlic. I feel much better now.