2016 - Chickn\'s,Chant\'s, & other stuff

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by stcroix rob, May 22, 2016.

1. stcroix rob

stcroix rob Morel Connoisseur

Ok, so moving forward from a good morel season, what else are we gonna find in our fine state of Wisconie??

Chickens should be up pretty soon, and I already scored on some early sweet Oysters.

][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Wow nice patch of oysters bud.

3. shroomtrooper

Whats that below it, seems I have seen something like that a long time ago :-?

4. stcroix rob

There are " CHICKENS" out, This is how we like to prepare/cook them.

]//i.imgur.com/Am4GPqR.jpg[/url][/img][/url]

5. shroomtrooper

nice OE, went yesterday nothing up.

6. stcroix rob

]//i.imgur.com/pzI041E.jpg[/img] ]//i.imgur.com/bEsxcyv.jpg[/img]

7. chelios

chelios Morel Enthusiast

Hey guys,
    I checked some prime chicken spots in Northeast Wisconsin, but nothing yet. Found thousands of oysters, but all buggy, and most too high up the trees. They were growing on poplar, so I presume they are the Pleurotus populinus variety. Anyway, been getting tons of rain (where was the rain the last 10 days of morel season?) so I will be checking chicken spots periodically, and if we we don't go into another drought, the chanterelles will be arriving slightly ahead of schedule, and in droves, I predict. Old Elm, I'm jealous of your chicken, lol.

8. stcroix rob

" Chelios " It is setting up really nice for Chant's, and I hope yr correct abt them showing up early.
    This big O'le Gal already laid her egg's which is early too. She & I go way,way back,and I'm always happy to see she made it another year. Did Ya know the Males almost NEVER leave the water.

]//i.imgur.com/wMdUfnJ.jpg[/img]

9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Nice Snapper! when i was a kid we had an apple orchard next to a stream. We would toss the apples in the water and the snappers would come up and eat them. How long do they live?

10. stcroix rob

Well I'm no expert but this O'le gal gotta be 30ish +.

11. gold diggers

gold diggers Morel Connoisseur

I think you got her aged a little young,OldElm. If that is an alligator snapper, and it looks like it is, a snapper that size goes around 60+ years. Nice lookin gal. And I am not saying "old gal" either. How many pounds are you holding onto there? We have the smaller common snappers in our farm pond here in Wisconsin.

12. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Count her scales Oldelm? Usually is a good indicator. She smells all the way over here in mn!:) that turtle is tougher than you and I put together!! Good to hear some People are getting into some other mushrooms! Lot of oysters and chickys here.

13. buckthornman

By the way elm yuuummmyyy!yuuummmyyy! I don't have the heart to take em anymore! Something! They are a symbol of mother earth eh. Later Bucky out!

14. stcroix rob

]//i.imgur.com/tiHdDXL.jpg[/img]

15. chelios

chelios Morel Enthusiast

Oh man Old Elm, you lucky dog! I can't find any chicken yet, and I've checked some prime oak forest. I will probably find chanterelles before I find a chicken, lol. Nice score!

16. stcroix rob

" Chelios " I'm thinkin yer up north of us a ways. We're west/central. Chickens aren't our favorities, but a few feeds are always good until the Chant's ,Hedgehogs, ect start showing up. We always do an annual two week camping trip up to Cornicopia the last two weeks of August for Chants & fresh lake trout! Can't beat that combo over an open fire.

17. buckthornman

Sounds like a greatest hit! Elm. Thanks elm for taking all them nice pictures!!! Life is good when ur a mushroom:)

18. stcroix rob

' " Buckthornman" Since we al have to surrender and admit you are the undisputed king of " Minnesota's Black Morels", I was wondering if you do very well on the Black Trumpits ? They seem to elude me every year,but that maybe cause I get pretty focused ( Tunnel vision) on just a few favorites. Anyhow all the best to you. SHROOMTROOPER and I will be hitiing the CHANTS & HedgeHogs in a couple weeks.......

19. shroomtrooper

Cant wait OldElm, I also never found a black trumpet, well maybe but it was moldy.

20. chelios

chelios Morel Enthusiast

Hey Old Elm,
    I'm over by Appleton. If you're west central, then we're probably at about the same latitude, however, I got Lake Winnebago, Lake Michigan, and Green Bay making for interesting weather. I did finally find a nice Cincinnatus yesterday. Also, have a place for chanterelles that is kind of a micro climate, and with all the rain we are getting, it may be a great season. Last year at one of my chant spots, I found like 15 mushrooms. It was very dry at the entire spot. Got some late rain, but too late. The year before, thousands. Literally, seas of yellow. I'm hoping for that kind of year, lol. Honestly, I would be happy with just a good season, but minus the fungus gnats. Eh, have a good day, gotta go work.