Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2016 - Chickn\'s,Chant\'s, & other stuff

9K views 75 replies 16 participants last post by  sbg1973 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, so moving forward from a good morel season, what else are we gonna find in our fine state of Wisconie??

Chickens should be up pretty soon, and I already scored on some early sweet Oysters.

]

#7 ·
Hey guys,
I checked some prime chicken spots in Northeast Wisconsin, but nothing yet. Found thousands of oysters, but all buggy, and most too high up the trees. They were growing on poplar, so I presume they are the Pleurotus populinus variety. Anyway, been getting tons of rain (where was the rain the last 10 days of morel season?) so I will be checking chicken spots periodically, and if we we don't go into another drought, the chanterelles will be arriving slightly ahead of schedule, and in droves, I predict. Old Elm, I'm jealous of your chicken, lol.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
" Chelios " It is setting up really nice for Chant's, and I hope yr correct abt them showing up early.
This big O'le Gal already laid her egg's which is early too. She & I go way,way back,and I'm always happy to see she made it another year. Did Ya know the Males almost NEVER leave the water.

]//i.imgur.com/wMdUfnJ.jpg[/img]

#11 ·
I think you got her aged a little young,OldElm. If that is an alligator snapper, and it looks like it is, a snapper that size goes around 60+ years. Nice lookin gal. And I am not saying "old gal" either. How many pounds are you holding onto there? We have the smaller common snappers in our farm pond here in Wisconsin.

#16 ·
" Chelios " I'm thinkin yer up north of us a ways. We're west/central. Chickens aren't our favorities, but a few feeds are always good until the Chant's ,Hedgehogs, ect start showing up. We always do an annual two week camping trip up to Cornicopia the last two weeks of August for Chants & fresh lake trout! Can't beat that combo over an open fire.

#18 ·
' " Buckthornman" Since we al have to surrender and admit you are the undisputed king of " Minnesota's Black Morels", I was wondering if you do very well on the Black Trumpits ? They seem to elude me every year,but that maybe cause I get pretty focused ( Tunnel vision) on just a few favorites. Anyhow all the best to you. SHROOMTROOPER and I will be hitiing the CHANTS & HedgeHogs in a couple weeks.......

#20 ·
Hey Old Elm,
I'm over by Appleton. If you're west central, then we're probably at about the same latitude, however, I got Lake Winnebago, Lake Michigan, and Green Bay making for interesting weather. I did finally find a nice Cincinnatus yesterday. Also, have a place for chanterelles that is kind of a micro climate, and with all the rain we are getting, it may be a great season. Last year at one of my chant spots, I found like 15 mushrooms. It was very dry at the entire spot. Got some late rain, but too late. The year before, thousands. Literally, seas of yellow. I'm hoping for that kind of year, lol. Honestly, I would be happy with just a good season, but minus the fungus gnats. Eh, have a good day, gotta go work.

#21 ·
OE,
Regarding trumpets, yes I have done well, but it was just 2 locations where I found them growing. They were growing very abundantly in one location, strangely, they grow by a multi-trunk sugar maple. Also, the trumpets were growing in September at that spot, during Cinnabar season, where I have found TONS of Cinnabars for the last 2 years. The other trumpet spot, they grow pretty good, but by beech trees like they normally like.

Whoa, storms coming, maybe no work today, lol. Have a good one!

#25 ·
OE
I have one plant indicator I use for chanterelles. Staghorn sumac: when the berries on staghorn sumac are half ripe, the chanterelles are usually up. Just thought I would divulge that info. Also, when the berries ripen, and are fresh and not washed by rain, they make a delicious pink lemonade by soaking the drupes then straining out the debris. Hi in vitamin C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.