Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts
OE,
Regarding trumpets, yes I have done well, but it was just 2 locations where I found them growing. They were growing very abundantly in one location, strangely, they grow by a multi-trunk sugar maple. Also, the trumpets were growing in September at that spot, during Cinnabar season, where I have found TONS of Cinnabars for the last 2 years. The other trumpet spot, they grow pretty good, but by beech trees like they normally like.

Whoa, storms coming, maybe no work today, lol. Have a good one!

OE
I have one plant indicator I use for chanterelles. Staghorn sumac: when the berries on staghorn sumac are half ripe, the chanterelles are usually up. Just thought I would divulge that info. Also, when the berries ripen, and are fresh and not washed by rain, they make a delicious pink lemonade by soaking the drupes then straining out the debris. Hi in vitamin C.

- Chelios - THX'z for the tip on the sumac, it's always fun to hear of others pointers, and what works for them.

-halfbreed63- What a great idea pickling the chickens!! We're only good for a couple feed's on em & then we're sick of em for another year. would ya mind posting the receipt if it's not a family secret?

The Chickens are definitely out, & sad to say the bugs are into them too!!

]//i.imgur.com/DI4zIeR.jpg[/img]

OE,
Hey man. Yup. I had a feeling the chants would be starting early. Found about 3 dozen buttons and pins in about 10 minutes. Now, the heat and wind could mess it up. The ground moisture is good, but the weather we're having is not conducive to having these little buggers stay fresh and not dry out. I would say a good rain no later than Thursday is going to be a blessing. Judging by the amount I found today in such a short time, there are probably a bunch of pins already started, but if we don't get more rain this week, the mycelium might abort a lot of them and redirect water to a few for the best chance to spore. Keep your fingers crossed for rain, and we should have a good season!

Picked a few chants in dane and rock county. Also a few in green county. Pretty dry down there. Got a chicken in vilas county but it was sulphur shelf not cincin...not as good IMO.Going out today in the northwoods...

Got a soaker of a rainstorm early Sunday. That should be the savior the chanterelles needed. Checked on them Friday and they were starting to dry out. Another few days and they should be worth picking.

" Chelios " good to hear yr getting out & got a good rain. Pretty dry around here, but they're comin along just fine. Haven't spotted any Hedge Hogs or Old Men, yet, and darn few chickens. Still early.

]//i.imgur.com/cEgR6gx.jpg[/img] ]//i.imgur.com/7f7SFnZ.jpg[/img]

21 - 40 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.