Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Timmy you in the North AL Mushroom society page on Facebook? If so, I just tried to add you. Wanted to ask you about your hunting schedule this weekend. I'm planning a trip with 8 people in 2 weeks, so I want to make sure we don't accidentally steal your spot or vice versa.

· Registered
62 Posts
Thank God. I planned an excursion based around the March 15 corp. tax deadline (tax accountant), and it looks like mushrooms should pop in the target area this weekend, but we're not going till next weekend, so I didn't want to get scooped. They should be nice and fat by then. I'll post pictures and the location after our trip (assuming we don't skunk lol).

· Registered
62 Posts
Went out this morning to the places in Madison I found some last year, trillium barely up, redbuds in bloom (Eastern slopes). Will be travelling 40 minutes south on Saturday or Sunday to see what I can find on some south slopes.

· Registered
62 Posts
I think after the rain today and 82 degrees we're getting tomorrow, they should be up everywhere non elevated by no later than Thursday. It will rain again this weekend, so if you want to wait for some size, Sunday should be prime.

· Registered
62 Posts
I was out last week right before and after the cold snap, trillium was just starting to open, and maypops are still coming up. I think Saturday late afternoon will be the start of the north AL season, lasting for at least the next 2 weeks based on the forecast. I'd say the best time to go would be Sunday the 2nd, and the week after.

Someone reported finding tons in Rogersville over the past decade, so maybe try your luck around there. I'm getting out into a cleared woodlot with alkaline soils on Saturday, I'll report back if I find some.

· Registered
62 Posts
Last year I found all of mine after March 27th (HSV area), and soil temps are still in the ideal range according to: dtninfo.alfafarmers.org/index.cfm?show=1&mapID=20 I think it's been the dry wind we've been having. If I skunk again week after next, I'll consider it a lost season, but the trillium and may apples are telling me to be patient.

· Registered
62 Posts
Time of day doesn't matter, 24-48 hours after rain is supposedly best. I'd find some woods to the south to hit first. I checked a lowland area today, trillium barely about to bloom, devils urns still out in force in HSV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.