Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
I was out last week right before and after the cold snap, trillium was just starting to open, and maypops are still coming up. I think Saturday late afternoon will be the start of the north AL season, lasting for at least the next 2 weeks based on the forecast. I'd say the best time to go would be Sunday the 2nd, and the week after.

Someone reported finding tons in Rogersville over the past decade, so maybe try your luck around there. I'm getting out into a cleared woodlot with alkaline soils on Saturday, I'll report back if I find some.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
From 19th thru today(24th). Bham metro. I have found 7 morels, all esculentas. 3 sm greys, 1 sm yellow. 2 med yellows and 1 med grey. Meds were appx 3 inch caps. They are slow in coming. Im concerned about how good or poor this season will be. The next 5 -10 days will tell the story

· Registered
32 Posts
Hello Cornfed, I'm really trying to make a lil trip with my kid to Tennessee to hunt sponges, I am not sure this year is the best year though... how is the season there so far?
I am still out looking everyday, everything short of crawling thru the woods with a magnifying glass, but still not found any, even where I did see some last year... I will keep looking til the briars make it impossible lol.

· Registered
33 Posts
Hey Rose, well so far they're not up here where i am at. They usually pop up on the first of April. It's been dry here and kinda cool so that may be the problem. I am lucky enough to have a patch right in my back forest, so i don't have to really search too much. They come up in almost the exact same spots as years previous. I would wait another week if i was you, because even if you did find them right now, there really too small to pick. I'm watering my spot as we speak as a matter of fact. So i know there will be enough moister, now if the temp can come up a little bit it should be a great season for me here on this property. Most people don't have the option to water their patches so i know i'm lucky. And since it is on private property (my property), i don't have to pick them when i find them or worry about someone else finding them. But Rose from what i hear, they are coming up in your area. You might want to do some searching on the net to see where they are being found. And i really hope you find some because you seem so diligent about it, just keep crawling my friend lol. Happy hunting!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.