Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Found less than 10% of what we normally find around Bham. A lot of the deep south is having off year. Not sure if it was feb/march weather or the sporadic december weather where we bounced below then above 53 degree soil on consecutive intervals at least 3 times. I ll be checking for morels a few more times, but im afraid its over for central alabama

· Registered
62 Posts
Last year I found all of mine after March 27th (HSV area), and soil temps are still in the ideal range according to: dtninfo.alfafarmers.org/index.cfm?show=1&mapID=20 I think it's been the dry wind we've been having. If I skunk again week after next, I'll consider it a lost season, but the trillium and may apples are telling me to be patient.

· Registered
33 Posts
Still nothing here in southern middle Tennessee. The night temps are friggin' cold and the next two nights are to be in the low thirties. I wish it would just warm up so my precious little babies will come home to the frying pan :)

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi I live in scottsboro al an i was woundering if this weekend would be a good time to go. I go at night. Its supposed to thunderstorms wenday an then the rest of the day are like high 60s at day low 30s at night and night is when I go. I know my baby mmj plants doing gouda cheese. Wish me luck on that. I planted a little late on those tho. I'm trying my best to speed up the growth but not to fast. Any hints on that? I been craving shrooms tho.

· Registered
62 Posts
Time of day doesn't matter, 24-48 hours after rain is supposedly best. I'd find some woods to the south to hit first. I checked a lowland area today, trillium barely about to bloom, devils urns still out in force in HSV.

· Registered
32 Posts
Chonas, I have been seeing those devils urns too... I hate narcolepsy and not being able to drive, I'd so drive to Tennessee or Kentucky and find some too!!! I hope it's not a bust of a year for us! Sorry, back to the urns, I never knew they could indicate a time line for morels, how so chonas?

· Registered
4 Posts
An is there any people the sell the edible tasty mushrooms I can buy? My main dude is to old to go hunt anymore. He is a old hippie so he's like to old to hunt. I'm trying to find a new person to buy some tasty mushrooms from. Me an my friends need some. We done acid but that's to much for me to handle. To intense an I'm more of a organic person. If it grows from the ground I'll try it lol.

· Registered
67 Posts
Hi everyone! If you're just getting started and need help finding your first morels, check out this super informative video on getting started. This is my passion and hope to help others discover their passion for mushrooms as well!!! Good luck! Here is the link to my video: http://youtu.be/ismIK7GhmP8

· Registered
32 Posts
I feel there is something wrong with the mushrooms this year, I did finally find one on Thursday, April 7th, and it was brand new, fresh... however, been out there looking like my life depends on it, and just the one small - grey - morel. Is anyone finding flushes of them this year? Anyone else finding there not growing where they were in year past or two years past? If I wanted to take my kid on a camping trip and finding morels, in Tennessee, close to the Alabama line, when would be best for big yellows? Thanks. Be safe and God bless all.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.