Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would make a new post for this year since there wasn't one yet. How's everyone doing so far? I am searching around Blacksburg/Montgomery Co. and haven't found any yet. Shouldn't be much longer now though....

Have you found any in Virginia yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I went looking today in Rockbridge Co. didn't find any. I have a buddy who found one last week, and heard of one or two others, but scarce. I think it's still too early, and cool for this area. We're hoping we'll see some in a couple of weeks, or after it warms up from the cold snap this week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yea. Looked a bit in Rappahannock County 2 days ago. Still nothing. I figure about another week or so if it warms up a little and we get some rain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found my first morel the evening of the 5th of April, out here by Dugspur. This cold weather will slow down fruiting (24 here this a.m.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still nothing for me in Montgomery Co. I do know of some folks that found a handful around Bburg last week and some more finds further down in SWVA. Going to be COLD this weekend though (high of 40 degrees). I'm thinking after this cold snap, maybe things will start getting good in the next week or two. Been getting some rain, now we just need things to get warmer. Best of luck to you guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recently returned to Nova after many years out west. Lots of foraging experience but never in Nova. I'm located in Prince William county. Where are some places to forage? I understand people not wanting to give up secret spots. I'm just curious if there's any places close that I can explore. I'm pretty close to Prince William forest, has any one had luck there? Maybe places in Manassas? I just have no clue where to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have found nothing yet in the snp and areas near c - vile. Am hoping to find these while out turkey hunting later this week after the next rain. in the PW county... I would go to the fountain head regional park, there's plenty of trails and mountian-like terrain. It's down 123 just over the Fairfax and pw border. Have never looked there but I would guess they're out on the slopes with morning sun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What areas are you guys targeting that are looking In the mountains and trails in the snp? I have read a lot of mixed thoughts.. Near poplar and elm? The park is filled with poplar after it was logged.. Also near damaged or recently downed trees ? Near logging sites? Near the rivers, or creeks? I have foraged most wild mushrooms out there but never looked for these yet. I'm not looking for some ones fav. Trail... Just some thought on where to wonder about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have no idea. I've lived in Oregon for years and the mushrooms are bountiful and there are many varieties. This will be my first time foraging in Virginia. I'll check out Fountain Head possibly this coming up weekend, and let you know if I find any. I was thinking the old battlefields in Manassas or possibly south towards Fredericksburg. Again I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Started looking when the temp was in the 80's, nothing. Heard of a few blacks found, but still looks like a few more weeks away around Franklin and Adams County.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Manassas battlefield is heavily used. There are lots of pine and horse trails. At least the few areas I scouted in the winter. South, Fredericksburg I lived for years and most the places are private land. I don't know of much park land out that way. Unless you can get on base. I may be wrong, worked many hours there and didn't have time to have hobbies like this. I did live in Fairfax station for a while (did not hunt fungus then) and I would go there if I were you and not looking to drive out to, say the gw forest about 4 hours or so away. It's nice mature woods of mixed hard woods.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cool ,thanks for the heads up. I definitely don't want to drive 4 hours and come up empty handed. I'll definitely check out Fountain Head. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I live in Botetourt county so far I've found around 30 in the same place. But it's the only place I know. Pretty good size bout 3 to 4 inches

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two frostbitten "yellows" in Montgomery Co on Sunday the 10th...but hoping there is new fruiting since the deep freeze...will try to hunt after work today

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to hear Becky. I live right outside of Bburg. I looked around some last night and saw a few plants that suffered from the hard frost over the weekend; still no morels. The may apples were just barely poking through the soil, so it won't be long now. I saw several 4-6 in tall may apples in Giles co. on Sunday too. Usually when they are up, the morels are up. I'll be sure to post again once I start finding them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there! I'm new to this hobby and am just trying to get into it. I live in Prince William County too, and will be on the lookout. I am a military spouse, and live on base, so hopefully I can find some here too.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts