2016 Season was great Im calling it quits.

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by almightymorel, May 20, 2016.

1. almightymorel

almightymorel Morel Enthusiast

I wanna thank all you shroomers for the tips. Got lucky around mothers day which made up the for all the miles I walked finding none. You guys are great makes me miss shrooming already I hope this season doesn't discourage you for next year cuz I promise next year is gonna be even better! Durango was amazing so many dead elms I looked after day and day And it finally paid off but Thank you all now it's time to get back to work and spend time with family Well u guys are my family too!

2. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Almightymorel glad you did well, persistence is key, love new family members. As long as they dont pick my spots, actually, if you picked my spots this year, I would buy you a drink.

3. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

I'll second ST's post. We are all family, and you deserved everything you got (or in my case, didn't get!). You enthusiasm mirrors mine, AM. Already counting down to next season. We have plenty of time to develop our game plans.

Peace out and rock ON.

4. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

You brothers all seam so depressed. this is not the end but just the beginning. I would encourage you to study up on all of the beautiful shrooms that are available throughout the year. Then the joy of getting out there never ends. I'm an old Indiana kid that loves reading the Midwest posts. Take Care.

5. almightymorel

Shroomtrooper haha I could never do that to u but I will take the beer offer lol. U wanna know whats crazy everytime I had a couple drinks before I went shrooming I had the best luck weird but true. Sg yes it took a lot of patience and walking but trust me it's worth it and next year is gonna be raining morels mark my word Just wish u had better luck. CWlake the only thing I'm depressed about is the season ending and Did u have any luck in Indiana?

6. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

I'm thinking this might be a year to hunt chanterelles. Anyone done that?

7. shroomtrooper

I have not, well kind of. Thought I found some but was not positive on the false gills they have, refer to #1 rule, when in doubt throw it out. When I hooked up with oldElm he said he would take me this year, so I will finally know how to ID chanterelles. He says he likes them more than Morels and the seasons longer. Can get pretty nasty with heat and bugs I imagine. Well, I am looking forward to some crown tip coral mushrooms, should be here anytime soon.

8. almightymorel

I never have, I heard about them but they look really easy to find. When do they come out?

9. almightymorel

Are they like morels by certain trees and anybody know what they taste like.

10. shroomtrooper

I have read they can come up as early as late June I read on this forum, Depends where you are what trees, white oak, Fir, hemlock, white pine I have read, also around mossy areas, not in moss but around it. But this is what I have read, no experience so ask someone that hunts in the area you will be looking would be ideal. Good luck AM

11. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

I think its time to come in from the thorn. probably have lymes by now. Mamma said I lost about 10/15lbs. So maybe just 1 more look. Having a hard time letting go this year. There has been years where I have just started today. Maybe that's why all the anxiety. Wasn't the mothrload but should go down as a good year. Comment on chantrelles I pick em but the don't grow in clusters. And there gills y out by the cap. The do have look alikes so... and they do have a apricot smell. Mixed hardwood forests with contours. I find them early july late june as strooper said. And I turn in to bugthornman...lol. bbzzzzzzz.bbzzz.swat swat. You'll know when you go.bucky out ...

12. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Packing up the morel gear i guess. Picked my first in the Mo. bluffs of the Big Muddy on 3/27, second time in 5 years that the first has been in March around st. joe. Ended up picking my last on 5/22 in Minn. a real roller coaster of a season. I want to thank all who posted on any of these boards, your information is invaluable to me. also thanks to the travelers out there who don't post but were nice enough to give me a call and share a tip or two.

13. lynny

lynny Young Morel

So can anyone tell me anything bout SW Wi? I was thinking bout going today?

14. almightymorel

Lynny in iowa I think they are pretty much done but u never know until you look and even if you don't find none it's great to be out in nature It's all about the weather and it's way too hot in my area :roll:

15. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

Almighty, We done pretty well in northern In. this year. The first 3 weeks of may was perfect weather. cool and wet, I don't get out as much as I use to but still found some monsters. The chanterelles start in late June. Find them around oak mainly, sometimes shagbark hickory. They are easy to spot with the bright yellow caps. They grow gregariously from the ground. Meaning they are somewhat spread out but in troops. very similar to morels. The only lookalike that is poisonous is the jack-o-lantern which only grow in clumps and are very orange and a lot bigger. The taste of the chanterelle is much different than most mushrooms. it is very mild and delicious. I like to put them in a cream sauce and pour over poultry, pork or fish. Every morel hunter should give it a try. Just make sure you have some good repellent for the bugs!

16. almightymorel

Thank you for the tips CWlake I'm defiantly gonna try and find some.