2016 Seasons Tips

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by almightymorel, May 2, 2016.

1. almightymorel

almightymorel Morel Enthusiast

Hey I'm From Dubuque Iowa Lots of woods around here last year had quite a bit of luck But this season's different only found 10 . If anybody could give me some tips I would appreciate I'm finding great areas with orange mushrooms pheasant back devils urn etc JUST NO MORELS PLEASE HELP

2. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

You're right in the mix of it Almighty One. It's a poor season. 99 to 1, you aren't going to find a whole lot out there. Based on my traipsing this year couple with nearly 50 years of shrooming-as-religion, If you can score 50 you're achieving pretty big things this year.

Walk, walk, walk, and pay your dues. Put in your time until you bleed and hurt, Feel the pain. Only then may you possibly enter the pantheon of the shroom gods. But 10 doesn't cut it. 10? Dubuque County? I expect 50, minimum. Get busy.
    :roll:

3. almightymorel

Thank you man gave me motivation and I have walked hours through sticker bushes tree after tree nothing And I'm going to this week you can bet on that I have been looking since April 20 and Yes people say why u love morels so much To me it's just not eating them but the hunt for them makes it that much more special

4. shroom god

Scenario 2.

So...you're in this private timber that's been "iffy" in terms of permission over years past. Hi and miss, depending on the mood. The old guy who owns it relies on neighbors to watch it. You've had enough of that game....and sneak in.

You park your vehicle a good distance away so as not to be too conspicuous. It looks like an abandoned Jeep sitting randomly aside a dirt road. You sneak back, fill a half a bag, then scurry back to the edge. On your way out you encounter the sheddings of a HUGE buck...massive...albeit gnawed and chewed by squirrels. You take them and head to the lazy sun in the west. Nature is lazy.

Despite Level B roads and a recently closed bridge (first spanned the river in 1883), you hear a vehicle. You hide... You peer through the trees at the tier's edge...a gray Dodge pickup idles down the way--and stops. You place your mushrooms and the deer shed inside the cavity of the tree you're hiding behind. Your heart races...you hope you can remain in hiding when this person gets out. ..and a minute passes.

The truck moves...you haul ass! Running like an Olympic sprinter you reach the Jeep, throw your shit in the back, start-up and haul some ass down the road. You pass the silver pickup slowly idling up the lane as you race east. You floor it.

Rule 1 of close call and escape in unfriendly territory: HAUL ASS as fast as you can.

There's no rule 2, unless you get caught. Anyone in that situation, please enlighten.

5. shroom god

You are totally in the zone, Almighty one. As you put it so well, it's the hunt. The pursuit of these beasts is the end-all. You probably love the way they taste but it's the HUNT that really moves you. Right?

You'll find more, it's just a god-awful bad season. Worst I've seen in memory, and I've been doing this--seriously--since 1970. Incidentally, I grew up south of Cascade, just on the south side of the big Maquoketa River. Was up there visiting in-laws about 10 days ago and found about 50 at Buzzard Ridge just east of Canton on the Jones/Jackson line. Not many elms in there--sadly. Private ground is 10X better.

6. papa smurf

papa smurf Morel Enthusiast

I've heard great things coming out of the Savanna , Sabula , and Hanover areas .

Just east of there had a Friend of mine find 2 1/2 lbs in under an hr .

Try slopes / ditches / old railroad tracks / river or creak edges / bike paths etc etc .

You'd be surprised what you will find .

Don't give up just yet . I'd say we have this weekend and next still . I went out earlier tonight and just started finding fist sized yellows so I'd say this weekend for sure .

So get out there ...

Oh.. BTW .. I'm in southern Whiteside county in Illinois . Good luck all!!

7. shroom god

Smurf you are in shroom heaven. Are you near Fulton? Or by those Indian mounds south of there?

Good god almighty, they sell them at the Clinton/Fulton bridge over there for $10 a pound! I hunted your area about 5 years ago with a Whiteside Co. friend who learned the ropes from me. Watch out...she's dangerous good!

8. almightymorel

Thanks for the info surf I'm trying everything this year I hope u get bags full in Illinois a
    I know a couple good spots in galena

9. savagedpicker

savagedpicker Young Morel

Ahoy fellow mushroomers! I have been on this site each year for a number of years now, Though untill just 5 mins ago i've never had an account. The reason is simple Am not a big fan of saying hey i am finding a bunch at this spot or every where in any given year as it is first come, first serve, and i stickly hunt public land, But i digress; This is my 11th year hunting and have 8 years of notes. Why i will agree that this year has been extremely different i wouldnt write it off so soon.

This year i found my first on the 17th, by the 20th i had 1.5lbs, worried it was going to hot than to dry, and lately it was hoping we didnt get to much rain. I don't mean to be rude to anyone when i say this but if you go out and hunt and find only 5 or less your doing something totally wrong. I would advise you to do research on several different things but i will try to give a brief over view: Please note i am only doing this because this season is only half way over in central-ish iowa we have a good 2 wks to go.

First you want to look for elms i know every one says this but it is important. You wand freshly dead elms or elms in the process of dieing. Furthermore i recently read a very good arcticle that was linked on a post in iowa a few days back that was use full to me and i always seem to have good luck on the the elms that have bark falling off the tops of the branches. That appears to be the beginning of the death of the elm.

Second morels grow in rings as in a circle..... So find one, than the second and see which way and how big the circle is , futhermore you will want to go down hill to the lowest point within 50ft of the elm, since and many of you may not well know they need large amounts of water thus their root systems are where its the wettest.

It seems to me their are two types of hunters to me:i dont think one is specifcally better than the other but their are 1 the tree people who go only for trees and look around the elms, 2 the people who wander looking down. i started hunting by just looking down. but when i would find morels i would notice the trees, thats why i can say all this with confidence.

So with all this being said i would recommend to find a look, take a seat and just look for the elms. Than aim towards the first tree and keep your eyes peeled to the ground ( dont walk into downed trees not fun :) ) than after than area is clear head to the next tree doing the same thing. than after you hit all them spots move on and repeat, but never walk to fast as i find the slower you go the more you will find.

This year i am at 4lbs 9 oz. last year 2 days ago i hit a honey hole and in 3 hr's me and my brother got 12.5 lbs Was my 10th year and a blast:) Good luck fellow shroomers and remeber the fungus is STILL among us!

10. almightymorel

I really hope this week changes my mind but shroomgod I would have agree with u terrible season

11. almightymorel

Thank you savaged picker I'm more looking on the ground because as you know they can be anywhere but I always look at trees like apple cottonwood dying elms and still no luck I think I need different spots

12. shroom god

I tend to be a tree hunter more than a mushroom hunter, especially in virgin timber. However, that protocol tends to change when I'm in public land that's been traipsed by many. In the former scenario tree hunting yields rewards far greater than ground hunting. In the latter, since every tree is beaten to a pulp, mushroom hunting is more of a meander in the woods. For those who consider "morelling" something like this, then bring a wicker basket (I've never done that) and strike out with the intention of enjoying the woods and air...and hope to hell you might by chance stumble on some untouched 10X10 tract that has a couple shrooms. That's okay for those who dig it. I'm down with it. But I can't. I need to tear through the woods far and wide, bleed in the terrible embrace of multiflora brambles, pick thorns from my skin and watch my blood coagulate. And sweat...and struggle to make it through a thorn-infested thicket to the next promising tree.

They are where they are...true. Happenstance occasionally proves fruitful. But the serious hunter hunts trees. Year after year the forest offers new trees--and the bigger and older (and the more extensive the mycorhizzal association is, the better.

All that said, this season has proven disappointing in terms of big, huge elms and morel fruition. Tree hunting hasn't paid off as in the past. Some of my best finds have been chance encounters, literally stumbling on a patch while my eyes were momentarily fixed on the ground.

The moral of this is MIXED METHOD: tree hunt and ground hunt. You've gotta do both to optimize your success. I figure I learned that in the early 70s...after the major Dutch Elm disease gripped us and killed elms both small and massive. Tree hunt first, ground hunt always. Good combo.

13. almightymorel

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  14. papa smurf

papa smurf Morel Enthusiast

Yes. I hunt around Fulton Illinois .

I'm from Rockfalls , Illinois actually . I hunt all areas I am able to and have the time .

Found a good 10 nice Blonds today. Most were FRESH !! so i'm betting this weekend will be real nice .

Taking this Friday to go out on some Private land for a look . I'll keep everyone posted on my finds on Northwestern Illinois forum in Illinois .

Good luck to All !!

15. almightymorel

http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/TheManAlex5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160503_165505_zpsn3mo9mgo.jpg.html?filtersuser=145076006&filtersrecent=1&sort=1&o=3

16. almightymorel

Found 17 yellows 2 grays I knew this week was gonna change my luck I Hope everybody else is having luck. KEEP SHROOMING