Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
Just thought I'd start a new thread here for the Upstate crowd. I'm getting pretty excited after last year's dry, fruitless season. Looks like a whole string of intermittent warm/cool wet/dry in the immediate forecast. Sounds like prime conditions for hyphae in the substrate! (that'd be 'underground fungus amongus' in layman's terms). I'll be out hunting the lower Adirondacks / Saratoga county areas starting in a few weeks. Let's start posting reports and get ready for an incredible 2016 !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking forward to this...my first two years of hunting, I was interrupted by hospital stays, one year mom, the next dad. They seem healthy and it looks like after this week frost may be history.
Fingers crossed. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
After 2 years of not finding a thing, I'm pretty hopeful to actually bring something home this time. I have a plot of land to go look around and it's got an old apple orchard on it so hopefully that will bode well.

I'm seeing greenery start to come in. Keeping an eye out for fiddle heads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, newish to both morel hunting and CNY and wondering what you make of this cold week we're expecting after the early spring. I'm outside Syracuse and the fiddleheads still haven't come up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The earliest I've seen them is April 20th after a freakishly warm winter and next to a large lake that helps with temps.I see the PA message board is reporting finds in southern and central areas.That should put us out by at least 2-3 weeks.The long-term weather(for now)shows a week and a half of mid to upper 60's for highs and low 40's at night starting mid month.I'll check my early spot then.Just hopin' the moisture stays consistent.Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will be out hunting morels for about a week or so starting May 1st. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as forests to search. I have heard around syracuse is the best. Anyone have any recommendations for region of NY or forests to check out? Also, anyone know if that week is a good starting time? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Earliest I've found them was April 18th, blacks, in a random spot under some pine near a lawn. I almost always find them in the last week of April. I would suggest getting out during that week and looking wherever there is dark, rich, loamy soil where there are ash trees. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the info! I will only be getting back to NY around May 1st so I am hoping they are still up around that time. I heard that the blacks come first and then a week or so later the bigger variety start. What do you think about this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi, you guys! My name is Karrin and my partner and I have started a Youtube channel that is geared toward getting regular people out into the wilderness and foraging for wild mushrooms and wild plants. Our first two videos focus on morels. We don't like to be secretive, and are super friendly. We are looking for a community online, specifically Youtube, to share our adventures and knowledge with. We are also open to feedback and suggestions for future videos. If you wish to reply to the video, please do so on my youtube channel, otherwise I might not see it here.

So check out our videos and don't forget to subscribe, like and share! Thanks, and we look forward to getting to know you!!
The link to our youtube channel: https://youtu.be/dUxufP0AHqY

·
Registered
8 Posts
getting very excited for the hunt! i will be looking where i have found a big one before- mixed woods mostly maple and ash. The area has just been logged so i hope that hasn't changed anything for the worse.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Fuelled,I hope they left the ash and cleared the maple.I've found that too many maples makes for poor hunting and find most of my morels around ash(just my personal findings).The disturbed ground may be a good thing along with the opening of the forest canopy.Maybe not 'til next season though.Geogymn would probably have some better input.Mycelium can lay dormant for years waiting for the right conditions to arise.These are just opinions based on my limited knowledge.My enthusiasm has extended this post far enough.Happy Hunting!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for your input. maples are pests and they seem to take over everything! i have even been thinking about 'improving' the area I found them in, maybe dumping some oak leaves around and anything else morels might like.

·
Registered
704 Posts
M.Mentor,
If you took the time to read this forum instead of blindly pushing your youtube channel you would see that people here are not secretive of technique but, understandably, on specific locations.
Lynk,
How goes it? Getting excited I see. Saw some scarlet cups this past weekend. I agree with you about your Maple/Ash observation but a lot of landowners are removing their Ash trees before there is a forced quarantine.
My all time most productive (Yellow Morels) Ash forest got logged several years ago. The following two springs I found but a few surviving Morels. Since then it has become a tangled mess of Multiflora Rose and Berry briars. The Morels may be there but a rabbit couldn't get to them. It will be a long time before the expanding canopy blocks out the sun to the shade intolerant impenetrable underbrush. Mileage may vary.
Beaujolais,
In the forest I frequent, Maple saplings are lacking due to the deer decimating the forest understory. Nothing now but Beech saplings. I suggest you heed Lynk's observation and hunt whatever forest type is productive in your area. Around him and I, Ash is the most consistent producer of Morels. Down state I hear (read on message boards) that Tulip trees are popular (no pun intended). Don't look for the Morel, look for the tree. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Went to survey changes in the land since logging and found two false morels. I was surprised since it got pretty cold last night and we had a good frost on the ground.

Geogym- Ash is where I have found before. There is also a beech area with plenty of old decaying trees. I have read that morels like beech and am wondering if you, or anyone else has consistently found near beech in CNY.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone familiar with searching the Wyoming Co. area? I will be up to visit relatives and check around some old apple trees from May13-15. I was wondering if those dates would be good to plan to make the trip. I'm new to this and would appreciate any suggestions for optimum dates. Thanks!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I can't say that I ever had luck finding Morels in association with Beech. Beech are mycorrhizal with Chanterelles. At least that is my experience, there are no set rules for Morels.
False Morels (Verpa) generally precede Morels by a week or two.
Middle of May would be a good bet on finding morels.
Good luck and don't forget to stop, look around, and enjoy the hunt.

1 - 20 of 265 Posts