Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just made homemade pizza with the last of my morels. :( what's everyone think this year will do? Been an odd winter!! Haven't had many cold days n no snow n LOTS of rain. Can't wait to get in the woods!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
That sounds delicious. I can't wait to get into the woods also! Counting down the days to spring.
https://days.to/spring/2016
I hoping for a good year. Trying to stay optimistic. ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dehydrated!! I've tried different ways of freezing. Just not as good as fresh. Dehydrated don't make good for the typical frying but they work great for cooking with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In one of dehydrators like used for jerky?
Do you just soak to use for pizza etc.?

Thanks for your input. I am sort a forager, but have not hunted for hobies before (successfully). Scrounged around for sassafras, elderberries, poke salat, various stages of cattails, passion flowers, green hickory for smoking - stuff like that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes on the dehydrator. I just throw them in with the meat n other stuff when I'm cooking. No soaking. I've tried to soak n fry but not too good. They turn out alright sauteing in butter. But I throw them in all kinds of meals. You can also just crumble them up and use like a seasoning.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's getting close. Lots of trees blooming!! I think it might be a couple weeks early this year. Haven't had much of a winter, don't know if that will help or hurt.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Glassman,

Depends a lot on whether you get a deep freeze after they get going. Chances are when starting early that heat won't be the reason they quit producing.

Good luck ShroomMate!

Mitch

·
Registered
95 Posts
Early spring this year. I think ours will be a week or two earlier than last season. I got my first ones last year in the first week of April, so I expect my area in NW Arkansas to start around the last two weekends in March. I keep seeing folks post pics of tiny morel babies in southern Oklahoma. I am considering looking near Texarkana to see if I see any. Man, I wouldn't pick those babies they keep posting. Let those babies grow! Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm hoping all the old morels I came across last year that I crumbled (large yellows bigger than my hand) and spread will pay off this year. Happy & safe hunting to you all. Watch out for those slithering reptiles and be sure to spray for ticks. Wishing you all a bountiful season.

·
Vendor
202 Posts
GEAR UP ! ITS ALMOST SEASON !

Here is a link to the shop, This new camo is being displayed on a brand new material. It is a Micro Polyester Mesh - Spore Friendly !

https://www.etsy.com/listing/271436227/morel-spore-friendly-mesh-bag-hardwood?ref=shop_home_active_1

This camo is also available in my double panel nylon Heavy Duty Mesh bags. Maximum size is 12 x 18.

·
Registered
212 Posts
He was selling bags with pictures of morels on the bag. Because that is exactly what every secretive morel hunter wants.... To be carrying around a bag with a picture of morels on it. Real discrete. Market research is your friend testicle bag

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well went out this morning.nothing yet in the closest spots. every thing is looking close though. i'm thinking next week after the warmer temps should be on!!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts