Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by glassman, Jan 15, 2016.

1. glassman

glassman Morel Connoisseur

Just made homemade pizza with the last of my morels. :( what's everyone think this year will do? Been an odd winter!! Haven't had many cold days n no snow n LOTS of rain. Can't wait to get in the woods!!

2. jean marie

jean marie Morel Connoisseur

That sounds delicious. I can't wait to get into the woods also! Counting down the days to spring.
    https://days.to/spring/2016
    I hoping for a good year. Trying to stay optimistic. ;)

3. roam in loam

roam in loam Young Morel

How do you store morels r so long if you are lucky enough to find some.

\Total newby.

4. glassman

Dehydrated!! I've tried different ways of freezing. Just not as good as fresh. Dehydrated don't make good for the typical frying but they work great for cooking with.

5. roam in loam

roam in loam Young Morel

In one of dehydrators like used for jerky?
    Do you just soak to use for pizza etc.?

Thanks for your input. I am sort a forager, but have not hunted for hobies before (successfully). Scrounged around for sassafras, elderberries, poke salat, various stages of cattails, passion flowers, green hickory for smoking - stuff like that.

6. glassman

Yes on the dehydrator. I just throw them in with the meat n other stuff when I'm cooking. No soaking. I've tried to soak n fry but not too good. They turn out alright sauteing in butter. But I throw them in all kinds of meals. You can also just crumble them up and use like a seasoning.

7. glassman

It's getting close. Lots of trees blooming!! I think it might be a couple weeks early this year. Haven't had much of a winter, don't know if that will help or hurt.

8. missourishroommate

missourishroommate Morel Connoisseur

Glassman,

Depends a lot on whether you get a deep freeze after they get going. Chances are when starting early that heat won't be the reason they quit producing.

Good luck ShroomMate!

Mitch

9. glassman

first finds in OK. today!!!!!!!! going out tomorrow.

10. jean marie

GOOD LUCK!!! Posts pictures of your finds PLEASE.

11. arkanshrooms

arkanshrooms Morel Connoisseur

Early spring this year. I think ours will be a week or two earlier than last season. I got my first ones last year in the first week of April, so I expect my area in NW Arkansas to start around the last two weekends in March. I keep seeing folks post pics of tiny morel babies in southern Oklahoma. I am considering looking near Texarkana to see if I see any. Man, I wouldn't pick those babies they keep posting. Let those babies grow! Good luck everyone!

12. jean marie

I'm hoping all the old morels I came across last year that I crumbled (large yellows bigger than my hand) and spread will pay off this year. Happy & safe hunting to you all. Watch out for those slithering reptiles and be sure to spray for ticks. Wishing you all a bountiful season.

13. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur

GEAR UP ! ITS ALMOST SEASON !

Here is a link to the shop, This new camo is being displayed on a brand new material. It is a Micro Polyester Mesh - Spore Friendly !

https://www.etsy.com/listing/271436227/morel-spore-friendly-mesh-bag-hardwood?ref=shop_home_active_1

This camo is also available in my double panel nylon Heavy Duty Mesh bags. Maximum size is 12 x 18.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  14. arkanshrooms

I hate it when you log in to a message board and the only reply is from a damned spammer.

15. jdk32581

jdk32581 Morel Connoisseur

He was selling bags with pictures of morels on the bag. Because that is exactly what every secretive morel hunter wants.... To be carrying around a bag with a picture of morels on it. Real discrete. Market research is your friend testicle bag

16. arkanshrooms

LOL. He's spamming all the message boards.

17. glassman

well went out this morning.nothing yet in the closest spots. every thing is looking close though. i'm thinking next week after the warmer temps should be on!!!

18. glassman

First one!!!2016 new spot. Only found one, but they are starting [​IMG]

19. glassman

Can't get the pic to post here, but it's on morels. Com FB

20. glassman