Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Discussion starter · #43 ·
Found some more after work, still only where hills get nearly full sunshine. These next few weeks should really get things going in the woods. I know all the old-timers down at the local watering hole who can't get out themselves really appreciate me sharing my good fortunes. I highly recommend sharing your finds, as opposed to collecting only to sell. It's far more rewarding for you and appreciated by them. Remember, some day we all will be in their shoes, and I hope the younger generation will do the same for me when I no longer can hike these billy goat hills we have here in God's country.
Mushroom Fungus Oyster mushroom Edible mushroom Ingredient

Do you concentrate on dead elms only? I just started hunting morels this year and not having the best of luck. Only found one so far. I have read that you can find them under old fruit trees, ash, birch, cottonwood & even white pine as well?

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Do you concentrate on dead elms only? I just started hunting morels this year and not having the best of luck. Only found one so far. I have read that you can find them under old fruit trees, ash, birch, cottonwood & even white pine as well?
Yes it's true you can find them by many different trees, you are best served by finding woodlands that have elms. Early in season check for spots on southern exposure as they warm up the earliest, then as season progresses check southeastern and southwestern, until finally ending up on northern slopes at end of season. Elms that are just starting to lose there bark are best bets, as these are the trees that were the myceliums host plant, and when that host dies, the mycelium sends up the morel to broadcast spores through the air, hoping to land in an area that it can find a new host to continue living. Get a compass and look at videos and pictures of elms so you feel confident in locating when you get into woods. Then put some miles on your boots, and keep an eye out for your treasures. Good luck!

Yes it's true you can find them by many different trees, you are best served by finding woodlands that have elms. Early in season check for spots on southern exposure as they warm up the earliest, then as season progresses check southeastern and southwestern, until finally ending up on northern slopes at end of season. Elms that are just starting to lose there bark are best bets, as these are the trees that were the myceliums host plant, and when that host dies, the mycelium sends up the morel to broadcast spores through the air, hoping to land in an area that it can find a new host to continue living. Get a compass and look at videos and pictures of elms so you feel confident in locating when you get into woods. Then put some miles on your boots, and keep an eye out for your treasures. Good luck!
Thank you!

I should have came to Wisconsin this weekend but others wanted Michigan .... and I've only hunted northern Michigan one other time, I definitely prefer Wisconsin! Hoping I'll be able to do one more trip next weekend just wondering how the weathers been and what counties might still b on?

Friendly reminder to all. .... do a tick check after each time out! Today I neglected to do one as I was in a hurry to get to my daughter's softball game. Well, I just woke up to find a deer tick embedded in my left arm pit. I won't make that mistake again and I hope I don't pay for my negligence by contacting anything from the tick bite.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.