1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Featured 2017 Season

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by chonas, Jan 11, 2017.

1. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

According to standard morel hunting rules, the ground will be warm enough by tomorrow or the next day in North Alabama. Our degree-days should be at 365 by 1/19. Start looking then, and post when you find your firsts so we can guess at the season length this year. Hopefully it will be better than last, but it's looking like we'll be too warm for much luck.

2. newtimmy

newtimmy Morel Connoisseur

Chonas, I noticed the warm up as well. I hunt around Bham and if we average near 70 with lows in the 50s for the next 10-12 days. I will give it a look on Saturday 1/21. I have never heard of morels in January in Alabama. But we have to remember they have grown them in labs year round. The morels respond to soil temperature and dont look at the calendar. In the back of my mind Im saying no way; but I have to look just in case they do make a January appearance. Our soil temps just hit 53 degrees today 1/11; and look to be between 53 and 60 non stop during the predicted warmup. My experience is morels begin to appear usu 8-12 days after you get steady at and above 53. That is why I will wait and look next Saturday 1/21. Will be interesting to see what happens.

3. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

I used to pick Yellow Morels by April 1st. on the Alabama, Tenn. boarder. Never found any Black Morels down there though.

4. newtimmy

Checked my hot spots for morels Saturday 1/21, nothing. Will check again Thursday 1/26. If the soil temps stay in the 50's during February, I will just keep checking weekly. Not sure what effect this warmup will have on the season or when it might start. Just hoping for the best. Last year was awful and I hope we dont repeat that again this year...

5. alabamarose83

alabamarose83 Morel Enthusiast

newtimmy, I agree, last season was bad, hoping this one will be great for all!

chonas, any luck yet?

Anyone seeing any maypops or mayflowers yet or other flora and fauna that is usually a clue to the start of the morel mushroom season?

6. newtimmy

Checked my 5 best spots again Wednesday 1/25. No morels. Little cool for the next 4 days. If we get another 12-15 day run of Warm/Hot weather in February it'll be time to check again.. One of my 3 redbuds has a few blooms and is 60% buds just waiting to bloom. Dandelions everywhere. 10 days ago dandelions where near buildings, roads and walkway. Now Im seeing them surge and in the middle of yards and open areas..

7. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Anything going down in AL? Was thinking about heading south for a change. Dauphin Island was calling but chance is slim now. Just wondering. Hit 'em.

8. newtimmy

Checked my best spots again Weds, 2/8. Saw no morels. It looks like we will have above average temps around Birmingham for the duration of February. This could be one of those years where we get a late Feb or very early March start. My hunting grounds average March 12-16 for start. I read some interesting information on how cold or warm winters have a varying effect on the timing of morels appearing. The information was a study done over 15 years in Missouri and indicated that on milder winters the morels appeared later relative to soil temperature reaching a consistent level of warmth (ie 55 degrees) for a stretch of days. For example, in a harsher winter, the morels may appear after 13 or 15 days of consistent 55 degree soil temps. While for the same hunting area and a milder winter it took 17 or 19 days of consistent 55 degree soil temps for the morels to begin to appear. Away from the study and to my take on that information. I believe it may be that the winter or chilling signal may act as a 'winding up' of the underground part of the morel that fruits. The colder winter winds that tighter and it takes less timeframe of soil warming to 'spring' the fruiting action. The milder winder winds the fruiting process less tight and takes a longer period and or higher level of soil warming to 'spring' the fruiting action. This would make sense for the morel to fruit this way to give it a larger geographical range; such that somewhere in way north Canada a very harsh winter and spring may give the morel only a few weeks to achieve 55 degree soil and they want to fruit before it turns back winter. Conversely, in the southern extent of the range in the deep South where temps get mild sometimes in January and February the morel can hold back and try to wait for the true spring time. This all occurred to me receently and may be totally off the tracks. I have never heard it expressed this way. Any thoughts?

9. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

https://www.mushroomfarm.com/mushroom-hunting-info/hunting-morel-mushrooms/soil-temperature-map.html

This doesn't respond directly to your question, but says the longer past 365 degree days until the first morel is found, the longer the season will be.

http://uspest.org/wea/gis/NW_32se.png

This seems like the most in depth study on scientific predictors http://www.namyco.org/is_it_time_for_morels_yet.php

All I know is I'm heading out ASAP (tonight probably), then again Thursday-Fri after the rain, then it's as much as I can until people stop posting :)

10. newtimmy

My next planned trip to check for the shrooms will prob be Thursday 2/23. If the weather stays more warm than cold, I'll probably need to begin checking every 3 or 4 days thereafter. Chonas good luck to you on your hunting. Maybe you can find the first morel of the season

11. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

Went to the woods this morning, saw my first immature triliums of the year. Afterwards, saw tons of cherry blossoms on my way to work about to bloom. Definitely getting close.

12. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

I'm in S. Mi. but I'm rooting for you guys to get it going down there.

13. newtimmy

If the weather plays out as predicted the next 2 weeks, then, someone in Central Georgia, Central Alabama or Texas will find the first morel late February or the first week of March. My hunting buddy and I both do a prediction of when we will find our first and we have each guessed March 5th and March 8th. And I dont mean to exclude any other state on finding an early morel but those 3 areas seem to be at the bottom of the morel range and have avid hunters that find morels early on.

14. newtimmy

first find is in for the southern states. looks like about a half inch cap grey that was found near Augusta, GA today 2/21. Central Alabama morel hunters be ready to hunt the next 3 weeks or so. If the weather plays out as forecasted the season could be winding down and out by March 15-March 20, which is normally when its just getting started. Just wanted to post for all Alabama hunters, so you dont needlessly miss the season. This year may be alot like 2012 which is the earliest season by far that Ive seen in 9 years of hunting morels in Alabama. Happy Hunting to all..

15. parrothead

parrothead Morel Connoisseur

I come down and turkey hunt in Crenshaw county. I ask some guys if they find any they didnt have a clue what I was talking about. Do they grow around that area?

16. newtimmy

Parrot, I have heard of morels found near and north of Selma, Montgomery, Auburn and Columus, GA. Anything south of that like Crenshaw County may be alot tougher to find them though I can't say they are not there. Most of the appreciable finds ( meaning a pound and multiple pounds ) in Alabama have been reported along and north of the Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Anniston line. Good luck, and the best thing to look for in Crenshaw would be a creek bottom with as much of any of the following trees: Elm, Ash, Hackberry and Sycamore.

17. jk117

jk117 Morel Enthusiast

Found one in north central Al yesterday.

]//i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/mescalato/IMG_3153.jpg[/URL][/img][/url]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  18. jk117

jk117 Morel Enthusiast

&lt;a href=&quot;[​IMG]"&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;<a href="http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/mescalato/media/IMG_3153.jpg.html">&lt;img src=&quot;

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  19. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

Can you give a few details?

Slope direction vs river bottom, soil type, elevation, nearby big trees? How far north (below huntsville, north of bham for example)? Every little bit helps! Great find and beautiful pic.

20. jk117

jk117 Morel Enthusiast

Not sure on slope direction (never really paid attention to that). Growing along a wet weather stream that runs into a river/creek. Around privet hedge and wild cherry and sycamore trees. Lots of trillium and violets in bloom.