2017 Southern Michigan Report

Discussion in 'Southern Michigan' started by noskydaddy, Feb 26, 2017.

1. YES!

21 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. MAYBE JACK...MAYBE...

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. noskydaddy

noskydaddy Morel Connoisseur

Hi Guys,

Since the old post got so long, I thought it might be a
    good idea to create a new topic and begin 2017 here.

If you guys are game, then please post here.
    It should make it somewhat easier for all of us.

Anyone been walking around in the woods?

@NSD

Heidi likes this.
  2. bung23

bung23 Young Morel

Not yet. I hunt blondes so I'm 100% sure that they're not up yet. However, I was wondering if the blacks might be up. Anyone know?

3. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

bung23

I've heard of blacks being found in Tennessee and Kentucky but not any further North than that.

4. noskydaddy

Do blacks usually hang around different trees than yellows?

I thought I saw that.

I haven't really hunted blacks too much but if anyone could
    advise on tree types that would help.

I thought I heard oaks, sycamores, tulip poplar, etc for blacks.
    (more commonly)

True?

5. parrothead

parrothead Morel Connoisseur

I looked on Kentucky hunting forum guy found some in Hart Co. Some nice finds on the Georgia site on here

6. pamorelsxs

pamorelsxs Morel Enthusiast

Matherly's site showing a nice find in middle Indiana???

7. noskydaddy

True, he reported a find in Indiana but the
    Map shows it in the southern part.

Looks like Evansville or Hoosier National
    Forest Area.

8. bung23

bung23 Young Morel

From what I understand, blacks associate with ash, tulip poplar and big toothed aspen. I don't hunt them, but I should start- I love morels and the woods. I stumbled upon a flush of blacks once- about a hundred- but the next year, there were none there. I've also found one here and there but the trees I hunt do not produce blacks.
    I'm so excited and I can't wait to find my blondes.
    On a side note, last fall, I happened upon a bunch of edibles. I've never really looked for other mushrooms other than morels. Last year I found chicken-of-the-woods, some GIGANTIC (8"diameter cap) boletes, golden coral mushrooms, chanterelles and maybe another species or two that I can't recall right now. I was too scared to eat any of them, though. I would like to sell them because I found so many, that I could never consume them all. Any ideas on where I could sell them?

9. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

Nosky

I don't usually hunt blacks here in Indiana as the ones I have found do not seem to be of the same quality of those up north.
    When I am up North I hunt in mixed hardwoods going to Ash first but have found many on small humps with smaller maples and beech. I have come across a downed tree that was quite decomposed with moss growing on it. I found blacks in that moss.
    I hunted my ground around here under Sycamore and Tulip but found only Greys and Yellows.
    I have found them under Aspen up North but have only a couple Aspen Patches in my area.
    I'm sorry I do not have a good answer for you but wanted to share my experience's and would like to hear from others. Good Luck to all

10. noskydaddy

Thanks fellas.

Appreciated the detailed feedback.

:)

11. noskydaddy

<span style="font-size: xx-large"><strong>PSA</strong></span>

I just remembered something that can
    affect ANY ONE OF US while out in the field.

Ticks!

Particularly notice: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, &amp; New York

<span style="font-size: xx-large"><strong>LYME DISEASE CASES REPORTED - 2001 vs 2015</strong></span>

[​IMG]<span style="font-size: x-large"> </span><span style="font-size: x-large"> </span>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  12. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Enthusiast

[video]https://youtu.be/sFwwGQRs6B4[/video] please subscribe for mushroom vids

13. billyraybar

billyraybar Morel Enthusiast

In order of appearance. First Blacks...Then Grays...Then Blondes. Down here in lower Michigan (Temperance), I find no rhyme or reason as to where these "guys" are found. I've harvested them in ditches, in lawns, in gravel driveways, in flower gardens, in open fields, near any and all species of trees. My philosophy is...If you put your time in and you have a keen eye, you will find them. You might walk through the woods all day and find nothing...You may park your car, open your door and see a couple dozen of 'em staring at you. YOU MUST BE PATIENT AND NOT GIVE UP!!!

14. zmushroom queen

zmushroom queen Young Morel

I'm back!!!!! Haven't been on this site for a few years since the EX was trying to be a bully in the woods......Will hit up some spots soon.....seeing some local pics on FB, so I'll be checking it out soon!!!

1 person likes this.
  15. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

Hey Queeny, glad your back. Have you found another morel bush? Theres a guy been finding a lot of blacks around the Zoo. Good luck!

16. carving

carving Morel Enthusiast

I didn't find any morels today BUT, I did just find a bunch of AWESOME Morel Mushroom Walking Sticks on ebay for $30 :) THEY ROCK!

17. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

Glad to have you back, looking forward to your posts.

18. slickie2009

slickie2009 Young Morel

Good to see you back

19. SEMIpicker

SEMIpicker Young Morel

Hi All,

I have a couple dozen small blondes growing on my front lawn. Some years ago I threw out a bunch of buggy morels under a crab apple tree now at least 1 or 2 come up a year. Nothing like this before. They are all about golf ball size. I picked a couple of the bigger ones for some morels and eggs tomorrow. Must be all the rain of late and now the warm weather. Careful for ticks this year. I was out hiking at a local park yesterday and had about 8 of them on me!

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      564.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      704 KB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 4.PNG
      4.PNG
      File size:
      688.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.PNG
      5.PNG
      File size:
      926.7 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  20. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

That's real early for those.....and Hello Kelly, welcome back !