1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

2017 year in review

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by fun gus, May 12, 2017.

1. fun gus

fun gus Morel Enthusiast

polk county best year since 2013. 4/13 to 5/10. A few late season to be had but I'm done. Hit my 50# mark. They popped bigger then average all season. Early mid season cold spell had soil temp drop below 53 for four days. During that time, nice big gray's everywhere. After the warm up, a short yellow season. I have 10 pounds in freezer. I dip in egg, then flour and fry in butter until almost crisp and freeze individually on cookie sheet and store in freezer bag. In off season finish frying in butter and taste great. An elderly person I've always given fresh can't really prepare fresh anymore so I gave her a quart bag so she can take out a couple and fry up whenever she wants. Hopefully, you all had a good year and can keep it going next year

Inthewild likes this.
  2. Cam

Cam Morel Enthusiast

I did so well before we got those cold days, then I just havnt had the luck like I was, even with big yellows. I think I'm going to go out in a few hours and try some spots. Any recommendations from you professionals of where to look with so much undergrowth?

1 person likes this.

3. fun gus

fun gus Morel Enthusiast

I'm no professional but imo lower 1/4 of north hill, low damp areas are best bet. High foliage is a bitch, but the rusty big ones are noticeable just look for the different colors of late season. The freshest ones are the hardest to see and around downed wood or the hills. Good luck