1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by MorelFinder, Apr 25, 2017.

1. MorelFinder

MorelFinder Young Morel

Hey guys last year I only found 14 to 20 morel mushrooms and I went 2 weeks straight so i was tempted to not even go this year. I can't do it I gotta go look for them They are the best tasting mushrooms I ever had So if anybody could give me tips what kinda trees,habitat and other stuff that helps u find them Please let me know I greatly appreciate it I'm going to day I live in dubuque going to Swiss Valley in a couple hours

2. iamorelmonster

iamorelmonster Morel Enthusiast

Some people go out and wander aimlessly checking every tree. I would not recommend that. First you need to be able to identify an elm tree, dead or dying specifically. Its hard to explain via text what they look like but their is many resources on the internet such as google images to help you identify them. And you want to check elm trees that the bark is just starting to fall off, if it has no bark you will likely not find any mushrooms. I only check elm trees and the occasional apple tree if i happen to see one. Secondly I would recommend asking around friends or family if they have any private ground you could hunt on. Public ground is fine but you must be willing to walk a long ways because anything close to a trail or road is more than likely going to be picked by someone else looking for an easy meal. I also suggest having a compass with you, early in the season you want to check south facing hill sides and hill tops/open areas because they get the most sun light. As the year progress you want to transition into north facing and bottoms to find fresh morels. I am from the Dubuque area and it can be tough hunting on public grounds because alot of people hunt in that area. You could also try the mines of spain or road hunting is always an option.

3. MorelFinder

MorelFinder Young Morel

I found 7 mushrooms they were yellow and kind of old only had 30 minutes to look due to work but I hope the season isn't almost over

4. MorelFinder

MorelFinder Young Morel

Found a bunch of dead trees and that's were I found them I think they were elm but barley any bark and also were burnt

5. MorelFinder

MorelFinder Young Morel

Thanks for the tips I know about dead elms and dead apples trees because last year that's were I found them But I find the greatest looking dead elm not much bark missing and not find a single one They are so elusive it's crazy but I feel so great finding them but You live in Dubuque Also? Awesome what's ur favorite public spots?

Snooki likes this.
  6. Snooki

Snooki Young Morel

When we were kids we went hunting on memorial weekend in southern Iowa we found at least 10 paper grocery sacks full of morels. I have been hunting since I was 3. I am worried about the cold weather. We don't give up when other people say the season is done and always find more! Also no they are not false morels.