2018 Alabama Morel Season

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by chonas, Jan 22, 2018.

1. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

Greetings AL mushroom hunters!

Hopefully you guys all had a great 2017 like I did. I started the 2018 thread because I had my first morel hunting dream of the year last week. Good luck this year everyone!

2. jk117

jk117 Morel Enthusiast

Can't wait any longer. Hope the cold weather and a little snow makes for an epic fruiting this spring.

Way to early guess on the first one in Alabama:

March 17

Good luck out there.

3. newtimmy

newtimmy Morel Connoisseur

last two winters were warmer than avg., My hunting buddy and I didnt find many like we did in 2014 and 2015. This winter is running 3 degrees below the avg. First morel Bham area im guessing March 15.

4. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

By the way, I found a very very strong indicator of morel fruiting: leafing of oak leaf hydrangea. I'll keep a better eye on leaf size:morel fruiting time this year, but I saw none before it had leaves and started finding them as it gained them.

eidolon likes this.
  5. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

I'm pretty sure they say the oak leave the size of a squirrels ear

Jbarr likes this.
  6. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

That adage is about leaves on oak trees. I'm talking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrangea_quercifolia oakleaf hydrangea. The problem with using oak trees as an indicator is that there are up to 10 species in any given area which all have differences in leaf out schedule. The saying also doesn't say what part of the tree should have leaves the size of squirrels ears (tree crown and understory grow leaves at different times).

Oakleaf hydrangea on the other hand rarely grows above 10' tall, so its leaf growth is pretty uniform.

7. tommyjosh

Up here in Minnesota we only have two type of oaks

8. tommyjosh

9. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

Have you AL people seen the 10 day forecast? Highs in the 60s lows above 40 for the forseeable future. Keep an eye on soil temps!

10. tommyjosh

Could be a early year

11. i_heart_shrooms

i_heart_shrooms Morel Enthusiast

Last week? I had my first back in September, LOL

12. i_heart_shrooms

i_heart_shrooms Morel Enthusiast

I thought Minnesota had more than that?

White Oak
    Red Oak
    Northern Pin Oak
    Swamp White Oak
    Bur Oak

Am I missing any?

13. tommyjosh

Well the main oaks that we have I. Central mn is red,white and bur

14. newtimmy

Temps will be very mild for next 10 days if the forecast verifies. May have to check early spots next Monday (2/19). I dont expect to find any then; but, I always error on the side of not missing the start. All that said, if it stays mild, it should set the stage for late Feb or early March start if we get no serious relapse to cold. Happy Hunting, its getting closer every day

15. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

New hunter here. I'd like to know about burned land. I've heard morels seem to like land that's been burned, but does that impact last more than one season past the fire? I have access to some areas near the NC wildfires that happened in the Fall of 2016, and wonder if I should concentrate on those tracts? Any advice?

16. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

Another question from a newcomer: I'm in GA. Once the season begins, how long will it last? Is it prolonged if the weather remains moderate for a longer period of time, or do they all go at once and then it ends, e.g. just 2-3 weeks? Thanks.

17. Mary Smiley

Mary Smiley Young Morel

How far south in Alabama do morels grow? I’m currently staying in my camper in Mobile. The ground temp here right now is 59.5° about 4” deep in the shade. I am prepared to move north of here once the time comes. How far do I need to go?

18. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

@eidolon Burn morels are a specific species associated with the giant conifers out west. They don't work here. What I did was look at google sat images for my area, then run wooded spaces through https://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/HomePage.htm to see if the soils were non acidic (morels like basic sandy loam). This helped me ID 2 new spots last year. Good luck!

19. newtimmy

If this weather holds warm next 10 days, someone in SC, GA or Ala will find a morel in late Feb. i hunt in southern metro Bham and our next 10 days are forecast with avg high 73 and avg low 58. Getting close for sure.!!

ditchrunner and eidolon like this.