Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2018 Badger State MOREL Season

119K views 608 replies 64 participants last post by  Beverly Dorn 
#1 ·
Ok pickers, The owl's are nesting, the maple sap is starting to run, Humming birds are on the move north, & Vern is posting already in Kentucky. Seems to me it's about time to start a 2018 conversation. Let's have the best year ever. " Go For Em! "

#6 ·
Rat, you were born ready!
Glad it's the first day of spring tmrrw. This winter just seemed extra brutal, but maybe I'm just getting old!! Anyhow I've been out scouting a bit lately & seems like we got plenty of snow. Does anybody else drive around spying Elm tree's & wishing they were dead? I think it's a morel thing. Can't wait for the Ramps either.

#10 ·
Yee ha, added about 20 trees to my list and will check if there naughty or nice this year. Christmas in May. Coming off my best year yet, ( previous year was my worst, still stings a little ) making plans to hook up with Old Elm, could not last year because I couldn't trust my car, so got a new one, ( 7,000 miles ) I am set. I hope every one just kills them this year. br5 noooooooooooooo out of state trips in May, ha. ( except Wisconsin ). boiled owl eye I am here and raring to go. My lab love mushroom season, hes getting pumped too. Go Go Go Go...

#14 ·
I will always be the other guy to Old Elm, ha. I saw a lot of good elms, saw at least a couple hundred, most too far gone. I marked more than 20 on my new cars gps, a lot of hit and run spots, but prefer a nice long trail. Its nice picking the elms out while still driving 30 mph, then having my son mark them. I remember when I first started I would analyze the tree forever wondering if that was a elm. br5, where do you live?, are you taking a road trip to Indiana?

#15 ·
br5, what do you mean north to the forbidden areas, ha. Nice to see the rats back. Wheres bucky, hey buckthornman. One year I did go up to the leech lake area to find the famous MN black Morels, and I did find some thanks to a couple northern boys giving me some tips. The thing is when its hot and heavy down here, they are going strong up north also, hard to leave to go up there when you do not know the lay of the land as good. tons of land though. hard to spot. Find good grouse cover and your good to go, thats what I took out of it. Very pretty morel.

#21 ·
Shrono,
How long did it take to follow them up from Atlanta? Use to be a guy in Logansport that owned Clossen Lumber. His lobby was covered in framed pictures of morels and he had a very large one in a jar of chloroform or something. He followed them up for years. I always wanted to do it myself.

#25 ·
Trooper,
I'm up to getting together for a hunt. I've tentatively made reservations for end of first week of May. Normally I go a little later but I've been about 5 days late last 4 years. Not going to let that happen this year. Of course there's always the outside chance they'll be up in April like in 2012. Depending on how good I do I'll come back the following week as well. I'm good for a WI hunt as well if your willing to drive down a ways. I hunter there in 2016 and scouted some decent areas.

#27 ·
Owl,
My data indicates that's the mean average over the past 9 years. Keep in mind in that time frame we've hunted end of April and third week of May as well. In the 80's we just went around mothers day, but back then there wasn't much competition. Getting there late for me means I see a lot of stomped down woods.

#49 ·
what a surprise last years first pick was. I do get the fever when the Morels come up I must admit. br5, those are some healthy numbers you get, I am impressed. well I work 12 shifts and have the next couple days off and the dog is sticking his nose in my side, guess he wants to do some more scouting, have a good day everyone.

#56 ·
Newbie morel hunters here. My husband and I bought a home 2 1/2 years ago on 3 acres, northern Wisconsin. We discovered morels our first Spring, I had no idea what I had just mowed over.... I know, ouch! Lesson learned for the following year, we used pink flags to mark the areas. Our first year was a very weak harvest, enough to pan fry in butter and eat with our steaks. Last Spring, our 2nd morel season, we had a very good harvest. We had too many that we knew what to do with! Husband had read online that you want to carry your harvest in something with holes to spread the spores for following year. Well, the strainer and his "manly" vigorous shaking, turned into a cheese grater. Our precious morels were mushed and more like a spread. We attempted a creamy morel soup,but pureed 'shrooms gave it a funny texture. This year, we want to contact a few local chefs and see if anyone is interested in purchasing. Looking for all sorts of suggestions as we seem to learn a hard lesson every season!

#60 ·
Mrs. A, welcome to the club. You want to have a bag with hols to let the spores float around. Even if you use a plastic bag and at the end turn it inside out and shake it out the window while driving will release the spores and at the same time will let me know where your hunting, ha. owl eye, actually my dog has helped me find quite a few, not by smelling them out but by inadvertently kicking them out of the ground and flipping them up on the trail in plain sight, alot of times when I was cutting through what I thought wasn't the best spot going to another spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.