2018 Badger State MOREL Season

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by Old Elm, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Ok pickers, The owl's are nesting, the maple sap is starting to run, Humming birds are on the move north, & Vern is posting already in Kentucky. Seems to me it's about time to start a 2018 conversation. Let's have the best year ever. " Go For Em! "

2. Boiled Owl Eye

Boiled Owl Eye Morel Connoisseur

I'm ready to get some. Where's that other guy at, still to early for him?

3. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

When you expecting the wrens. I've already booked vacation for 1st week in May. Could be a week early, but I can move it as season gets closer. Looks like you guys could use some rain.

1 person likes this.
  4. morel rat

morel rat Morel Connoisseur

I'm so ready!
    As my dried ones are almost gone...

2 people like this.
  5. morel rat

morel rat Morel Connoisseur

Ohh Yeah Hello All :cool:

1 person likes this.
  6. Old Elm

Rat, you were born ready!
    Glad it's the first day of spring tmrrw. This winter just seemed extra brutal, but maybe I'm just getting old!! Anyhow I've been out scouting a bit lately & seems like we got plenty of snow. Does anybody else drive around spying Elm tree's & wishing they were dead? I think it's a morel thing. Can't wait for the Ramps either.

Dtails likes this.
  7. Old Elm

We got lots of snow in the woods, should be fine on moisture up here.

8. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Good to hear, I'm coming off two weak years and thinking that I'm due. Got in late last year and found a lot of trampled areas. Went to one of my honey holes and picked 6lbs on a hundred yard stretch of hill. Thought we we're into them. Only picked another 6 lbs. in next two days.

9. Old Elm

Last I heard " Minn BUCKTHORNMAN " was rebuilding his "Wren - O _ meter" , But it's so old he was having a heck of a time finding parts for It? I always use him as my Wren guide. Guess I'd better check up on him. He's on the Minn board.

10. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

Yee ha, added about 20 trees to my list and will check if there naughty or nice this year. Christmas in May. Coming off my best year yet, ( previous year was my worst, still stings a little ) making plans to hook up with Old Elm, could not last year because I couldn't trust my car, so got a new one, ( 7,000 miles ) I am set. I hope every one just kills them this year. br5 noooooooooooooo out of state trips in May, ha. ( except Wisconsin ). boiled owl eye I am here and raring to go. My lab love mushroom season, hes getting pumped too. Go Go Go Go...

11. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

Lots of snow in the woods is what I like to hear!!

1 person likes this.
  12. Boiled Owl Eye

Boiled Owl Eye Morel Connoisseur

Cool, You are that guy I wondered about. Is 20tree's how many you look at?

13. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Trooper,
    I'd love to start in WI and work my way north into the forbidden areas. You can join us in Indiana in April to get the eye. Or just watch our posts after the trip. Hope we don't bomb out.

14. Shroomtrooper 1

I will always be the other guy to Old Elm, ha. I saw a lot of good elms, saw at least a couple hundred, most too far gone. I marked more than 20 on my new cars gps, a lot of hit and run spots, but prefer a nice long trail. Its nice picking the elms out while still driving 30 mph, then having my son mark them. I remember when I first started I would analyze the tree forever wondering if that was a elm. br5, where do you live?, are you taking a road trip to Indiana?

15. Shroomtrooper 1

br5, what do you mean north to the forbidden areas, ha. Nice to see the rats back. Wheres bucky, hey buckthornman. One year I did go up to the leech lake area to find the famous MN black Morels, and I did find some thanks to a couple northern boys giving me some tips. The thing is when its hot and heavy down here, they are going strong up north also, hard to leave to go up there when you do not know the lay of the land as good. tons of land though. hard to spot. Find good grouse cover and your good to go, thats what I took out of it. Very pretty morel.

1 person likes this.
  16. Shroomtrooper 1

Hey Old Elm, remember my first pick last year was April 26th. Coming quick, and I still will be scampering around early. Cant wait for the ramps and fiddle heads. See if your buddy will set me up for a black trumpet outing, want to cross that off my bucket list.

1 person likes this.
  17. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Trooper,
    I live
    Trooper,
    I live in Kokomo In. When you mentioned no trips up north in May I thought you we're referring to going to Minnosota.
    That's my travel hunt every year.

18. Shroomtrooper 1

Oh, well if your coming up give me a shout, always ready to meet new friends, I thought you lived in Mn and you had a commitment to leave during the best time of the hunt.

19. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

I've been up every year since I moved back from Colorado in late 08. Started hunting in WI back in the 80,s when you could drive up to a farm to ask permission. I never had anybody say no. Where about you located?

20. Shronomnom

Shronomnom Morel Enthusiast

Hi all! gonna be a great year. Maybe slightly early. Last year i followed them up from Atlanta. First find in S Wisco was April 26. Go deep!!