Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

281 - 300 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Checked one of my sweet spots today. There were no Morels yet, but I did find two small pheasant backs each about the size of a silver dollar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Elevatorguy, this sort of looks like a false morel to me. I've run across false morels before but they didn't quite look like those pictured in your photo. The reason I ask is because it's very early to be finding yellows.
Elevatorguy, this sort of looks like a false morel to me. I've run across false morels before but they didn't quite look like those pictured in your photo. The reason I ask is because it's very early to be finding yellows.
That's a morel enjoy :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I finished off the day planting a variety of trees on my farm here in southeastern Wisconsin to sustain some biodiversity. The American Elm has all but vanished from the landscape. Where they were once common with their massive umbrella like canopies, I have maybe two small 40' adult plants remaining. I wonder about the future of Morels. Will they shift their place in the ecological cycle to the dying ash that are being infested by the Emerald Ash Borer? What does the forum think?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have a safe trip M3Shell. Where exactly is your woods? LOL
Sorry for the late reply. Nice to see sister and her family in Seattle.

Our place is north of Oconomowoc by about five miles.

Edit: and, hopping onto the last conversation, we only have a couple elms, but we're inundated with various Ash trees, in various stages of livng/dying.

We had two large Ash on our previous land in the city, and we bought a powder to save them from the bugs, and it worked; averaged $75/tree/year though.

281 - 300 of 610 Posts