Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
581 - 600 of 609 Posts
Any pictures? I'd like to learn what these are and why I should hunt them
Hunt chicken for sure they r delicious
I have yet to succeed on making this dish with them but had chicken parm made with the chicken mushroom and it was to die 4! I found some this week but I find tons in late August and September they r very good fried and taste just like tender chicken

What's next after Morel season?
I’m new to summer mushrooms. Tried many of them. In my opinion morels are prime rib everything else so far for me has been between and old hot dog to hamburger helper. Pheasant backs by far are my favorite wet cardboard to eat. And to be honest oysters and chicken of the woods were at least premium hot dogs. Some chanterelle nut said they are awesome. But to me, morels will be my favorite forever.

I’m new to summer mushrooms. Tried many of them. In my opinion morels are prime rib everything else so far for me has been between and old hot dog to hamburger helper. Pheasant backs by far are my favorite wet cardboard to eat. And to be honest oysters and chicken of the woods were at least premium hot dogs. Some chanterelle nut said they are awesome. But to me, morels will be my favorite forever.
I'm with you on that, Mother load.

I thought crown tip coral was pretty good, lions mane really good, very hard to find. And the most surprising one I liked a lot was the hedgehog mushroom. nice flavor and great texture. Easy to ID, spines on underside. I need to explore the edible boletes more. Found a perfect King bolete once, but it was early in my mushroom foraging days and could not find my camera to have help ID it. Never ate it. I made jerkey out of hen of the woods once, pretty good, if I do it more it would get better. Nice knowing you have some vitamin D in winter, ha. Chants are very good, and pretty long season, I would say really good.

I thought crown tip coral was pretty good, lions mane really good, very hard to find. And the most surprising one I liked a lot was the hedgehog mushroom. nice flavor and great texture. Easy to ID, spines on underside. I need to explore the edible boletes more. Found a perfect King bolete once, but it was early in my mushroom foraging days and could not find my camera to have help ID it. Never ate it. I made jerkey out of hen of the woods once, pretty good, if I do it more it would get better. Nice knowing you have some vitamin D in winter, ha. Chants are very good, and pretty long season, I would say really good.
It was good to hear from you, Shroomtrooper. Like Old Elm and elmgirl, and others on the board, your experience and expertise are appreciated. I think I've run across Crown Tip Coral in the woods attached to a fallen limb, but when it coexists with the Morel, you don't give it much attention. I'll have to explore your suggestions and definitely look for the Chants, and possibly the Hedgehog Mushroom. This will be interesting.

I found crown tips this year but never gathered any. I found chants for the first time 2-3 years ago, I had to send oldelm a picture to help ID. Very easy now. Egg yolk color, white flesh, decurrent folds, not gills. Easy to spot. Pins even stand out. They are not every-ware tho, but once you find them they come up in the same spot every year. Hedgehogs a lot rarer in my experience. Seeing a lot ( well not a lot ) of mushrooms popping up now. I think I will stay on this site more this year to get help on some boletes.

Discussion starter · #593 ·
Thanks GD, I am not the most knowledgeable forager on the board by far, but have put on some miles over the years. Look what I found today, was a little surprised View attachment 8746 . Oldelm was out scouting in his neck of the woods so I thought I would check mine today
Well,well,Well!! Aren't you the sly one this year, you old FOX! Beautiful Chanterelles there Trooper, my hats off to you.

581 - 600 of 609 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.