2018 Indiana Morel Update

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by noskydaddy, Feb 15, 2018.

1. YES, Absolutely!

90 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. NO, I'm worried as always

42 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. MAYBE, it depends if @Vern will pull our averages down (again)

23 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. noskydaddy

noskydaddy Morel Connoisseur

Hi Everyone,

Since we had such a good thread last year, I thought I'd make a fresh one for 2018.

Can you please post your morel outings here for everyone to enjoy like last year?

I can feel it coming on even though it's only February.

Hope all you HOOSIERS are well!

@noskydaddy

2. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

Already getting the itch too looks like it will be a little later year than average

3. eternalsunking

eternalsunking Morel Connoisseur

I'm ready to jump into my second year of hunting. Already waking up to the spongy patterns in my dreams.

Where is a good place to buy some quality morel sacks for hunting?

1 person likes this.
  4. tommyjosh

There could even be some at WALMART

1 person likes this.
  5. finderoftheshrooms

finderoftheshrooms Morel Connoisseur

What up everybody so glad you're here.. It's F.O.T.S. with that flow back in your ear.. This ain't the fantastic voyage, but I'm still on a mission, to see if I can't get your attention.. Now I want to drop some information.. Just a little additive to your education.. I live my life by the code of the fungus.. 600 prime acres, shroom sacks in the trunk.. When I'm on the trail, I plan to fill my pail, so throw your hands up if you're down with the Morel.. 1 2 3, it's like A B C if shroom huntin didn't pay, I'd hike for free..
    Slide, slide, but that's that past, I got sumpin' brand new for that ass..

Sorry guys, I had to lol.. Nothing like starting the 2018 season off with a remix of some old school rhymes.. Hopefully we all kill the shrooms this year like that song killed Coolio's career.. I know we still have a little while to wait, but this weather is starting to give me the fever bad.. I can't wait to raid Brown county again.. This year, I won't forget to pack my compass lol.. I know last year we all talked about meeting up for a group hunt.. Are you guys still game? If so we need to get it planned, so everybody can put in for the time off work..

6. finderoftheshrooms

There's a guy on this forum, I believe his name is NutSac.. He makes and sells nice shrooms bags.. Just search his name on here and you should find him..

2 people like this.
  7. eternalsunking

Thanks, I found his etsy site.

Does anyone have a preference on bags: nylon vs cotton? large mesh vs small mesh?

Or do you just bring the darn bag lol

8. finderoftheshrooms

Small mesh definitely man.. The bigger mesh tears the shrooms up really bad.. I actually started using nylon bags last year, that have like a mesh vent around the bottom.. I'll dig them out and post a pic so you can see.. They are hands down the best shroom bags I've ever used.. I didn't have a good year last year, but I didn't break any shrooms that I found either..

9. finderoftheshrooms

20180216_183534.jpg
    20180216_183626.jpg
    20180216_184347.jpg
    Here are those bags man.. I fill them up a little over half way and then put them in my backpack.. I cover a lot of ground when I hunt and the mushrooms seem to hold up fine.. The solid mesh bags are kind of like sandpaper on the shrooms if you put the shrooms directly into them.. I figure the mesh vent at the bottom of the bag is big enough to let plenty of spores out..

1 person likes this.
  10. eternalsunking

1 person likes this.
  11. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

My wife found a large laundry bag with small mesh and cut it in half, sewed up the ends and put in a cinch rope, its the best bag I have ever used. The fabric is quite smooth so it doesn't damage the Mushroom. My brother insists on tying his bag to a belt loop which is very hard on the mushroom. But then he hunts barefoot so that may tell you a lot. Good luck this year.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  12. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

When I read the old school rhyme I thought it would be the band Lakeside with the song Fantastic voyage. If you enjoy old school music like Coolio I would suggest that you check out Fantastic voyage on Youtube. I hope you enjoy

2 people like this.
  13. finderoftheshrooms

Yeah, those bags should work just fine.. I honestly don't think it's that critical to use mesh sacks, but it definitely won't hurt anything.. When you pick a mushroom the spores get all over your hands and clothes.. You literally turn into a spore broadcasting machine while you're walking through the woods.. Not to mention every time you open your bag thousands of spores float into the air..

I actually saw the band Lakeside play live when I was 7 or 8.. The Ohio Players were at the state fair and Lakeside was there special guest.. I knew right then that I had to learn how to play the saxophone.. I've been hooked on funk music ever since.. I got to meet Bo Henderson in person, at a music festival in Dayton Ohio about 15 years ago.. He was singing with the Temptations and couldn't believe that a goofy white boy recognized him as the lead singer of Lakeside..

2 people like this.
  14. tommyjosh

I am from Minnesota thinking of going to southern Illinois/ Indiana do you think the season will start by April 1 - april 7 we don’t need big yellows all we need are little greys so my question is do you think it will be worth it to go that week

15. finderoftheshrooms

It's hard to say man, it really depends on the weather this year.. Last year me and a buddy hit Brown county on April 10th.. We spent about 12 hours in the woods, and hiked 22 miles.. We found like 5 small greys in total.. A couple days later, the forum blew up with people posting finds all over southern Indiana.. If you are from Minnesota, I wouldn't waste my time coming to Indiana.. You will be disappointed.. The mushroom hunting here is nowhere near as good as it is in Minnesota.. If you absolutely have to travel to get your mushroom fix, I would focus on hitting north central Kentucky the week of April 1st.. I'm actually not even sure what the laws are in Indiana for non residents.. I may be wrong, but I believe I've read non residents have to stay on the marked trails..

2 people like this.
  16. tommyjosh

Thank you for the advice

1 person likes this.
  17. finderoftheshrooms

Your welcome, glad I could help.. I done some research about non residents having to stay on the trails.. It looks like they changed that law in 2014.. So you are good to hunt any state owned properties in Indiana.. The only exception being nature preserves.. Nobody is allowed to forage for anything in nature preserves..

1 person likes this.
  18. tommyjosh

You can hunt national forests too right?

19. finderoftheshrooms

Yeah, your just not supposed to sell anything you find in the national forest.. I'm thinking about hitting Hoosier National Forest myself this spring..

2 people like this.
  20. tommyjosh

If we go early this year to Indiana we will probably go in that area looked and there looks like a lot of public land south of there. Is it hilly there and are there any other trees to look for besides elms and cottonwoods there.

1 person likes this.