2018 Iowa Morels

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Jan 31, 2018.

1. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

I'm still saying this is looking to be exactly like 2014. I'd not be expecting to see much posted other than a few thumb nail sized morels in the state for this weekend. Fact is that is was a slow spring to warm up, and it seems like no one has mentioned how very dry it is out.... a lot of them still are getting skunked in northern MO. Expect a short fast year folks. Expect to see 28-35$ a LB this year in Iowa

Morel Master and MycoMania like this.
  2. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

I hear you greys,, This is the latest in my life i have gone without picking a morel. All my spots south were so dry I decided to not drive all day to maybe get skunked. I think much of Iowa at least had moisture all winter. N. Mo is on the drought monitor. I would call $35 a bargain because I think some folks down here will not get any at all. I have yet to talk to a buyer that is filling their orders.

1 person likes this.

3. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Elmer buddy next time you start cutting cottons call me I'll help you as long as I get to come back next spring. You need about 6 months to a year after the cut, and then it will be good for 1-3 years for producing. Sometimes you just get toadstools. Back in the day when the farmers were clearing big bottoms around some rivers in N. Mo it was mother load all the time if you could find the spots.

4. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

kb ~ Only 1 year I've found my first later than today. Good call on the drive, still not looking good in N. MO due to the rain and the temps from what ive read. By today the temps should be good in N. Mo and S. IA.
    S. IA all the way up to about des moines is on the drought monitor here. We definately need a good soaking. This steady temps the last few days will really get things going. I think when/if we see some rain it would be better than. Some are starting to think the season is going to pass us by. Everyone just needs to chill out and be patient... they don't "pop" over night. Perhaps today I will get some more of my own soil temp readings ( The site is WAYY off this year incased you didn't notice ). Good luck My fellow Iowinians.

5. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Next week, follow the rain.

6. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

greys, cant really take the credit for not going way south. I have good morel fanatic picking friends who were busting their a-- day after day, and they all do way better than me down that way, and they were having a lot of hit and miss so I chickened out. Over 500 mile round trips are tough if you come up empty. On the other hand it is the only way to find new spots. It appears to me that most of the numbers are still south of I-70, but who can say it has been so dry. I picked my first 6 today on 2 elm. I think SG is right on the rain. Seems I did not need to chase rain as much 20 years ago.

7. manleyman

manleyman Morel Enthusiast

dryer than I thought, went into NW Mo, SE Ne, SW Ia today and the dirt roads looked like a car was in front of me with dust blowing on hill tops , dirty just crumbling every were I walked. hope the rain comes before it gets any hotter. good luck all

8. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

MM, yeah those spots you mentioned have a huge moisture deficit that started in the winter. There are a few places that caught a storm or two , but i don't see a bumper crop coming so far. Chance of thunder storms Tues-wed. When I can drive a Camry down dirt roads it is usually a bad sign unless it late season and they are already up.

9. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

My latest find in 53 years of looking and still waiting. Central Iowa almost 2 inches below normal rain for month after super dry fall 2017. Soil temp hit 53 on Monday and climbed since. Lilacs haven’t started to open bloom yet and another warm dry windy day, looked at good early spots yesterday and think I’ll do yard work today. Three days of rain for next week, hopefully it happens to give us a compressed by heavy early and mid season. Good news is ground cover isn’t growing either. Is it my spots, or is anyone finding some?

10. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Fun gus, that's awesome. Congrats! I'm just now heading to the woods--northern Wash Co. You post was everything I needed to get my head on right. WTG!

1 person likes this.
  11. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Rain is also forecast for western Iowa beginning about the middle of the week and continuing for a couple of days. I bet there’s a good flush ahead. What a strange spring.

12. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

Yes I seen that forecast. The Windy and dry weather will continue. Let's hope it doesn't get the ground too warm to fast.

1 person likes this.
  13. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

This weekend is when it will just start with all the rain should be pretty good. Saw there was a report north of Omaha

mnhunter11 likes this.
  14. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Morel Connoisseur

Thank you Jamie. You are correct in everyhing you have stated. You win. You are obviously the winner of the internet morel debate. Happy hunting.

15. Morel Master

Morel Master Young Morel

No shrooms yet for me, did find 2 ticks not attached thanks goodness...tornado warnings tonite. hail & wind! hopefully some moisture. My boy found 2 sm yellows under the leaves Sunday.
    SW IA

16. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Connoisseur

Near the Missouri River, Woodbury Co Tuesday evening, just starting up

Attached Files:

17. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Connoisseur

Sorry, this is the pic I meant to post, shrooming on

Attached Files:

18. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

Nice find huntergatherer!! Man it's hard waiting up here in MN!!!

19. Mush head61

Mush head61 Morel Enthusiast

Well I learned 1 thing never take your brother in law or very close friend I'll never come to your spot if I do I'll take you what did I find as I drove to this nice spot I have had for 10 years his truck and 3 of his buddies boy talk about pissed like he said I don't own the woods it was heated argument then his buddies started in on me while he sat back and laugh funny thing is I know the land owner he came down and I told him what was going on he told them to get the blank off his land and told them to pick up there beer cans told them if he ever caught them on his land they will pay the price that's how concirite these MORONS are never again will I ever show any1 a place by the way this farmer I always give him a lot if I get a big bag I let him take what he wants he's a great guy now I have to deal with my sister's husband no good s.o.b never found any I think by this week end it rain like hell down here now it's like a steady mist I think am going to find a lot down here he told me he's going to put up his no trespassing signs I have learned a great lesson i guess i was brought up to be honest when it come to people daying you cant come back

Stacy Gruis and (deleted member) like this.
  20. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

Looks like mother nature is giving us the middle finger.

Attached Files:

Inthewild likes this.